www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 7th, 2003, 14:27   #1
JonS

Default Jetta body style change?

Hey,

I've been a fan of TDI's for a few years now and periodically visit TDIClub to see what's going on. I currently drive a Supra Turbo that is heavily modified. I am a big fan of the potential of forced induction...

Anyhow, I am thinking about purchasing an '04 Jetta TDI, but was wondering when they there will be a major body overhaul. There were some slight design modifications from '03 to '04, but still nothing major. It looks like the Passat will have significant design changes in '05, which is what prompted me to ask this question.

Thanks!
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 15:22   #2
Norman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Oleo Margarine

If history is any indicator, I s'pose you'll see the new A5 Jetta sometime around MY 2006.5 or so. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 17:34   #3
TDI_scooter

Fuel Economy: 48.9/47.0/44.5

FWIW, according to edmunds the next body style change is 2005. They don't have any pictures though.

Scooter
TDI_scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 21:18   #4
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-18 towing hwy

You'll see it next summer. Surf some European sites, they have some photos.
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2003, 20:45   #5
GotDiesel?
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 60/46/38

I just saw a '04 and there's more chrome and a built-in rear trunk lid spoiler. Different tail lights too.

I haven't seen the next gen Jetta pix yet. The A5 Golf looks significantly different. I imagine the Jetta will too.

But it won't be here until next year this time at the earliest.

www.vwvortex.com tends to have this kind of news as early or earlier than just about anywhere else.
GotDiesel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 05:58   #6
Toronto_Vento
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/48/44

If the trunk isn't a huge deal to you, I think the MK V Golfs are either in select locations or will be coming soon from what I have heard. (please correct me if I am wrong) Not surprising for the Passat to get the newer styling first, though.

Otherwise I would imagime that the cars should be here some time by 2005.

In the meantime, you can trade your car with mine. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Not that I don't love my diesel, but a heavily modified Supra must have a nice feel to it. I love the last gen body (sorry, don't know the model type) but coincidentally the one used in the Fast and the Furious.

What I wouldn't do to get a heavily modded Nissan Skyline in my hands. (okay...sorry...waaaaay off-topic)
Toronto_Vento is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:23   #7
JonS

Yeah, having a modded Supra is definitely fun, but expensive. I will be relocating to New Jersey next year, and a 700RWHP TWD w/ 315's on the rear probably won't handle the snow all that well. Though it would be a ton of fun to drift around on ice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Furthermore, while the car is relatively reliable, it isn't "always" reliable. Aftermarket turbos sometimes leak oil, every once and a while you have to change out a seal, I have to change the coolant a little more frequently, the clutch tends to wear a little more quickly, etc.. The threat of not being able to make it to work outweighs whatever fun I have with the car otherwise.

It’s sad that I am looking to get this car the year before a major model change [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Perhaps I can work something out…

I wasn't able to find any pictures of the new model, does anyone have any on hand?
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:27   #8
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-18 towing hwy

Lease one. Get it for 2 years. No issues with value on the turn in.
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 20:04   #9
kande
Veteran Member

there are really only minor changes, personally i hate the 04, i think the added chrome on the sides/grille look doofy... also the back lid of the trunk is curved out a bit... the tails are also different, i definatly approve of them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
kande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 20:46   #10
tdibigd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44/41/37

I agree with the chrome trim statement. It certainly wouldn't prevent me from buying one, but [inventing word here] "cheapifies" the looks of the car in my opinion.
tdibigd is offline   Reply With Quote