www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 25th, 2018, 14:12   #4141
Gippeto

Hello from Alberta, Canada.

Completely new to the entire TDI "thing", bought an '03 Jetta sedan yesterday and have been doing a bit of research toward solving what I had perceived as some "minor" issues.
Perhaps less minor than first blush would indicate...
I have a decent OBDII scan tool, but that is less than adequate for the VW should I need to do a timing belt and adjust the injection timing. Found out about the VCSD tools from Ross-Tech, but not sure what I need to cover the bases.
Wish to be able to perform most basic maintenance on the car.
One of the "minor" issues is a lack of keys. I have one key, but no fob. Found "fixmyvw.com"...okay, I can get keys cut. Found a video on youtube showing how to program the fob with only one key (pop the door lock out), so no problem there.
But what do I need to deal with the RFID chip in the key? Will the VCSD tool allow one to deal with that or is it a different tool...Vag Tacho is what I found.
If I'm going to drop $$$ at the dealer to get the job done, would prefer to put those funds toward a tool and DIY...capability is KING.
Car came with a service manual, but no owners manual...is there anything in the owners manual that isn't in the service manual...enough to make it worth getting?

Thanks,
Al
Gippeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 18:45   #4142
elcid86
Veteran Member

I think I introduced myself a few years back when we bought a ‘12 Golf TDI for my son. We ended up selling it back to VW (he’s still upset with me about that—I am a bit too).

Just picked up a ‘15 Golf TDI SEL for the wife. Sold her ‘08 TSX. (She’s still a bit upset too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 31st, 2018, 03:01   #4143
GEFP

Ok so I'm supposed to introduce myself here. I work as a mechanic/handyman in my local community.

I've been a long time VW fan. My first car was a 1972 Beetle which I really enjoyed. Fast forward a number of years and my wife and I are the owners of a used 2002 TDI Jetta. We bought that car in about 2006 till it was totalled by heavily kissing a deer. We bought a new 2011 TDI Jetta and drove it for three years and traded it off on a 2014 TDI. Again a Jetta.

One of my neighbours decided not to pay a bill so I put a lien on his land. This last fall he sold his land and I got a cheque. Over $4000! So what to do with this money?

I've been watching the Alberta Kijiji adds for about 6 month's prior to getting the cheque. I've noticed that B4 TDI Jettas (1999.5 - 2003) had increased in value by about $1500 during that time. So I bought 2-2001's. Both white and built within 5 months of each other. Now how to differentiate between the two. Last 3 digits of the VIN. 636 and 140. 636 is right now my $500 daily driver. It needed a lot of small things repaired and a few big ones. With the VCDS that I purchased I've found out why it's so gutless. I just need to go through the low power thread and diagnose if I need an ecm or the adjuster in the injection pump or it just has wiring problems. At some point it'll also need a timing belt and a clutch.

140 is an automatic that is actually in very nice shape. I could drive it home but had to really let off on the throttle when it shifts into 4th. It is going to get the transmission out of the original 2002 that I bought back from the insurance company with the intention of using it for parts. So I'm now in the process of gathering up all the new parts I need before I start the process.

I also modified a trailer frame that I had so I can put these cars on the trailer for when I'm working on them. That way I can work under them easily and still move them in and out of my shop if I need the room for other projects.
GEFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 12:28   #4144
thumpper

TDI(s): 2005

Complete noob here so thought I would introduce myself for I will probably start searching through the forum for assistance and issues and improvements on a newly acquired TDI.

Just purchased a 2005 TDI Beetle 5spd which will be the first VW I purchased along with a diesel too.

Come from a background with mustangs and also tacomas and have always looked at the TDI's. Kick myself in the butt for not buying a left over 2015 sportwagon last march when they were allowed to sell the new old stock ones. Settling on the beetle for it is in great condition and is a manual too even though was looking and wanting 4 doors.

TB/H20 Pump was recently replaced along with the oil too. Will be performing own maintenance and already found the oil page. Already have been searching for a skid plate for it to protect the pan. Time to start searching and reading up on these. (EGR is still on it along with the cats)
thumpper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 18:38   #4145
Nugget3816

Default Newbie

Okay gentleman here's the question I've got a 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle 1.9 TDI and I don't know if it's a vacuum issue or what it is but I've replaced the actuator and if I disconnect the vacuum line to the actuator the car has no problem revving but when I hook the actuator up I can go to about 3800 RPMs and that's where it'll stop. Now if I leave the actuator disconnected and drive it down the road 1st gear 2nd gear no problem as soon as it hits third it falls on its face if I shut the car off break the vacuum start it back up no problem until I hit 3rd gear and then it falls on its face again can somebody give me an idea what to look for.
Nugget3816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 01:41   #4146
Dutchie

TDI(s): A4 B5 1.8t

Good day fellas. Im bas, aka dutchie, im 25 yo and live in Amsterdam. I curently drive a Audi A4 B5 Quattro Avant 1.8t gas. Because i drive quite a lot these days and i van fill up the tank at work im considering slapping a 1.9tdi in it. Well, i Will post may question in the apropriate sub section.

Cheers, dutchie
Dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 09:41   #4147
Osmo79

Osmo, here. Just checking in. Have been lurking here for a while now as I prep an 01 ALH for an MTDI conversion to replace the stock 1.6 NA in my 82 Vanagon. I have the engine stripped for cleaning and new gaskets etc. I'm waiting on a few parts to complete the engine assembly, but the basic specs are 70k mile ALH with PD130 intake, AAZ ex. manifold and GT2052 turbo, 300 TDI Land Rover injection pump, Saab intercooler.
Just picked up a new daily driver 05.5 Jetta TDI so I can keep the miles off my Titan XD. This is my fourth VW, and makes three diesels in my fleet now!
Kim
My two VW's

Osmo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 13:57   #4148
UhOh
Veteran Member

Osmo, look out for AndyBees, he's done a conversion as well (wealth of knowledge).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 15:06   #4149
theodore

Default My oh my TDI !!!

SO i was fixing these beaters with a heater that my kids would bring home(cheap cars for college students) rabbits with diesels). Then son tells me thanks dad but i met this girl and she has a car..., So starting to soup-up these little engines with turbos and other performance mods, then found a 1.9 Passat that was broke and spent a grand on fixng that car and WOw what a difference, and then i get this one with Stage 3 (rocket chip, oversized nozzles k04) and well i have a new hobby now, wanting to swap one of my 1z's into a 1981 Caddy. I have bought two parts donors and my daily driver is the B4V Passat.
Oh and found history of my car here, aint the internet cool???
WVWHG83A3TE072254
questions,
I heard the ECU must be matched to the speedometer???
These B4's only count to 300K on speedo? then start at zero?

I like German cars German Shepherds and German beer! but i'm Scot whas up wit dat?
Theo 509 423 3257 text only please
theodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 01:18   #4150
Anthony1019

TDI(s): golf gt
Default first deisel 07 gt 125kw bmn

hi there car is doing regen cycles not far apart and becoming shorter span ,. dpf light is not coming on with a dpf instructional in mfd . take for a highway run and it clears .. was looking at putting a new dpf in and starting fresh so i know where i am at. can anyone give me a link to a how to replace dpf diy thanks all
Anthony1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 14:28   #4151
mighelle

TDI(s): vw t3 syncro

hi at all, i m michele from italy, i m sick from my fxxxing van
i spent to much time and money to his, it s love and hate in the same time

mighelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 04:45   #4152
swoods

Default Newbie

Hi all! Have been lurking occasionally on the forum for years but figured I should finally introduce myself.
Proud owner of a 2005 TDI Jetta; purchased used (one prior owner) in 2011 with mileage sitting at about 103,764 miles. Just passed the 233,000 mark.
Love my car but getting constant encouragement to ditch it since it's "not reliable". No major repair (*knock on wood*), just regular maintenance.
Anyone else have to deal with constant suggestions to get rid of your high mileage cars!?
Hoping to keep the car going for another few years at least! Would love to hit the 300,000 mile mark!
swoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 11:15   #4153
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoods View Post
Hi all! Have been lurking occasionally on the forum for years but figured I should finally introduce myself.
Proud owner of a 2005 TDI Jetta; purchased used (one prior owner) in 2011 with mileage sitting at about 103,764 miles. Just passed the 233,000 mark.
Love my car but getting constant encouragement to ditch it since it's "not reliable". No major repair (*knock on wood*), just regular maintenance.
Anyone else have to deal with constant suggestions to get rid of your high mileage cars!?
Hoping to keep the car going for another few years at least! Would love to hit the 300,000 mile mark!
That is not high mileage for a 13-year-old TDI -- just average. And at about 20k miles a year it will probably take 15 years or more to reach the high-mileage category.
'03 Golf with 715k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 11:41   #4154
Inhabor

Default Newbie

Hi guys I'm inhabor and I'm a newbie. Doing a tbi conversion and looking for advise. Anyone with a vw bus tdi conversion here? Any tbi gurus in Florida?
Thanks
Inhabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 20:19   #4155
Jozzie

Hey all, new the forum not to Audi's though.
I'm the owner of a local Audi forum in Vancouver BC Canada.
Picked up a 2014 Audi Q5 TDI previous had a Audi B6 A4 1.8T and a B5 A4 1.8t.

Super stoked on my new to me Audi TDI. Still can't get over the power this thing has.
Jozzie is offline   Reply With Quote