www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old October 1st, 2003, 18:01   #1
Kennedy
Veteran Member

Default Automatic folding mirrors, installed, PICS/MOVIE

After MUCH pestering of Lito for help, I quickly figured out I am idiot... I must learn to follow instructions. If you plan on doing this please do exactly what these instructions say.

Finally got my automatic folding mirrors installed. Watch them in action here (1MB Download):
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3050/10...dingMirror.MPG

Here they are:

This mod has been documented here before, and it is quite expensive, but cool factor is way up there. I HAD to have it.

First, a parts list. The parts listed are for late 2001 models and beyond (vehicles with dynamic Can-Bus). The parts list is the same for 2000 and before vehicles, but the parts are different.

Window motors,
drivers 1C0 959 801B,
passenger 1C0 959 802C

German electrically operated/heated folding mirrors
Drivers side: 1J1 857 507 (F or G) F - without memory, G- with memory
Passenger side 1J1 857 508 (F or G or AM), one is the stubby mirror...

Newer style mirror control knob with folding mirror control: 1J1 959 565 A

Wiring, easy...
you'll need two 000 979 131 A wires and two scotchlock connectors...
T12 is the mirror harness, T29 is the window motor/controller harness________________
Driver's side: T12/1 to T29/13, T12/3 to T29/9
Passenger's side: T12/1 to T29/16, T12/3 to T29/26

Take the scotchlocks and on the mirror harness scotchlock pin 2 and 8 together. Wiring done.
This is the same for all vehicles regardless of year.

Ways to cheapen the mod:
Since the folding mirrors are controlled by the window motors they have to be replaced. The Jetta motors don't have the proper electronics installed in them. The only difference between standard Jetta motors and Bora motors with folding mirrors is the electronics inside them. I studied the motors for a while and then decided they can't be much different than the Passat window motors. Passats in the US come with an optional "folding mirror with memory" optiion. So...., long story short, I located a pair of used Passat window motors from a 2002 vehicle with folding/memory mirrors from car-part.com... German Bora motors new are about $250 per, I paid $75 for the pair of Passat motors. Turns out the only difference between the Bora and Passat motors is the housing. 2 minutes of dissassembly and the "electronics" can be swapped into your existing Jetta window motor housings creating "frankenmotors" that are identical to Bora folding mirror motors. You just saved well over $400

Now locating the actual mirror housings is a different story, I suggest you hit up your favorite European parts dealer (Chad Kendrick, seems to be getting good prices recently)... or, you may be able to aquire a used set from Europarts Solution (Nathan), if you can catch him.
That's all there is to it.

Wiring in the memory fuction is an adventure I'll do later, as the memory function is controlled by the memory seat controller...

Bonus features... Lito and Eric have these, and they report that thier mirrors won't fold/unfold with the vehicle moving. Not sure what the difference is, maybe the frankenmotors, but my mirrors fold at will. I was going 80mph this morning, tried em out, sure enough they folded, and I got 10 free HP due to reduced wind resistance! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Once again, Lito, thanks for the help. I wired the T12/2-8 incorrectly and we spent about a month mailing spare parts back and forth to each other trying to diagnose the problem.

Enjoy...
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 18:13   #2
SVTWEB
Veteran Member

Looks good Captian Chris!

FYI.. My mirros also fold at speed, so I guess it's a 2002 and later thing. I also stumbled upon an interesting find when I installed the German wiring harness in the door. The European wiring harness is setup for a mirro switch with the heating function. The European mirror heating is triggered off of the Rear window defroster switch. That solution solves the problem of leaving your mirros on and burning them out. Now they are on the timer with the rear defroster.
SVTWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 18:59   #3
Kennedy
Veteran Member

Hmmm... neat. So does the heating function trigger off the mirror switch anymore?
Do you have to replace both door harnesses to get this functionality?
Old October 1st, 2003, 19:36   #4
TDI_ESEL
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Could we officialy re-title this thread to something along the lines of "pissing-away-money-for-absolutely-no-reason-mod"?

Just my $.02.
TDI_ESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 19:48   #5
Kennedy
Veteran Member

ESEL, what's your hobby so I can make fun of you for it.
Do you make fun of every hot-rod, custom, rice rocket you see...?
I piss a lot of money on my VW, V-rod, HK pistols, Xterra, the list goes on. You only live once my friend.
Take your .02 cents and put it in a retirement fund...
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old October 1st, 2003, 20:30   #6
TheLongshot
Veteran Member

I also wonder what the point of this mod is, other than the "cool" factor. Actually a serious question. Why do you want motorized folded mirrors for?

