www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 8th, 2004, 12:56   #31
bjmarler
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/45/41
Default Starting post for Newbie\'s

Very helpful list. Thank you.
bjmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 19:24   #32
tdisky
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the great info - I just got my TDI yesterday, and now can't figure out why I drove a gasser all these years. Hope to see many of you at the TDI Fest in MA this September!
tdisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:01   #33
Buried

okay, here's a dumb question: What are Glow Plugs? Same as Sprk Plugs in a gasoline engine?
Buried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:21   #34
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

They don't spark. They glow.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:15   #35
supton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/46/33

Quote:
okay, here's a dumb question: What are Glow Plugs? Same as Sprk Plugs in a gasoline engine?
You should do some study on it, but here's the short answer: the diesel engine is compression ignited, instead of spark ignited like a gas motor. During the compression stroke, the air in the cylinder rises considerably in temperature (basic physics), and in a diesel this is used to ignite the fuel that is injected in.

However, an engine that is cold may not generate enough heat during low speed cranking to ignite the fuel well. And the engine may not run at all, or run very poorly, until the cylinder warms up some. So, a simple heater is inserted to generate heat--the glow plug.

If I'm not mistaken (never have seen one before), it probably glows when doing its job. I suspect, however, that it does not sit in the path of the injection spray, as it probably errode away too quickly--thus, it simply radiates heat into the chamber, and hopefully (usually) it heats the cylinder quite well.

The glow plug only does work prior to starting--it is turned off when its either warm enough (ambient air temp) or when the vehicle is running. Otherwise, it would burn out, much like a lightbulb.
supton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 13:59   #36
tdibigd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44/41/37

Quote:
The glow plug only does work prior to starting--it is turned off when its either warm enough (ambient air temp) or when the vehicle is running. Otherwise, it would burn out, much like a lightbulb.
Actually on our TDIs the glow plugs can stay energized in cold weather until 1) the engine warms up enough and/or 2)a certain RPM is reached (I believe around 2500 or so). This apparently smooths the rough running of the cold engine a bit, and gets things warmed up a little more quickly.

In cold weather you can hear the glow plug relay under the dash clicking on and off as you pass through the RPM threshold.
tdibigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:37   #37
TDI Passatt Cowboy

I need removal & repair info for the ignition switch/ignition switch housing on my 96 Passatt TDI. Whenever the interior of the car gets hot, the ignition will not make contact, The cooler it is inside the car or if I ice the ignition switch housing, the car starts fine.
TDI Passatt Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:33   #38
TDIguest

I currently do not own a TDI, but am looking at a 2000 Jetta TDI with 80k. Any tips or pointers I should look at on this vehicle before purchasing. Also, what kind of repairs should I be looking at with 80k miles?

Thanksing you in advance for your help.

Rick
TDIguest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:03   #39
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
Also, what kind of repairs should I be looking at with 80k miles?

As always, it's a function of what maintenance has and has not been completed. At 80k miles, that list could be extensive.

Scrutinize those service logs...that will provide great insight as to what you will be up against!

No records? Move on unless you are buying a CPO from the stealer.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2004, 19:56   #40
mdanderson

My wife and I have just purchased a 2000 VW TDI Beetle. We are searching for a bra for the bug and I saw on one web site that the turbo should not have a bra. Is there anything to this statement?
Thanks, Marc
mdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 22:34   #41
tsingtao
Veteran Member

Just got my 2004 Jetta TDI. I use my car for work(we get mileage), used to drive a 96 Saturn. Told my boss today that I filled up a week ago and still have a half tank with my Jetta, used to fill up 2x with my Saturn. His jaw dropped.
tsingtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 01:34   #42
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
I use my car for work(we get mileage), used to drive a 96 Saturn. Told my boss today that I filled up a week ago and still have a half tank with my Jetta, used to fill up 2x with my Saturn. His jaw dropped.
I fill up twice a week. Used to fill up every day, sometimes in the morning and again in late afternoon! That really sucked! Yeah, I get mileage. Big time.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:49   #43
options2

Fuel Economy: Too new

First off I just wanted to say hello to everyone. Yes, I am a newbie. No, I have never owned a diesel before. But I must say the first 24 hours have been nothing short of great, and it really feels better in everyway than the already great Japanese car I traded for it. I have read carefully through quite a few of the FAQ sections, but I will admit I have not read it all yet (There is a lot covered in here). I do have a few questions already, and would appreciate any help.

1. I did read the FAQ section on cold starts, and it did mention that is was not uncommon after a cold night for the glow plug light to stay on for up to 10 seconds. Well I know that in the St Louis area it is not as cool as Canada, but it was in the low 40s F last night. When I went to start it, the glow plug light barely stayed on for two seconds. Is this normal? I was in the military for four years and drove HMMWVs quite often, and even on warm days it took 7-10 seconds for the glow plugs to warm up. Any in put would be great on this. Thanks

2. I did see quite a few posts about the use of specific oil for this engine. I went on further to read that the dealerships might not even use the right oil. Unless you watch them how do you know that you are getting what your TDI needs? Where can you take it if you cannot trust the dealer? Is anyone here from the St Louis, MO area? Do you know of any good VW mechanics in the area?

3. If anyone is from the St Louis area, where are the best places to get diesel? Are some Gas Stations diesel better that others?
options2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 03:57   #44
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

Hello and welcome to the forums .

I'm kinda new too, but here's some starters for you:

1. The cold-start behavior is one of the great things about Tdi's. My old Peugeot TD took 30 seconds of glow plug even in the summer. The Tdi uses a number of tricks like pilot injection (kind of analagous to a pilot light on a gas stove), a cold-start valve, and reduced compression at start-up to get things lit up fast and easy. Your glow plugs wont even come on until (I think) five or six degrees celcius below freezing. I believe the one to two seconds you noticed is just a glow-plug self test. It does that on 100 degree days too.

You don't say w3hat year Tdi you have. Is it a PD engine (2004 or 2005) or is it 1999-2003 model? The older ones run best on fully synthetic oil. Go to your parts store and ask for 5W-40 truck and SUV oil. It is repackaged Mobil 1 Delvac oil certified for compression (diesel) engines standard: CI-4 and change your oil yourself. It is easy and worth the peace of mind.

If you have a PD engine, you need to get oil which meets VW 505.01 specs. That's kinda hard right now, you'd have to search around the forums. I think there are at least 3 threads discussing it. I don't have PD, so I don't follow them.

I'm sure others will pitch in to welcome you and answer the other issues.

You're going to love your Tdi. I love mine!
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 07:34   #45
cram51
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.0/41.4/34.0

Hey! I'm another fellow TDIer in the St. Louis region also (on the East side). I'm in the St. Louis VW club - you should join! Here is the link to their homepage http://www.stlvw.org/ As for oil and what meets the specs.....you should only use VW 505.01 spec oil (if you have a 2004 or 2005 TDI)....it is available at this site....at a decent price too if you buy it in the big jug http://www.impexfap.com/ You can also get your fuel filter and oil filter there......along with a lot of other things.

As for a good dealership to do your stuff, I've heard that Mid-America Motors in Hazelwood has a 40 year (of experience) tech working for them. I've also been told that the tech at O'Fallon, IL dealership has 30 years experience. I, myself, will only go to them with warranty repairs though. I plan on doing the oil changes and draining of the water separator on my own. I'm fast approaching my first 5000 mile oil change, so if you want to join me, let me know. We can learn a little about this machine together. I do the oil changes and whatnot (air filter, etc) on our Passat and it's a piece of cake. I'll be talking to ya and welcome to the economy and performance of TDI's!!
cram51 is offline   Reply With Quote