Polar FIS pf04 pros & cons

reason you purchased a Polar Fis unit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

SO... Like many here on the forum, I felt the need to watch some of the DPF TDI information much closer. For me my search narrowed it down to the Polar FIS PF04. I hope to build a broad base of pros and cons along with discussion and input of issues we encounter(ed) that may help the next guy to use this unit best. This is not to flame or love on this upgrade, although Ill say upfront I love it. Well now that I've broken the 1st rule, post you're experience's.

https://www.autopolar.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
https://kermatdi.com/i-852-polar-fis-advanced-dashboard-display.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7SBIQSdptY

When the unit comes you download the newest update, choose and set the steering wheel multi function switch choices using the provieded cable.

Installl is straight forward, just as a few youtube video's show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpWMsgGVnds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI0IKPY39hU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKgshFcE2g

Next you switch the ignition to run (engine on or off) and go thru the prompts to create your choice of parameters to watch. As uncertain as I was going into it, I soon felt comfortable tweaking it.

These are perameters my 2011 JSW has to choose from. The advaced menu was used to change the default metric measurements to s.a.e, psi etc.. Below are my fiindings so far. The question mark after a noted parameter refers to an unknown function or unknown reading. Ill add info. as aquired. Any input greatly appriciated! I will occasionally update as I gain experienced input and new data

-MPH. ... Duh
-Out *F. ... Underhood temp
-RPM. ... Duh
-Fuel Gal. ... Remaining (must manually input capacity @ fillup)
-Power HP. ... HP @ rpm?
-SIide G. ... G force
-Batt. V. ... Duh
-Oil. *F. ... Oil temp (mine aways reads *0?) newest upaate supposedly fixes this
-Intake *F. ... Duh
-Coolant *F. ... Duh
-Fuel *F. ... Duh
-EGT *F. ... Duh
-DPF in *F. ... Duh
-DPF out *F. ... Duh
-!Boost PSI. ... Requested boost
-Boost PSI. ... Acual boost?
-ATM PSI. ... ?
-!Fuel PSI. ... Duh
-Fuel PSI. ... Duh
-Gen. Load. ... ?
-M.A.F. ... Manifold Air Flow
-Pedal. ... Pedal position
-Torq Ft-Lb. ... Duh
-DSG Ft-Lb. ... DSG related HP??
-Inj. M/str. ... ?
-!st *BTDC. ... ?
-st *BTDC. ... ?
-!Dur. *KW. ... ?
-Dur. *KW. .... ?
-st. q. m/str. ... ?
-D.1 m/str. ... Injector condition & balance, nice tool
-D.2 m/str. .... "
-D.3 m/str. ... "
-D.4 m/str. ... "
-EGR m/str. ...on time ?
-Control % ... ?
-!Soot m gr. ... Cauculated soot level
-Soot m gr. ... Actual Soot level
-DPF PSI. ... Back pressure (condition?)
-Req Regen. ... 1.0 to 6.0 (regen time) and back to 1.0 (finished)
-DPF st. ... which means regeneration status, you will see the next values
FF01 Passive DPF regeneration (usual status)
FF02 Active DPF regeneration (higher exhaust temps, and temps prior to and after DPF)
FF10 NOx regeneration (only shows up for a few seconds at a time, several per active DPF regen)
FF20 SOx regeneration (immediately after an active DPF regeneration, miles since regeneration reset to 0, but high exhaust temps remain)
-DPF Gal. means the Oil Ash Volume in DPF which means you have 206 milli liters.
-DPF Mi. ... Miles since last regeneration

Tip:
Even when ambient outside air temp is 105* DPF is below 400* (with Karma tune)
* turn off a/c 100 yards before parking. You'll never need to sit and idle down temp.

THIS is the MOST useful screen IMO. Often switched to as default setting if not looking specifically at another perameter

Switched up to this pre shut down to check PDF temp (no oil temp unfortunately

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
PROS:

EZ/clean install

No viisible add on clutter, like gauge pods. O.E. like

Awsome needed upgrade

Even with poorly translated & writen instructions it doesnt seem to hard to hands on figure out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONS:

For $275 the support could be more useable/acessable. The "answers thru this weird ticket thing" is lacking. The site has a half cooked forum, which appears unusable?

