My Lilredjettdiwagon

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Tornado Red
Finally, I have complied a few pictures of my four month old '03 Tornado Red Jetta Wagon GLS.

Completely stock 03/06/03

Monte Carlo wheels 06/18/03

After putting the Monte Carlo wheels, probably could use a little drop 06/17/03

Really like the OEM splash guards with white VW logos on rear and black VW logos on the front 07/02/03

Just wondering if I end up upgrading the suspension, what would be the best choice so that it would be lowered fair amout yet the ride would not necessarily be too harsh 07/02/03

Splash guards and Monte Carlo wheels 07/02/03

Finally, our lil red with my wife and daughter in front of Grapevine Lake 03/09/03

Long awaited/anticipated Long Beach finally on my <font color="red"> lilred </font> 11/21/03

Anyone selling any BBS RC's?

Love'em

Happy Motoring

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice car, especally like those VW badged mud flaps, looks real sharp
Thanks Mike
I really liked the mud flaps, especially because they are now perhaps quite uncommon; not a big deal, but I kinda like'em. I'm glad that you do too

I really like my TDI, I bet you will like your Golf too. Good luck

Mike656

Thanks, I just recently test drove a Golf TDI for the first time and was really impressed with the low end torque, sure was a breath of fresh air after testing out a Civic Hybrid (still a nice car but not enough power). I will probably have my Golf (or Jetta if I change my mind again
) by the end of the year.

jasonwiley

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS, Alaska Green
Just wondering if I end up upgrading the suspension, what would be the best choice so that it would be lowered fair amout yet the ride would not necessarily be too harsh 07/02/03
I am looking at the H&R Cup Kit. It lowers 2", and I've heard that the ride quality is pretty good. It's also a lot cheaper than coil overs (about 600 bucks vs. about 1,300 for coil overs). Haven't done it yet, but I will when the money comes. Love the Monte Carlo wheels - I wish they had been an option on the TDI (who thought of that? Sheesh..). I'm looking for a set of 17"ers myself.

newflyer22

Veteran Member
TDI
(former) 2003 Golf GL TDI Reflex Silver/ Black
Great-looking wagon! I would like those mudflaps, too, but I heard they are no longer for sale, at least not being manufactured. I don't know if it is true or not. Your car looks great and please keep updating pics as you make changes. Did yours come with the new cuphoders between the front seats? Any other mod plans aside from suspension? Have fun!

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI
I just did the cupkit, and have to say that i love it. however it is a pretty hard ride, probably nothing your wife would like. and everytime you ride down a road with a few bumps or potholes, your kid will be waking up. it does handle very very well though.

I am looking at the H&R Cup Kit. It lowers 2", and I've heard that the ride quality is pretty good. It's also a lot cheaper than coil overs (about 600 bucks vs. about 1,300 for coil overs). Haven't done it yet, but I will when the money comes.

VWBoraTDI90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
April 2001 Volkswagen BORA TDI, GLS, 90 hp, 5 speed, silver ext/black int, cold package
Great-looking wagon

Jordan

curtloatb

TDI
Bora wagon. '02, Indigo Blue
Nice wagon!
I just recentley put on an FK cup suspension kit for my wagon. It lowered it 1.4" -not to harsh. Look up FKnorthamerica.com and check out the different kits-It cost me $495.

RollAway

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI Wagon
Looking good!

Have you had time to run a couple of tanks of fuel through yet to see if the wheel/tire change affected the mileage and/or performance yet?

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
I just recently test drove a Golf TDI for the first time and was really impressed with the low end torque, sure was a breath of fresh air after testing out a Civic Hybrid (still a nice car but not enough power).
While looking for the ultimate fuel efficient car, I took the Civic hybrid for a test drive. The Prius was not on my list as it did not have a manual transmission. The instrument cluster of the Civic is very cool, the constant MPG (quite common amongst more expensive cars) and interaction between battery charge and usage was a neat toy to look at. But at high speeds, the combination of those low rolling tires thinner than the ones on a Piaggio and rear drum brakes made it a horrible car to control at high speeds. So, the fun to drive factor was virtually no where to be found. After I drove the TDI, my mind was made up. Then, all I needed was to visit TDIClub.com on a regular basis.

Go for a TDI, you'll won't regret.