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 20:41   #7
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

IF you ever have to park on a narrow city street the folding mirrors are very good, of course you could pull them in yourself. But those that live on streets like that know what i am talking about.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 20:41   #8
Kennedy
Veteran Member

Cool factor... Just another gadget to play with, like the "levelling motors" installed in the headligths. I didn't pay anywhere near that amount for these either. I've done a lot of wheeling and dealing trading various parts and such to aquite these parts.

The purpose they serve in europe is to prevent your mirrors from being whacked off from passing traffic due to much tighter roads.
I turn them in every time I park to prevent in roving thugs from smashing into them.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:40   #9
SVTWEB
Veteran Member

Chris,

It is useless to argue with those who either have 1) No class, 2) No money, or 3) Jealous of what others have because they have the inability to come up with things on their own.

I constantly get flamed for my vehicles (BMW & VW) because it take the time to revert them both back to their European Specifications with options not available here in the states. I find that a kind smile, a begrudging laugh, and an ice-pick to the back of the head (ala goodfella's) makes them go away...

Oh.. and I didn't know you were into H&K also! I have a USP Tactical and Mk23 SOCOM. I'm a 45ACP kind of guy.. My basic carry is a Sig 220, but my city carry is my trusty Glock 21... 13 down 1 up... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Ask Lito about "other" toys....
Old October 2nd, 2003, 06:20   #10
Kennedy
Veteran Member

Yepper.
6 USPs total (all of which have ahmm... preban mags with extensions 18 down and one in the hole!). The collection really is quite impressive, each pistol has 3 extra barrels. 1 6.02in USP match barrel, 1 5.56in threaded barrel, and 1 aftermarket with non-polygonal riflings for shooting lead. I can convert ALL 4 of my full size USPs into either a "Tactical" or "Match" clone. I have an aimpoint XD-90 mounted on the OEM USP sight mount with OEM compensator (collectors items). I have a Doctor Optics reflex on the .45 (my favorite), I can zing quarter sized groups at 25 yds without trying. Each USP has it's own tactical light/laser. It really is ridiculous. Also have a couple of Sigs, and Walther P22 cap gun... not a Glock fan yet... my next purchase will be a 1911 variant (Kimber probably).

I'm also a curious and relics ffl, so if you ever want an old Garand or M1, see me.

Lito told me you have some scary stuff, but he didn't know what it was. Probably an Armalite AR-15 with free float barrel (that's what I would have), and maybe a Car-15 with full tactical rigging for closer in. Probably a Sprinfield M-14 in there somewhere as well.

Enough dorking out on guns, any questions on the folding mirrors?
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:52   #11
Michael Moore
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: one tank every 60 days

Sorry for the dumb question, but what's a "USP"? (I'm Canadian - we don't know much about this topic).
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 11:18   #12
Kennedy
Veteran Member

Heckler and Koch "Universale Selbstlade Pistole" or Universal Self-Loading Pistol, arguably the finest semi-automatic pistol on the market.

Old October 2nd, 2003, 11:23   #13
cosmic
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/42/38

[ QUOTE ]
Michael Moore said:
Sorry for the dumb question, but what's a "USP"? (I'm Canadian - we don't know much about this topic).

[/ QUOTE ]

USP = Universal Self-Loading Pistol. Its a Semi-Automatic handgun from HK (Heckler & Koch) Comes in a variety of configurations, some of which have been mentioned above.

I don't own one, but have looked at them as they are considered to be extremely reliable. I really can't say too much though as I am a noob in this arena.
cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 11:30   #14
SVTWEB
Veteran Member

And then you have the Big-Daddy......
Old October 2nd, 2003, 11:33   #15
tongsli
Veteran Member

Chris,

I'm on a need to know basis only [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Most of the stuff I don't ask and don't want to know either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I too have the folding mirrors. So, if you'd like to tell me what I should be spending my money on, go right ahead if it makes you feel better about yourself [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] you won't offend me in anyway.

Our neighborhood has two way streets that are narrow and require one person to yield along the curb lane in order for two opposing cars to pass each other. Michael, Eric and Jerry have all been to my house and know what I'm talking about.

Next time you see someone with a duct-taped mirror, you can think of us and have a nice smile [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Keep in mind the mirror housing(new) is $200, the glass is $30.00, the cap is another $27.00 unpainted.

So, if you are unfortunate to have someone destroy your mirror I'll sell you a used one for a good price!

L

PS. Props to Chris for pulling an SVTWEB-style mod-mod on the Frankenmotors [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Great idea and even better execution [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote