www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old October 1st, 2010, 03:48   #61
Sevenjays

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta

Thanks, Jef. A fellow TDI club member lives nearby. I might see if I can try it on his before I buy a setup for myself.

2004 Jetta TDI-stock PD BEW engine. JVC KD-805 w/factory speakers. Venectomy. 216,000 miles. M-1 TDT mafia member
99 6.5 Turbo Diesel 4X4 K2500 Suburban.
Sevenjays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:34   #62
VWV

Question.
For my 04 Jetta wagon I've seen lots of talk about Vag Com but what about this one.
http://www.obdcom.com/index.htm
I keep getting engine light on, especially in the winter and I'm tired of having to take it to the dealer to clear it.
Has anyone tried obdcom and compared it to Vag Com for the more simple requirements.
Thanks
VWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 16:44   #63
Keithuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
Best suggestion, none of the above. The best thing for ALL VW products is VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System).
Yes Don I bought myself VCDS for Christmas. Now the help pdf isn't much use and there is no help inside the different screens so I don't find it easy to get used to.

Keithuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 13:14   #64
Promaz

Default Looking for my OBD connection

Hi i have a 2003 Jetta TDI and i was looking for my OBD connection but can't find it, someone told me it could be in the back of my radio is that possible ? thank's for the reply.
Promaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 13:46   #65
Sebastian

You might find these images helpful...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ra_%281J/9M%29
Old March 17th, 2011, 03:04   #66
cosminwon

TDI(s): Passat B5.5

Hello!I have a question to the masters of diagnostic procedures!I have an 2002 1,9tdi Passat and the fuel injected quantity is too big.(8,5-10,3mg)With vds-pro,i read the standard value an its 32768.To modify the injected quantity i must change this value.If i raise or decrease this value,nothing happen and the quantity its the same.Do you have any ideea how i can decrease the quantity?Thank you!
cosminwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 19:32   #67
IA DPE

I own a '09 Jetta TDI and as far as I can tell the Micro Can should work for me. Is there any reason why I should consider the HEX USB CAN?
IA DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 02:35   #68
DanG144
Veteran Member

If you are positive you will never have an older car, and you do not want to help other owners, then you will never need it.

If you want to occasionally help out other users, spend the extra $50 and get the more flexible cable.
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:01   #69
Hornblower

I'm a newbie to VCDS. So far, I am communicating with the ECU and I want to start simply and carefully messing around with this thing. For starters, all I want to know how to do is to disable DRL and prime the fuel pump. Sorry if this is too basic but can anyone tell me how to do those two things? Thanks! --Ken B.
Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:48   #70
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
I'm a newbie to VCDS. So far, I am communicating with the ECU and I want to start simply and carefully messing around with this thing. For starters, all I want to know how to do is to disable DRL and prime the fuel pump. Sorry if this is too basic but can anyone tell me how to do those two things? Thanks! --Ken B.
Here's lots of info on VCDS tweaks for a MKVI car.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Coding-tweaks

Have Fun!

Don
Old April 8th, 2011, 13:31   #71
Hornblower

Thanks Don! That was very helpful and answered many of my questions. I still don't see anything about using VCDS to prime my TDI fuel pump. From what I understand, the newer TDI models don't prime simply by turning on the ignition but somehow, with VCDS, that important job can be done. Any tips on that? Thanks again-Ken B.
Old April 9th, 2011, 05:58   #72
Hornblower

I believe I found my answer on turbodiesel.com. According to info there, to prime the fuel pump on my TDI, I need to select 01-Engine, select 03-Output Tests, and run the sequential output test for at least 60 seconds and do that 3 times to insure a fully-primed fuel pumps. Does that sound like a good procedure? Thanks-Ken B.
Old April 9th, 2011, 07:05   #73
DanG144
Veteran Member

In the output tests you can choose which pump to run, and run either the lift pump or the aux pump. I would run the lift pump a couple of times using this method (have to go key off between runs, I think and start over), then I would go to basic settings #035 which runs both pumps at the same time, for several iterations.

That way you fill the filter canister, then remove any air from the aux pump, prior to starting the HPFP.
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:31   #74
Hornblower

To disable DRL, the menu was a little different tha I expected. It started off exactly as I expected however by first selecting 09-Cent. Elect., then 07-Long Coding, and then the Long Coding Helper. The next screen that appeared had the bytes listed horizontally, again as expected, so I clicked on them one at a time until I saw their sub-menus. I was looking specifically for a reference to Daytime Running Lights and didn't see that. What I did see was called something like "Permanent Running Lights via low beam" and that was under byte 85 about half way across. When I unchecked that box, I believe byte 85 became byte 81 and the DRL's turned off so I knew I did it right. I wish this car had true daytime running lights and not something that just turned my low beams on all the time.
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:49   #75
darrelld
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekA86 View Post
So, I haven't needed to use my vag-com in a while...and since last use I wiped my only windows laptop of M$ completely, and I have been a happy suse user since. So, is there any support for Mac or linux out there? I think my only option is running the program under wine, but I was wondering if anyone else has tackled this problem, and how you did it. Thanks folks
You may want to try Virtualbox.