www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old April 8th, 2004, 12:33   #1
akio

Default Premium diesel in DC burbs?

Can anybody tell me where to find decent, reliable 45 or higher cetane diesel in and around DC, particularly northern Virginia (Arlington, Fairfax, Alexandria)? All I'm seeing along Route 1 and off 95 is 40 cetane in crummy stations where they can't even be bothered to fix the credit card reader.

There's an Amoco off Pennsylvania and 14th SE that carries "premium diesel," but the pump looks like it hasn't been used since McKinley's term. I used to go to the Crown off Route 1 across from Potomac Yards, but there's always a crowd of delivery vans and toothless inbreds blocking the one diesel pump that flows slower than molassas pie in January. Thanks!
akio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 13:11   #2
TheLongshot
Veteran Member

LukOil at Tysons is probably the best option.

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:45   #3
akio

That sounds familiar. Is it off Route 123 or Route 7? Does it do a lot of business?
Old April 9th, 2004, 07:24   #4
Tango_Kilo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49.3/44.0/36.2

[ QUOTE ]
That sounds familiar. Is it off Route 123 or Route 7? Does it do a lot of business?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're on 123 next to the Mobil at 123 and International Drive. They seem to do a decent amount of business. My TDI seems quieter on Lukoil. Current price = $1.799
Tango_Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 13:25   #5
mydeathbynapalm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52.5 best/45+ w/ current mods/39 how?

Never used the Lukoil place...and I may with this suggestion (price is good for this area)! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] High volume diesel traffic is key at any place in No VA...many stations that don't seem to get any traffic (ex: Chevron at Spring Hill Rd./Old Dominion Dr. w/ 40 cetane tag), stay away from them! I have filled up at the one on Rt. 1 you mentioned...a good amount of traffic at those pumps from what I remember. If you ever make a trek to Richmond, exit 104 on I-95 is prime.($1.49 right now...very high traffic on both the 40&45 cetane pumps) Even if the pump says 45, though they don't get much traffic, you're better off getting the 40 with high traffic. The Mobil at Rt. 7 and Springvale/Baron Cameron Pkwy gets good traffic (has 40 cetane tag though high price of $1.97 now). I use PowerService on every other tank as it is; so I'm not too concerned about 40 vs 45. (and I get 50 MPG consistantly [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

EDIT (what I found from doing a search in the forums):
"Luk Oil in Tysons Corner (Rt 123) has 50 Cetane fuel" This seems like a good place to go if they do indeed have decent diesel traffic!
mydeathbynapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 13:54   #6
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Fuel Economy: Old Passat 40 Mercedes 20

I have been using this station for several years.
It used to be a Getty station. One of our members actually had a sample of the fuel tested at one point I think it came back at 48+ Cetane. My cars run much quieter and less smoke on this fuel.
I also on my last 2 tanks have used the BP/Amoco on RT 7 not far from the Luk station with good results this station was revenvated last year to include new tanks advertised as premium Diesel cetane not advertised though 1.769
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 14:08   #7
TheLongshot
Veteran Member

I was wondering if someone had tried that BP station, since the price is a bit better than LukOil...

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 16:26   #8
mydeathbynapalm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52.5 best/45+ w/ current mods/39 how?

Is the BP/Amoco station east or west on Rt. 7 from 123?

I guess it is a matter of go with what you know works... $1.79 at Lukoil and as stated (though supplier could be different now?) above was tested at 48+, while none have yet stepped forward to test a sample of what BP/Amoco on Rt. 7 (while only $.03 cheaper) offers.

Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention to the cetane level, but I haven't noticed a difference between pumps labled 40&45+. Only my milage drops if fuel quality (which I associate more with how often the tanks are refreshed than cetane) deteriorates.
mydeathbynapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 18:35   #9
tomo366
TDI Lifer

BP is right next to the RT123 Interchange off RT 7 right next to the Ford dealer.
Luk Bought Getty
Old July 18th, 2004, 17:32   #10
lupin..the..3rd
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have been using this station for several years.
It used to be a Getty station. One of our members actually had a sample of the fuel tested at one point I think it came back at 48+ Cetane. My cars run much quieter and less smoke on this fuel.
I also on my last 2 tanks have used the BP/Amoco on RT 7 not far from the Luk station with good results this station was revenvated last year to include new tanks advertised as premium Diesel cetane not advertised though 1.769
I went over to this Lukoil next to tysons today. There was no cetane marking on their crufty looking no-credit-card-reader "auto diesel #2" pump.

There are many other local stations selling 40 cetane for close to $2/gal, so I find it hard to believe Lukoil is selling 50 cetane fuel for just $1.79.

I filled up there anyways, but I would like to get their fuel tested. Who/what/where do I send a sample to?
lupin..the..3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 13:39   #11
tomo366
TDI Lifer

AV Lube Charges 75.00 to do a fuel test
here
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:22   #12
BeyondAldebron

Fuel Economy: 36/42/50

On telegraph rd just off of 495 there is a HESS station that has 45. It seems to sell a fair ammount of diesel. Also there is another HESS station that has it, near fairfax county park way and rt 1 just in front of ft belvoir. Ive found that _most_ HESS fueling stations have 45. The BP/AMMOCO in tysons has 47 as well as the one off of sterling parkway just before RT 28. But if you live near old town, its a bit of a drive. So when you cant get AMMOCO, I use HESS.
BeyondAldebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:31   #13
PDJetta
Veteran Member

I fill up at the Route 1/Fairfax County Parkway Hess, or the Hess station about 6 miles North of that on Route 1, since I live right between the two and near Rt. 1. When I worked in the trucking industry, I was told Hess had just about the best diesel. Its just about the only brand labeled with a cetane more than 40. It also costs a bit less than the so called Texaco premium diesel, which I think is 40 cetane anyway.

--Nate
PDJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:48   #14
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

IIRC, this fall, a B20 public pump in Pentagon City
20IndigoBlue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:01   #15
akio

Quote:
On telegraph rd just off of 495 there is a HESS station that has 45. It seems to sell a fair ammount of diesel. Also there is another HESS station that has it, near fairfax county park way and rt 1 just in front of ft belvoir.
I've used the Telegraph Road Hess station, but found a closer one to where I live (Route 1 by the Five Guys burger place). 45 cetane and lots of truck business. Tysons is too much of a hike for me. It would be like those SUV drivers who drive 30 miles and blow half a tank of gas to save 2 cents a gallon.

Hope the Pentagon Biodiesel station opens up for real on 1 Oct. I've been hearing about it for over a year now.