Good luck

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
jasonwiley said:
I am looking at the H&R Cup Kit. It lowers 2", and I've heard that the ride quality is pretty good. It's also a lot cheaper than coil overs (about 600 bucks vs. about 1,300 for coil overs). Haven't done it yet, but I will when the money comes. Love the Monte Carlo wheels - I wish they had been an option on the TDI (who thought of that? Sheesh..). I'm looking for a set of 17"ers myself.
I think the TDI wagon already had too much wheel gap with the stock wheels. Now, after the MCs are there, the wheel gap seems more obvious. I would like to lower the car, but having said that, I have no idea what kind of suspension upgrade I should be going for. Do you know why someone would pay around $700 premium for coilovers? I heard that with that setup, the ride height can be adjusted.

The TDI is the most neglected brand by VWoA, I think. Browsing the latest VW catalog, I found not a single item that relates to TDIs. I wonder why
?

A sport package for the TDI would be ideal. I inquired the dealership and they told me that it would take roughly $800 to replace the stock springs with VW OEM sport springs that would lower the car about an inch or so.

If you are looking for 17", go to vwvortex.com in the wheels and tires classifieds section, lots of (OEM) wheels there for sale, an excellent source; but then, you probably already knew it already

Recently I was carrying a rather decent load of stone from the local Home Depot and the naturally lowered car looked a lot better than what it is right now.

Your TDI looks stunning. I have hardly seen the Alaska Green; I think the pic inside your garage shows a more accurate color, right? NICE

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Mike,

I consulted several dealers and all of them said that VW did not make mudflaps with the VW logos on them anymore. vwvortex.com is a great source of getting stuff that others might not be interested in anymore. You can keep an eye on the classifieds section. I was lucky to find out someone selling a full set. The rear mudflaps are rather tricky as they are different for Jettas and Golfs, especially for the Jetta wagons. The seller had taken his ones off as soon as he got the wagon and got me the front ones (with black VW logo) from his Jetta that he just traded in. He actually went to the dealership and took them off. Both pairs look like brand new. I was very lucky. I know someone who has a set in Austin that came off his Golf. If you still want them, let me know, I'll send him an e-mail and find out if she still has them.

No cupholders between front seats here.

So many mods in mind, don't even know where to start

Nice looking Golf you have. Surprisingly, all the VWs at the dealership were Reflex Silver. Coincidence?

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
WiszMaster, curtloatb, VWBoraTDI90hp and RollAway,

Thanks for your comments.

The 17" with approx. 35(F)/45(R) pressure (max. recommended for Jetta wagons) sure makes the ride a lil' bumpy and noisy. While I would really like the car lowered a bit and suspension a little tighter, I think I should ride a car fitted with the suspension mods before I do mine.

Before I put the MCs, from near zero mileage, I was going from 41 mpg and reached 43 mpg. Right after the new wheels, I got 41 mpg. Then I went for a trip to Houston (and with spirited driving), I got 38.04 and 39.01 mpg. I was seriously reconsidering putting back the Avus II that I still had. I must admit I was enjoying the car little more with the new wheels. Then, the third tank, I got 51.70 mpg
, now what's going on here!! I did start using a bit of cruise control (for the very first time) but that should not make this difference. My best before this was 47.16 and that was way back in March, my 5th tank. So, I am a bit confused.

Now, one thing we never take into consideration. While I understand that 195/60R15 and 225/45R17 are roughly the same, there is bound to be a 1~2 % of difference, and that will definitely translate to a different MPG as what we see on the odo and what we use to calculate (from the gas station) depends on what kind of MPG we get, may it be around 1~2% of difference, if not more. Any comments?

jasonwiley

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS, Alaska Green
Your TDI looks stunning. I have hardly seen the Alaska Green; I think the pic inside your garage shows a more accurate color, right? NICE
Here’s another pic of my TDI. This one shows the color the best, I think. I did a 2” drop in Photoshop just to see what it will look like, and I think it’s beautiful.

http://wileytradegroup.com/pblog_folder/resources/jettadrop.jpg

On a side note - I already broke my windshield
Seems like it wasn't much of an impact, just a tiny rock that hit near the edge, and instantly made a 4" crack. anyone else have brittle screens?

DougB

TDI
2003 TDI GL Alaska Green/Beige
What are you doing with the stock wheels? Are they for sale?