The limited info on what the abreiviated parameters mean, and how to read them could use much clarity.

UPDATE: mpg (one of my favorite watches) is actually ez to access with the polar feature active. Just scroll over to it with left or right side button

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Love the polar fis on my passat, the fuel gallons does not seem accurate to me, i’ve set the size of the tank (18.5) but it doesn’t seem to get close even on a full tank (i fill until the pump shuts off plus 1/2 gallon). I’ll double check full numbers after my next fill up, i thinks it’s around 16-17.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Update
Setting up different pages of info. It is really ezier to use than expected. Partly because of the crappy online instructions and innacurate readings it claims.

For example, the regeneration status (req regen) . Polar site says 0000 no regen, 0001 regen, 0002 end regen. When acually it is a active regen when the number 7.0 is reached and regening until it counts back down. I. E. 1.0 - 2.0 - 3.0 - 4.0 - 5.0 - 6.0- - 7.0 regen 7654321 done.

UPDATE ON UPDATE
I found there are 2 regen status perameters views
* req regen - reads as described above
* DPF st. - reads ff00, ff01, ff02 (off, on, finished)
Not sure of advantage of either yet or just preference

Update:
DPF st. seems redundant. * suppose if your looking to log regen time its useful.

Last edited:

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
meanings:
ATM PSI?
Gen Load?
Inj. m/str?
st. BTDC ... real time timing?
Dur KW?
St. q. m/str?
D.1 m/str?
D.2 m/str?
D.3 m/str?
D.4 m/str?
EGR m/str
Control %
Req. regen?

Just a couple of guesses, but the following seem likely.

-- ATM PSI: atmospheric air pressure.

-- Gen. Load: likely the demand on the alternator/generator.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
-- ATM PSI: atmospheric air pressure.
-- Gen. Load: likely the demand on the alternator/generator.
Thanks Yes, confirmed.

More seat time, more questions & answers & notes

* what does "DPF Gal" represent? It reads 206, so how could it be ash fill? Yet there is no "ash %" option, just soot m gr (pre ash amount). Soot m gr is nice however to watch as regen approaches, and cleans up to 0.

* unlike Polar info states the "req regen" reads 1.0 thru 7.0 as DPF readies for regen, then reportedly will read backwards. So far Ive only seen 5.0 and now at 6.0. Ive only got 7k on a new DPF and "DPF mi." states 320 (miles since last regen).

* The DPF reads *600 to *700ish when engine @ operating temp on the freewaay?? Its not in regen, could this be a light regen of some sort? UPDATE; this is passive regen.

* oil temp. always reads *32. I would think it would read *0 if there is no temp. sending input?
note: after fiddling with advanced settings I now get a constant -76? UPDATE: Polar has suposidly corrected this with an update which I have yet to do.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
So on a 160 mile round trip/day trip to some foothill destinations I experianced my 1st Polar FIS read Regen. Temps around 1200 degrees, lasted about 10ish minutes, knocked the soot level down to 0.0, and was 330 miles since last regen.

Notes:
* Both !boost Psi & boost PSI read from 14.5 to 32ish under full accel. Obviously not right. The requested PSI (!boost PSI) and boost PSI (actual) readings stayed withing 0.5 psi of each other.
update: the advanced settings corrected it with another setting option

* Oil temp. *32 @ all times? No temp. sender?
update: the advanced settings changed it to -76 it with another setting option. Still playing with settings??

* regen not as long or hot as expected. Maybe a minor regen as aluded to as Ive seen mentioned?

* going to set the main screen to read
req. regen
soot %
DPF out
DPF mi.
That should give good side by side info.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
pictures and screen set up

There are up to 10 screens avalible Ill add as I learn. As you can see I am focused on understanding the DPF operation. This picture shows req regen @ 6.0 meaning it will go into regen when the other requirements are readied. This is the second regen Ive monitored and noted the soot m gr. @ 15.0 seems to be the go number. The DPF temp and EGT are low becouse as you can see the car is not running.

