www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old March 25th, 2010, 06:46   #46
adocars

Fuel Economy: 39 on 2nd tank of fuel
Default VCDS and Bentley CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDiesel06
I have an '06 Jetta TDI and my current OBD2 (usable on all 3 of my '97 Audi A6) reads "ERROR" when scanned. I have an engine indication light light. Is there a newer style OBD2 I need for the '06 vintage or TDI vs. gas?
I have a totally worthless ebahn manual. It does not run on Windows 7 and Bentley does not reply favorably with a reliable workaround. They speculate with user reported workarounds (like a $90 upgrade to windows) that might work. It's no the $90, it's the might part that irritates me.

So I have a CEL
Autozone scantool say P0183 fuel temp sensor.
circuit might be open, might be short, might have a bad sensor.

It reset,
it came back in two weeks.
It resets with the ignition key, switch 4 times on-off without starting.

I don't mind laying out the money for the VCDS and dongle, but will it be useful without the Bentley manual?
adocars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:21   #47
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adocars
I have a totally worthless ebahn manual. It does not run on Windows 7 and Bentley does not reply favorably with a reliable workaround.

I don't mind laying out the money for the VCDS and dongle, but will it be useful without the Bentley manual?
In my opinion the eBahn manual is mostly useless with any Windows version. It has some serious bugs with printing (and other things), plus the DRM is a real PITA sometimes. I strongly suggest the paper manual from Bentley. (I have both)

That said: VCDS is can still be useful even without the manual.

Have Fun!

Don
Old March 25th, 2010, 13:43   #48
adocars

Default ebahn manual , VCDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09
In my opinion the eBahn manual is mostly useless with any Windows version. It has some serious bugs with printing (and other things), plus the DRM is a real PITA sometimes. I strongly suggest the paper manual from Bentley. (I have both)

That said: VCDS is can still be useful even without the manual.

Have Fun!

Don
Yes, indeed, $125 frisbee (CD)
Paper manual is as much, and Bentley is the only resource. Right?

thanks,
WES
Old March 25th, 2010, 15:14   #49
Deevo_3000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 / 50

Get the paper Bentley manual. It is good, very thick.
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:21   #50
adocars

Default VCDS now seat heat

Po183 problem now solved. Exactly what I said it was. The dealerships charged me $100 diagnostic, then backed that out of a $243 bill to change out the fuel temp sensor. Net was $143.
However, a little 2 pin plug was left dangling near the port. And my drivers seat heater went off-scale high. Tried to pull a plug and got the airbag one angry at me. Another $100 reset. Changed this to general topic thread. "Holy Smokes..."
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:39   #51
ampsfse2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Derf
Below are the links to VAG-COM FAQs and references. If you are aware of others that should be here, let me know.

If you have some technical references or FAQ's for other OBD Scanners, let me know and I'll start a "sticky" for that as well.

Here is the current "list":
<ul type="square"> [*] VAG-COM FAQ [*] Common Diagnostic Procedures
* Ross-Tech TDI section
* 1998-2003 VW MkIV Golf/Jetta/New Beetle Information Page[*] TDI Timing Checker (not for PDs)[*] "Aftermarket Radio Problem" [*] "Butt Dyno" Instructions [/list]
where can i find the measuring and block code numbers? please help! thanks. 2001 vw tdi.
ampsfse2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:50   #52
Warthog
Veteran Member

TDI(s): see Bio
Fuel Economy: VW:49-53 depends on car, 40-0n the B5
Default Cost justification

Quote:
Originally Posted by adocars
Po183 problem now solved. Exactly what I said it was. The dealerships charged me $100 diagnostic, then backed that out of a $243 bill to change out the fuel temp sensor. Net was $143.
However, a little 2 pin plug was left dangling near the port. And my drivers seat heater went off-scale high. Tried to pull a plug and got the airbag one angry at me. Another $100 reset. Changed this to general topic thread. "Holy Smokes..."
Which is why we buy the VAGCOM and learn to dink around with our own vehicles. It only takes a couple of dealer-workshop (?) errors to easily equal the cost of your own tools. They are notorious for this sort of thing.
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 18:06   #53
jjcsnlynn
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG144 View Post
There is plenty of boost information, it is called MAP (manifold absolute pressure) and measured in millibars.
You are used to seeing boost in psi, probably. You can find conversion data online. Remember to subtract atmospheric pressure.

If you print out the label files with a text reader, such as notepad, you can read through the groups and find what you need. It is best to log RPM, specified MAP and actual MAP, and N75 duty cycle.
I just bought the VAGCOM cable to try to fix my wifes 1.8T. I'm trying to find a list of groups. Can someone tell me how to do the statement above?
04 2500 HD Duramax Diesel 4x4
jjcsnlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 19:08   #54
DanG144
Veteran Member

Hook up the VCDS to the car. Turn on the key.
choose Select, Engine, Measuring blocks, look in the upper left corner of the screen for the file named xxxx.lbl.

Double click on that file and it opens up with NOTEPAD. Then you can print it or note the path, and do whatever you wish with it.
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:05   #55
Chappy99

Fuel Economy: 48 MPG (mostly highway)

I know it's been a while since anyone's posted in this tread but just wanted to let anyone in the West Central Illinois area know that I've got a VAG-Com. I have no clue as to how to use it, still learning that part but I've got one if anyone in the area needs to use it...and knows how.
Old August 16th, 2010, 19:05   #56
ronaldleemhuis

I too am playing around with my new scanner and the VCDS Release 10.6 software. Yesterday I hooked it up to read and log the temperatures before and after the DPF along with the elapsed time in seconds from a cold start. I then plotted a graph of the temperatures before and after the DPF vs. elapsed time in seconds. This was for a suburban drive of about 1000 seconds and 5 miles.

I am not sure what to make of this, but it appears that on average the temperatures after the DPF are greater than before, and that the peak output temperature for this short jaunt were about 300 deg C.

This record is in a spreadsheet, and I'd like to include the graph in this post but can't figure out how to make the picture show up on the post. Well... you can use your imagination for now.

I was trying to see what kind of temperatures were being attained in short trips around town. It appears that the average inlet temperature was about 225 degrees even in this short trip.
ronaldleemhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:22   #57
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

for picture posting
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=207484
300c sounds really hot
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:40   #58
ronaldleemhuis

Default Temperatures in and out of DPF -- graph for short trip.

Thanks. I was able to upload the gif file, but for some reason I couldn't get the url to link it into this post. I think I saw that I may not have privileges to do so. Hmm...

Here's the url of the graph.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...t-dpf&cat=4976
ronaldleemhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:56   #59
Sevenjays

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta

One thing I haven't figure out from Ross-Techs sight or threads here on the forum is if the VCDS system can be used on other manufactures. I own a 1999
Chevy Suburban with a diesel in it (so it sort of applies, right?). Will it work on that? I currently own Auterra software and have a OBD II cable that connects to my laptop. It doesn't do much of anything for either vehicle. I would like to buy one thing, not a special system for the TDI and another for the 'Burb.

Can VCDS do both?

2004 Jetta TDI-stock PD BEW engine. JVC KD-805 w/factory speakers. Venectomy. 216,000 miles. M-1 TDT mafia member
99 6.5 Turbo Diesel 4X4 K2500 Suburban.
Sevenjays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:39   #60
jef@rosstech
Associate Ross-Tech Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenjays View Post
One thing I haven't figure out from Ross-Techs sight or threads here on the forum is if the VCDS system can be used on other manufactures.
Depends. If other cars use the same protocol of OBDII that VW and Audi use, then yes, you can pull generic OBD II data with VCDS:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/obd-2.html

Quote:
Generic OBD-II functionality is "Supported" only on VW, Audi, Seat, and Skoda cars. It will likely work on many other brands of cars. We'd be happy to receive feedback as to what other brands and models of cars it does and does not work on, however, we do not feel obligated to make it work on other manufacturer's cars.
I have personally done this on Honda, Volvo, Subaru, BMW and an older Jeep Cherokee.

What should you do first with VCDS? AUTOSCAN!
jef@rosstech is offline   Reply With Quote