Doug

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
lilredjetdiwagon said:
A sport package for the TDI would be ideal. I inquired the dealership and they told me that it would take roughly $800 to replace the stock springs with VW OEM sport springs that would lower the car about an inch or so.
The Eibach springs n the Driver's Gear catalog aren't that expensive. I got them through my dealership for about $650 CDN installed (about $480 US) and that included a 4-wheel alignment. Makes a huge difference in appearance but I would suggest replacing the stock shocks while you're at it because they just won't cut it. It seems that you need shocks specifically designed for a lowered vehicle as they are in a semi-compressed state and this can prematurely wear them out. I found that after driving my car with the Eibachs and stock shocks. So then I installed a set of Bilstein TC's sold by Danix in the classified section. 100% improvement!

I would suggest looking into a full suspension kit and doing it all at the same time.

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
jasonwiley said:
Here’s another pic of my TDI. This one shows the color the best, I think. I did a 2” drop in Photoshop just to see what it will look like, and I think it’s beautiful.

http://wileytradegroup.com/pblog_folder/resources/jettadrop.jpg

On a side note - I already broke my windshield
Seems like it wasn't much of an impact, just a tiny rock that hit near the edge, and instantly made a 4" crack. anyone else have brittle screens?
JW,

Thanks for the picture. The drop looks good.

Funny that you mention windshield damage. My Honda with ten times mileage has no problem, yet my Jetta too has a rock chip. I guess the supplier who makes the windshields for VW is not that good

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
DougB said:
What are you doing with the stock wheels? Are they for sale?

Doug
I have the stock wheels all cleaned up sitting in my guarage. They are totally scratch/curbage free with 5k on them. I have not put them for sale as I will get such low ball offers, it will totally put me off.

If you are interested, send me a private message or something.

BTW, how did you end up getting your Delvac 1. I remember you were asking for a can or two.

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up living within miles

Let me know.

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Ed, thanks for your suggestion

Let me see if I can find a buddy who has some of the set ups mentioned. Already, 17" with 35F/45R PSI has made the car pretty tight. I would like a bit lowered look/stiffer set up but really don't want a bumpier ride

Thanks again.

Dana D.

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, white
<font color="brown"> Windscreen? I'll be putting my 5th one in soon. A freak'n bug hits it and they crack all over the place. <font color="brown"> </font>

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Dana D. said:
<font color="brown"> Windscreen? I'll be putting my 5th one in soon. A freak'n bug hits it and they crack all over the place. <font color="brown"> </font>
5th.

You need one of those mesh grills (like on armored vehicles) permanently installed in front of your windshield

Got any pics of your TDI? Sounds interesting with all the mods

PlatinumGLS

Veteran Member
You mentioned that you'd like to see your car lowered. Well I was bored and decided to help you out. Just remember I'm still new at this Photoshop stuff.

Here is the original:

And here is my Photoshop...lowered just enough...

Hope you like it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
I love it. Thanks a lot /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I was wondering until I do make the suspension upgrage (no mod money /images/graemlins/frown.gif), I'd just keep on carrying the 25 pieces of stone that I recently bought from Home Depot, it looked quite similar (at least the rear portion) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You actually did a great job with PS. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally!!!! Finally got a brand new set of Long Beach wheels. This gentleman just bought a Golf GTI or 1.8T or something (never can figure out the deal with the Golf's), anyway, he wanted MCs on his black car and I was soooooooo much looking for a set of LBs. With like 500 miles on his set, they were like brand new, and mine with 8k miles or so, did not have any curbages what so ever. Was missing a couple of those silly cosmetic nuts.

Really like the new looks and a bump for the new pic addition. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, everyone /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlatinumGLS

Veteran Member
I missed your new long beach wheels post so thought I'd chime in. They look great! Glad you like them because it would really be a toss up for me between the LB's and Monte's...they both are awesome!

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
I missed your new long beach wheels post so thought I'd chime in. They look great! Glad you like them because it would really be a toss up for me between the LB's and Monte's...they both are awesome!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Dude /images/graemlins/cool.gif I am so busy with everything that is going on, yet I try to find time and poke my nose in a few posts here and there /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can you believe it has not been even a year, yet I am reaching 20k miles /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

You car looks pretty sharp too, if I might add /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Happy Motoring /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Considering replacing the wheels with R32 (18"s) wheels, your opinion would be highly appreciated, Thanks /images/graemlins/cool.gif

PlatinumGLS

Veteran Member
Check your email...I sent over a Photoshop of what you car would look like lowered with R32 wheels...feel free to post here after you have had a look /images/graemlins/wink.gif