Edit 9/20
The "!soot" seems to be the deciding factor that determines start timing of "active regen", when the number hits 24 m/gr.

Not sure if req regen or DPF st. Is better to use yet. They both are telling me Im in regen. The DPF press Im not sure what to look for yet and DPF gal is still a mystery to me. Maybe to do with capacity or fill level??

Just thought this screen perameters work well together.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Programmed all 10 screens. Some around town driving and back. Here are idle pictures of data.
Have to figure out OIL *F setting (-76), calibrate fuel capacity and figure quite a few random readings.

Note:
noticed around town regens every 300 miles + -.
So far very short idle time easily brings EGT to 400* @ shut down.
Regens around 15.0 Soot m. gr. level, burns off in no time
What should fuel pressure be?
What is control %?

Last edited:

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Thanks for posting this thread; I'm getting ready to install mine. (BTW, did you disconnect your battery before installing? Did that throw anything off in your car? I don't have VAGCOM yet to reset anything if disconnecting the battery will cause any interruptions)

I, too, was very interested in monitoring DPF function. I am looking for a explanation of some of these parameters and how they can be used to monitor DPF function and overall health.

Thanks again!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for posting this thread; I'm getting ready to install mine. (BTW, did you disconnect your battery before installing? Did that throw anything off in your car? I don't have VAGCOM yet to reset anything if disconnecting the battery will cause any interruptions)

I, too, was very interested in monitoring DPF function. I am looking for a explanation of some of these parameters and how they can be used to monitor DPF function and overall health.

Thanks again!
Welcome to the thread, your input will be appreciated by all I'm sure. If you figure out any parameters feel free to post them.

I didn't disconnect the battery. I had 0 issues related to the install, its just a plug the unit in-between the Can bus module thing. The 1st step of downloading the update and vehicle info. was new to me but really no big deal. I did have a check engine light previous to the install. Codes were cleared when the issue was repaired (#1 glow plug).

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I did disconnect the battery on mine, it had a few lights on the dash afterward, but a short drive removed all of them.

On the DPF temperature, both of mine (passat and beetle) are at 600+ on the highway, my commute is 30 miles @ 70 mph (3 miles at 55 or less). Regen is 1100+. I am interested to see long term data on your gen 1, my beetle seems like true regens are 800 miles apart (can’t have a polar because of the mfi, so it has a scangaugeII so you kind of guess), but i also have soot on the tail pipes, no check engine light yet (7,000 miles since I noticed the soot).

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I did disconnect the battery on mine, it had a few lights on the dash afterward, but a short drive removed all of them.
On the DPF temperature, both of mine (passat and beetle) are at 600+ on the highway, my commute is 30 miles @ 70 mph (3 miles at 55 or less). Regen is 1100+. I am interested to see long term data on your gen 1, my beetle seems like true regens are 800 miles apart (can’t have a polar because of the mfi, so it has a scangaugeII so you kind of guess), but i also have soot on the tail pipes, no check engine light yet (7,000 miles since I noticed the soot).
I apologize I had a senior moment. Yes the battery was disconnected with a short drive light fix as you explained.

When I experianced the 1st regen it was 60 mph county roads. The same as you @ around *1100 but only 330 miles since last regen ( the " DPF mi." setting). The2nd and last noted regen was around town. I didn't catch the miles but was pre300. Reading up on regens there are 3 types. Active, passive and forced. Im hoping the 300 mile regens are a mini regen. I suppose the last around town regen was sooner as the soot level loaded faster it seemed? The DPF is only 7k miles old, I've always run Chevron and on a fresh dealership oil change with 507 rated oil.

If you have soot you have an issue, period. Are you CPO covered?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
My cpo ran out at 60k (august 17, bought at 10k in oct ‘14). I have tdi emissions warranty until 2/4/24 or 120k. I’m at 90,600 miles.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
My cpo ran out at 60k (august 17, bought at 10k in oct ‘14). I have tdi emissions warranty until 2/4/24 or 120k. I’m at 90,600 miles.
Wouldn't that be emissions covered?

pipesta

TDI
'14 JSW TDi 6MT
Programmed all 10 screens. Some around town driving and back. Here are idle pictures of data.
Have to figure out OIL *F setting (-76), calibrate fuel capacity and figure quite a few random readings.

