www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old April 6th, 2020, 16:11   #1
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI
Default Entire TDI family named "Worst Foreign Car Engine Of All Time"

Probably predictable reactions, but agree/disagree? Comment below.
https://www.thethings.com/ranking-th...and-the-worst/ (scroll to bottom of the article if tl;dr)
Quote:
Taking the top spot of worst engine is the VW diesel engines. Technically there is not much wrong with them mechanically but on the other hand they represent the worst aspect in manufacturing: cutting corners and cost. That and also lying to the whole world and putting peoples health at risk.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2020, 17:36   #2
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Still whining about dieselgate. Meh - can't move on.

This writer has a hard on for unfathomably expensive high end gas engines, even the ones where the manufacturers lied (virtually all of them depending on your definitions). For example, he's having a wet dream over Honda's S2000 engine. Yeah, for a track maybe, but this is a street car, where a 500rpm wide power band that doesn't start until over 8k rpms is more useless on the street than an elephant with diarrhea.

So, it is unsurprising that VW is castigated for putting peoples health at risk, while all those other 99+% of gasser engines produce more and deadlier soot particles that are skipped because you can't see them as easily. Seriously, check a real article where they'll mention that gasser PMs are worse because they're smaller, penetrate deeper into lungs, and can't be rejected for that very reason.

So: prejudiced and uninformed author. Par, unfortunately.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2020, 13:47   #3
rhinorear

TDI(s): 2014 JSW

Where's he at? Let me at em.....
rhinorear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2020, 13:48   #4
rhinorear

TDI(s): 2014 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinorear View Post
Where's he at? Let me at em.....

Meant to be all caps
rhinorear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2020, 18:36   #5
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
So, it is unsurprising that VW is castigated for putting peoples health at risk, while all those other 99+% of gasser engines produce more and deadlier soot particles that are skipped because you can't see them as easily.
lol
test drive an ecoboost ford pickup some time, or any direct injected GM
WOT they smoke worse than any VW diesel, even a stock 1.6 from 1985
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2020, 19:08   #6
PD Rig
Veteran Member

Lol. Doubtful that article will get much love here. Hardly a basis for “the worst engine of all time.”.

PH said it very well above2...
The author is severely misinformed.
PD Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2020, 20:14   #7
300k_logician

Fuel Economy: 45.6 (6 month average)
Default Nonsense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article in Question View Post
7 Best: Ferrari F136 F V8: The world record holder for NA engines, 135hp per liter, arguably the greatest NA V8 ever made and judging by the current emission trend this will most likely be the last of the high revving NA V8 that Ferrari will produce. We can find solace in the fact that its replacement turbo V8 is actually pretty good.
Wait, what was that about people's health?

Also, the EPA'98 (ALH) and EPA'04 (PD) engines were compliant. Dieselgate didn't apply to them, so maybe the author should've been more specific. Generally I'm not a fan (in theory) of piezoelectric HPCR injectors due to their decreased reliability when compared to the electromagnetic solenoid types found in heavy duty engines. But then again, the author of the article didn't specify.

Most people I've spoken to about the rotary engine love it, so we're probably not the only group shaking our heads at this article
Old April 7th, 2020, 20:23   #8
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300k_logician View Post
Also, the EPA'98 (ALH) and EPA'04 (PD) engines were compliant.
as were the 1z, ahu, and possibly the aaz, though I'm uncertain on if those were canada only
Old April 8th, 2020, 14:31   #9
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta

One of the worst articles i've ever read... He's basically saying I like this engine because, with no form of actual engineering reason
2.2TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2020, 16:41   #10
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I'm not clicking on that link. I've owned a lot of cars, and only one was American. There are some really bad engines out there, including VW's aircooled engines when in a Bus. Not enough airflow, very short life.

I'd argue that the ALH is the best 4 cylinder engine made, perhaps rivaled by Toyota's 2.4L Pickup (and Previa) engine. You want a bad 4 cylinder: GM Ecotec, especially the early ones. And the worst of all time? the Vega 2.3L engine.
Old April 8th, 2020, 17:10   #11
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Cool

Not clicking on that link either.

OMG!! (LOL) I wish I had known that the entire TDI family was named "Worst Car Engine of All Time" before I put only 361k trouble free miles on an 02 Golf TDI (currently in the hands of its 3rd owner at only 428k miles), 170k miles on an 05 PD JWagen TDI, and 102k trouble free miles on a 2010 JSW TDI. All of my TDIs had performance mods which stressed everything harder because I always drove them like I stole them.

I might have owned several gassers instead of TDIs if I had known that ahead of time. (LOL)
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2020, 17:47   #12
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 mpg average

I'd argue that the ALH is the best 4 cylinder engine made, perhaps rivaled by Toyota's 2.4L Pickup (and Previa) engine. You want a bad 4 cylinder: GM Ecotec, especially the early ones. And the worst of all time? the Vega 2.3L engine.[/QUOTE]

yep! good engines. ive always wanted a older Toyota truck.
GlowBugTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2020, 18:44   #13
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Are the ecotecs really that bad? A friend of mine has a Saturn Sky with the 2.0l turbo ecotec. With the tune he loaded it makes around 300 hp. I was impressed when I drove it. It does have quite low mileage, hope it holds up for him.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2020, 18:47   #14
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

The early ones vibrated themselves into pieces. And had all kinds of head issues. Like so many things from GM, they got it right, eventually.
Old April 8th, 2020, 19:52   #15
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Are the ecotecs really that bad? A friend of mine has a Saturn Sky with the 2.0l turbo ecotec. With the tune he loaded it makes around 300 hp. I was impressed when I drove it. It does have quite low mileage, hope it holds up for him.
if it takes a pf457g it is an okay motor with some timing chain issues if neglected and CCV icing issues if run in the MN climate
anything else and it's junk, especially the newer ones with the 2257s, they have a very VW-inspired CCV system (you know how every gas VW motor has had or will have massive vacuum leaks?), and a cassette coil that is very tricky to remove without breaking