www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 26th, 2004, 18:24   #1
krog

Default Tire chains or cables?

Need to carry something for ski trips. Looking at www.tirechain.com they have cables as well as what they call ultra low profile diamond tire chains. What works best for stock jetta wagon with avus rims and conti tires? I use diamond chains on the truck, but don't know if there is enough clearance on the jetta?
Thanks
Keith
krog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 19:46   #2
Don_Green

Fuel Economy: 50ish mpg (Imp)

Hi Keith,

Been doing the same thing as you, looking into chains or cables for an upcoming trip to British Columbia. I tried a set of chains similar to the diamond tire chain pictured on the car page of tirechains.com When I installed them I actually pulled one of the loops through which you tighten the chain apart, merely by hand tightening! I can't be certain if they are the same manufacturer, but from the photos they look identical...anyways I tried them out in our farmyard through 12" of snow and they worked super! Just like 4WD. Appeared to be lots of clearance between the chains and car. Nonetheless, after my fun I returned them to Canadian Tire for a refund.

My VW dealership in Winnipeg drew a blank regarding chains...I don't think anyone had ever asked them about chains before.

I contacted an automotive journalist from BC and he has had good luck with cable chains with his Michelin Arctic Alpin tires. I'll be getting some cable chains because I think their profile is less than diamond tire chains.

What I'll likely end up doing is stopping in Calgary and picking up the cable chains there from Kal tire, which has tire stores all over BC, and hopefully some expertise in the matter. They have chain info on the web at:

http://www.kaltire.com/retail/services/chains.php

There's gobs of other tire chain info on the web, as I've found out in the last couple of weeks.

You may have seen what happens when people have the incorrect size, go too fast or don't retighten their chains shortly after installation...gruesome effects on wheel well, car body, etc.

Sorry to run off at the mouth about an issue I know very little about...hope it helps,

Don
Don_Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 18:44   #3
zebrajeb
Veteran Member

I bought some of the diamond pattern tire chains and they work great! They go on super easy and there is enough clearance in the tire well. Wish I'd had them for those 6 years I spent living in the country in South Dakota!
zebrajeb is offline   Reply With Quote