Note:
noticed around town regens every 300 miles + -.
So far very short idle time easily brings EGT to 400* @ shut down.
Regens around 15.0 Soot m. gr. level, burns off in no time
What should fuel pressure be?
What is control %

You're only getting 300 miles on regens? That seems a bit low. I went into regen tonight and was able to snap some pics. I've been getting 450-470 miles on regens. Sometimes my req regen will only be at a 4 or 5 and will kick on around 460 miles. The regen counter on the polar will then jump to 7 and slowly count down back to 1. I was able to snap some pics today of when the regen started and ended. Took about 9 miles of driving to get back down to 1.

Only con I see is no oil temp, though these cars don't have oil temp sensors.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
You're only getting 300 miles on regens? That seems a bit low. I went into regen tonight and was able to snap some pics. I've been getting 450-470 miles on regens. Sometimes my req regen will only be at a 4 or 5 and will kick on around 460 miles. The regen counter on the polar will then jump to 7 and slowly count down back to 1. I was able to snap some pics today of when the regen started and ended. Took about 9 miles of driving to get back down to 1.

Only con I see is no oil temp, though these cars don't have oil temp sensors.L]
These are just the 1st 2 regens since install. I highly suspect that mostly city driving is the reason for lower miles between regens.(?) What Ive learned thru response with Polar tech is the DPF mi. Reads pf01 for passive regen state and pf02 for active regen status. I am presently watching. Req regen with DPF st., soot% & DPF mi. to try to fully understand their interaction with each other. (Order slighly different since pictures)

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
newest settings, data & inputs

So after playing around with the different inputs to watch together in blocks of 4, these seem to work good for me. Starting with my main screen.

EGT - I watch for sub *400 temps to shut down
Soot m. gr. - watch level build up & corilation to driving conditions/regen status
DPF temp - how hot & corilation to passsive and active regen.
DPF st. - working with all above

Regen Up to 6.0 @ only 155 miles since last regen... Ive noticed DPF is in constant passive regen (pf01) and cant keep up with soot m gr. buildup in around town conditions.

Ive been communicating with polar about oil temp @ a constant *32, tried 3 available advanced settings with no luck. I will update to newest version as soon as possible

I havent calibrated the fuel capacity yet.

Got no idea on the next 2 screens yet.

Anyone know the fuel pressure PSI working range? It drops considerably @ higher speeds

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Notes:
* Both !boost Psi & boost PSI read from 14.5 to 32ish under full accel. Obviously not right. The requested PSI (!boost PSI) and boost PSI (actual) readings stayed withing 0.5 psi of each other.
update: the advanced settings corrected it with another setting option
On this reading, the module is reading what the ECU is reporting which is manifold pressure including atmospheric pressure. So if you are at sea level (14.7 psi), you would just have to subtract that.

Although, I would LOVE to know what advanced settings you changed to correct it. Because no matter what I do, it always reads the higher setting.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
On this reading, the module is reading what the ECU is reporting which is manifold pressure including atmospheric pressure. So if you are at sea level (14.7 psi), you would just have to subtract that.

Although, I would LOVE to know what advanced settings you changed to correct it. Because no matter what I do, it always reads the higher setting.
Ill look into which setting. I was getting the reasonable spread (I think 15 psi spread-ish), just starting around 15psi to 30psi. I believe it was on the x2 setting before the change. If memory serves me, there is also an actual and shared input adjusted type setting.

Which version do you have downloaded? I am several behind. It was suggested that the update will resolve my oil temp. issue. Well see. Below is my version I presently am on. v02.9b0. According to Polar they are on v02.9b9?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Good info for us JSW Polar users

Ismael Muñiz posted 03/23/2020 06:44:29 PM
Hi.

Thanks for information. About your questions.

- You can switch off ignition and update your Polar FIS without disconnect the battery, no problem.
- About Oil reading allways showing 32º, can you please go to Polar FIS configuration menu, and the go to SCREEN - VISUALIZATION - ADVANCED - OIL OPTIONS and choose DIAGNOSTICS if not choosen? Then check if now it reads correctly.
- About DPF St. which means regeneration status, you will see the next values
FF01 Passive DPF regeneration (usual status)
FF02 Active DPF regeneration (higher exhaust temps, and temps prior to and after DPF)
FF10 NOx regeneration (only shows up for a few seconds at a time, several per active DPF regen)
FF20 SOx regeneration (immediately after an active DPF regeneration, miles since regeneration reset to 0, but high exhaust temps remain)
- DPF Gal. means the Oil Ash Volume in DPF which means you have 206 milli liters.

Best regards.

Pedro Palacio posted 04/14/2020 06:22:59 PM
Hello Miller,

We uploaded a new firmware with more improvements.
Please, feel free to test v030 and tell me if all your issues has been solved, in case negative, report here and we will continue working.

Regards!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
thanks for sharing valuable info. I will need to update mine.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for sharing valuable info. I will need to update mine.
I hope to also this week end.

Im slow to get this perfected but really like using it. It would be great to see other users settings/readings and why you choose the particular order.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you ever figure out what combination of settings you have to show boost at the proper levels?
Yes, I dont remember offhand the exacts but the settings where changed in the advanced settings to PSI and I changed from the original setting that added atmosheric pressure to the boost and swiitched over to acual boost only.

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Has anyone gotten oil temp to work? Mine just reads -76 or 32 depending on the advance setting I choose. I assume there's just no temp sensor for an actual reading.

Went on a ~5 hour road trip today and managed to figure out a few settings on the way. I, too, got the boost to read correctly finally.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone gotten oil temp to work? Mine just reads -76 or 32 depending on the advance setting I choose. I assume there's just no temp sensor for an actual reading.

Went on a ~5 hour road trip today and managed to figure out a few settings on the way. I, too, got the boost to read correctly finally.
Polar wrote an update. I have yet to install but hope to soon. It sure would be nice to see oil temp. on shut down. Especially pretune. I try to idle until EGTs are below *400. It usually only takes a few seconds. I think Ill be installing a furbo timer. Here is Polar info.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 9:23 AM, noreply@autopolar.net
<noreply@autopolar.net> wrote:
Dear m miller,
Hello Miller,

We uploaded a new firmware with more improvements.
Please, feel free to test v030 and tell me if all your issues has been solved, in case negative, report here and we will continue working.

Regards!

Your AutoPolar Ticket System Team,

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. NEVER answer to this email directly, please login to your account for a complete archive of all your support requests and responses, or for send another response.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Huge plus having the Polar input to compare stock tune with Kerma non delete tune.

I finally took er' out with new Kerma non delete tune for a 60 mile freeway stretch. The Polar showed I was JUST ready for another active regen with 150 miles since last one. The DPF is only 7k old and. The stock tune never passively keep soot level burnt off, even on 700* freeway runs. Here are a few things I noted:

First thing I noticed was it sounded different. Not bad, not good, just slightly different.

Started & idled just as good as it always has.

Slight power boost feel, havent put it to the giggle test yet but it always felt strong.

Normally a 50 mile freeway run leveled out @ around 45mpg ish... Today the lie-o-meter read 50.3 @ the returning offramp and "seemed" to be slowly adding mpg still. More trips needed though to see.

The soot load stayed @ 0.0 the whole freeway portion. It went up to 0.5 midtrip as I idled thru Wendys drivethru, but passively burnt soot off on return trip.

Joy meter hit a nice spot everytime the car idled by reading much lower EGT's. Probably 50*+. In the past I made it a practice to shut a/c off & idle to bring EGTs down below 400*. Normally would only take less than 30 seconds but the temperature would stay over 400* if the a/c was on! Now 375* ish with a/c, 315* with out

Dont forget to add your 2 cents to the poll @ the beggining of the thread

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone ever have a polar fis cause loss of communication/ can bus faults? (Not saying mine did, just trying to find a cause)