www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old September 9th, 2003, 13:39   #1
Herm TDI

Default Stanadyne 2 micron filter results

Ok folks...Here is some info on the Stanadyne FM-100 W/2 micron filter.
I just did an autopsy an a filter that I had run for 15K miles....Sweet...I could have easily run another 10K miles without any problem. I decided to swap out this filter just so I could see for myself what was happening inside of the filter.
I'm running just the 2 micron Stanadyne filter. The OEM filter is simply a water can (I've removed the guts from the OEM filter) which I've retained the diverter valve so the injection pump can function without any likelyhood of cavitation problems.
I was very impressed with just how clean this filter was after 15K miles. Those of you that are considering to go with a better filter... No matter which brand or style you go with....its much better protection for your pump & injectors....BTW..I love that fuel heater in the Stanadyne FM-100...Sweeeet.
Remember....to keep your pump & injectors happy. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Feed them... clean, warm fuel.
Herm TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 13:48   #2
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

have you done a fuel quality test pre- and/or post- filter?
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 17:46   #3
Herm TDI

Howdy Weedeater,
No...I havn't done any quality tests...just the usual visual inspections of the filter media. I've done several A-3 & A-4 fuel filters at verious mileage intervals...and it comes doem to this....Find a good, clean fuel supply..and stick with that vendor. I've been buying my diesel fuel from the same sourse for the past 10 yrs..and I've been very lucky compaired to some of the filters that I've seen from other parts of New England.
Old September 9th, 2003, 18:57   #4
g_c_oster

Herm,

I used to work in a test lab for Ag tractors, and one of the prescribed validation tests we used to run was a "Fuel Tank Test" where we put in ~1/4 of a tank of diesel, and ran it until it was nearly empty, at full throttle, full load, at 110 F. What we typically saw, in almost all cases, was that you could lose as much as 10% of your power due to density changes of the fuel, and because the hot fuel was thinner and squezzed past the plungers causing slightly less fuel to be injected. Of course, some machines were more susceptible to this than others (Perkins vs. Cummins). The remedy was to install a fuel cooler, that the return fuel would flow through before returning to the tank. So, to get to my point, why would cooler fuel make for a happier injection system? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] From my experience, the cooler the fuel and intake air (to a point of course), the better. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
g_c_oster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 11:29   #5
Herm TDI

because.....warm fuel lubericates the pump better than cold fuel...also...the internal electronic fuel temp sensor is one of the input sensors that is used to determine duration and volume of injected fuel quanity
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:00   #6
Karmann-diesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49ish

Herm, I've been considering one of these Stanadyne filter heads also. I have a few questions for you... Did you go with the 100w or 150w heater unit? Do you have the heater attached to a switch so you can turn it on & off, or is it just thermostatically controlled? Was is difficult to find power to run the heater unit?

Thanks in advance,
Karmann-diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 16:14   #7
Herm TDI

Howdy Karmann-diesel
From my understanding based upon the info given to me by a local Satnadyne distributor (Connell Diesel of Portland Maine) the heaters are based upon your system voltage...24VDC you use the 150 Watt....12VDC you use the 100 watt.
For electrical power.. I installed a vacuum switch. A vacuum switch turns the power on only when the engine is running. I simply attached directly to the battery Pos & Neg...with a 10 amp inline fuse to protect the circut. Using a vacuum switch in this fashion gives you the power you need without having to tap into any of the car's sensitive circuitry. Also.....with a vacuum switch this cuts off the power when-ever the engine is not runnig...saving a drain on the battery.

PS if you want some photos of my installation...drop me an e-mail
Old September 12th, 2003, 08:24   #8
shmcquilkin
Veteran Member

Hi Herm,

Thanks for the pix! I'll be doing the same before Fall hits.

Would you mind posting the switch model #, and if it had any presets? It's an Air-Logic isn't it?

Thanks again. Talk with you soon.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
shmcquilkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 08:40   #9
shmcquilkin
Veteran Member

Hi Karmann-diesel,

If you're interested there is a GREAT diesel performance shop in Bangor which is a Stanadyne dealer, stocking the FM100 and heater elements. Most of the folks there have VW TDIs even though they were initially a diesel truck service. They are an awesome bunch, very professional and clean and are a wealth of info (they have the Van Aaken box, do injectors, chips, anything you're interested in). Corey, Reggie and Peter are my contacts there:
http://www.stanadyne.com/dsg/dsg_dea...p?dealerID=129

There's one in Portland, too, as I think you're down there (from your email address) but I don't know them:
http://www.stanadyne.com/dsg/dsg_dea...sp?dealerID=81

Also, Stanadyne's site isn't too helpful. You need to reliable industries to see what's available for the FM-100:
http://www.reliableindustries.com/inv/stan/1_fm100.php

Take care! Just ask if you need anything.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Here's my FM-100, before installing the heater, and my Eclipse CCV bypass:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...=14&fpart=1
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:57   #10
tonyp
Veteran Member

I've been curious about these too. Does anyone know prices for filter, head unit, heater, glass bowl, whatever else might be useful?
tonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2003, 18:13   #11
Light

Reliable industries has good pricing on FM100 pieces/parts.

Don't bother wiring a vacuum switch, just hook up the power to the 75x terminal, it's ignition hot, meaning it only comes on when the ignition is on.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 17:19   #12
shmcquilkin
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip Light, man, that's a good one!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:58   #13
pepper10
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 Avg

Hi Herm,
I am interested in the Stanadyne 2 micron filter system. Which part numbers did you get for your kit (head, element, botom bowl?)?
Thanks
pepper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 21:13   #14
danix
Veteran Member

Get me part numbers and I can source them.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 15:28   #15
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28mpg@74mph: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon

Quote:
Reliable industries has good pricing on FM100 pieces/parts.

Don't bother wiring a vacuum switch, just hook up the power to the 75x terminal, it's ignition hot, meaning it only comes on when the ignition is on.
I have a FM100 on order and would like to wire the filter heater to the "75x terminal" but I don't know what or where that is. Can anyone help me out with a photo or good description?

TIA!
SUNRG is offline   Reply With Quote