www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 29th, 2003, 05:43   #1
TDICruiser

Default do bad tires cause vibration?

I have 03 Golf 5sp with goodyear tires.
I get vibration from the gas pedal and chasis. Should I replace my tires? What else can I do to fix that?
Thanks.
TDICruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:55   #2
MaxThrust
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99.5 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 53mpg @ 85mph (best run)

Right now I am seeing a similar issue. I have some no-name tires on my Jetta...they came with the car when I bought it used and I haven't had the cash to replace tires with tons of tread left. (Just purchased all the parts for a tb change.) They are terrible, they vibrate, and are loud as hell. A constant droning coming from them keeps my windows rolled up in otherwise beautiful weather. You could also see this behavior from a number of other causes. A thrown wheel weight will do the same thing. A bent rim will also cause the issue. I am sure there are other possible causes, but I would look at these few items first. They are relatively easy to find and generally not as costly as other items that may cause the issue.

Mike [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
MaxThrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 06:11   #3
LWB053

I just sold my last Honda, and it had Dayton Daytonas on it...they made the whole car vibrate. You had to have both hands on the wheel at > 80 mph. Trying to see anything in the rear view mirror was useless at that speed. I had them balanced numerous times. The problem was the wear pattern they developed.

Does your vibration get worse as speed goes up? What about noise level? Is it better or worse in turns?

Keith
LWB053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 06:23   #4
TDICruiser

[ QUOTE ]
LWB053 said:
I just sold my last Honda, and it had Dayton Daytonas on it...they made the whole car vibrate. You had to have both hands on the wheel at > 80 mph. Trying to see anything in the rear view mirror was useless at that speed. I had them balanced numerous times. The problem was the wear pattern they developed.

Does your vibration get worse as speed goes up? What about noise level? Is it better or worse in turns?

Keith

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll have to pay more attention in turns, but I get constant vibration and I feel it mostly at highway speeds and even worse on rough surface.
Old October 29th, 2003, 07:51   #5
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-18 towing hwy

Bad tires are almost always the cause of a vibration. Maybe a bent rim, but usually tires. If it happens when you brake it is bad rotors.
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:27   #6
TDICruiser

[ QUOTE ]
jasonTDI said:
Bad tires are almost always the cause of a vibration. Maybe a bent rim, but usually tires. If it happens when you brake it is bad rotors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jason, so which ones you recommend I should get instead of the goodyear?
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:36   #7
cjric
Veteran Member

Is the vibration fast or slow? First thing to try is to swap your tires front to rear. If you have a bad shock or worn steering/suspension component in the front, it can cause one or both tires to scallop, which will cause a vibration. Alos, you could have thrown a weight and have a tire out of balance. Another thing that could cause a vibe is a broken belt in one of the tires.

If you swap the tires and the vibe goes away, swap one, then the other back to the front and isolate the tire thats causing the problem. Will be easier and cheaper to take care of one tire with a known problem than just replacing all 4.

If nothing changes once the tires are swapped, then the vibe is probably due to a worn suspension or steering component.
cjric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:42   #8
LWB053

If it happens only when you are braking, it may be a bad rotor, or it may be that the problem is limited to or more pronounced on the front of the car.

Posible sources of vibration while driving could be an improperly installed wheel, loose lug bolts, out of balance or out of round tire, wheel bearing, CV joint, bent or off-balance half-shaft, strut/spring problem, steering joint problem, etc.

That's why I'd like to know more about the symptoms. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Then we can help point to a reasonable "narrowing down" process.

Let's say that it happens in straight driving, at a given speed. Can you increase the symptoms by accelerating (shifting the weight to the rear axle) or by decelerating (shifting the weight to the front axle)? If so, rotate the tires front-to-back, and see if the symptoms follow the tires (pointing to a tire/wheel problem), or stay the same (pointing to suspension/hub/axle problem).

Keith
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:44   #9
PetethePilot
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 imp 56 imp 49 imp

If you want to be sure. Go to a tire place and have your wheels put on the tire balancer. It might be just one wheel. If your running with 16 or 17 inch wheels the vibration can be worse. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
PetethePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:45   #10
LWB053

Also, I'd advise making sure you know the source of the problem before you put new tires on your car. If the tires are crappy and just worn badly, that's one thing...but if you have bad struts or something, you could possibly turn your new tires into bad tires in a fiarly short amount of time.

Keith
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:54   #11
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-18 towing hwy

guys, i said tires specifically due to it being an 03'. miles are probably low enough to rule out worn components. i would get an alignment though if you get new tires.
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:00   #12
SoCalJames
Veteran Member

Howdy- My 2K TDI came with the Goodyear Eagle LS tires. I have a friend that bought a 1.8T @ the same time with the same tires. We both had vibrational problems w/ the Eagle LS tires. They were very crude! We both now have Continental Touring Contacts CH95. They are about 60 bucks on tirerack.com and they are whisper quiet, but screachy on corners. Good luck!
SoCalJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:00   #13
SoCalJames
Veteran Member

Howdy- My 2K TDI came with the Goodyear Eagle LS tires. I have a friend that bought a 1.8T @ the same time with the same tires. We both had vibrational problems w/ the Eagle LS tires. They were very crude! We both now have Continental Touring Contacts CH95. They are about 60 bucks on tirerack.com and they are whisper quiet, but screachy on corners. Good luck!
SoCalJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:26   #14
IndyVW
Veteran Member

I had a 99 1/2 Jetta that came with those tires...the tread life was very good. I had about 60K miles on them before I replaced them (and they had more to go)...but they were TERRIBLY noisy. They were noisy even early on in their life. I got rid of them because of the noise.

I went to tirerack.com and found some H rated Sumitomo tires that I was very happy with (and they were about $55 a piece as I recall). That's been a couple years ago, though.

I just bought my new golf in August...and guess what...I have those darn Goodyears again! Oh well.
IndyVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 10:44   #15
TDICruiser

Thank you all for the help.
I think I'll start with checking my wheel alignment. Then tire swapping.
I wish the dealerships were more helpfull. Especially for someone who doesn't have the know how. The car is only a month old and both dealerships in my area treat me like I have nothing to do but to bother them. It makes me feel bad because I like the car, its my second TDI, but bad dealerships, if you are not a mechanic inclined person, can turn you away from a car.
If it wasn't for this great board, I bet VW would have had to close more then a few dealerships.
Thank you all. I still love my spirited TDI and can't wait to put the chip on. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]