Fog light help needed

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
So, I got a fog light wiring kit from Ebay with fuse and relay and even though the terminal ends were not right, I was able to splice on the VW connectors from wires that I got from the JY.

So considering this diagram, I connected the wire to slot #8 on the switch harness, like this:

This corresponds to the NL pin on the actual switch shown here:

Then, I connected the lamp wires to the #2 slot on the headlamp plug (which corresponds to the pin for the black wire on the last picture):

The plug itself now looks like this and it corresponds with the pin that goes to the connector of the fog lamp.

With those wires in place, I connected the ground to a spot under the battery tray, and when I connect the power cable to the positive post on the battery, one of the fog lamps (left side) comes on. The other one (right side) comes on when activating the fog light mode. When the fog light mode is turned on, the first one (left side) turns off.

This is what the inside of each of the headlamp connectors look like (identical):

I am at a loss here and I cannot figure out what the heck is going on. I appreciate your help.

Thanks guys!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Are you running the headlight switch wire straight to the fog lamps? Or to a relay? You don't mention a relay, but it's a good idea to have it setup that way. Good pics by the way!

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Are you running the headlight switch wire straight to the fog lamps? Or to a relay? You don't mention a relay, but it's a good idea to have it setup that way. Good pics by the way!

Yes, there is a relay and a fuse. I did forget to mention that. Thanks about the pics.
There is nothing worse that having a post that has bad or out of focus pics haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well let's start with the simple stuff. If you turn the fog switch on, do you hear the relay click? That'll tell us which direction to go next.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Just run the wire from the switch to the lights, done. You do not need a relay, the factory does not use one.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How come on all the GLX's at the wrecking yard have a relay for the fogs then? And it's got a label on the thirteenfold.

So back to the lights, one light turns off and one turns on??

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
So back to the lights, one light turns off and one turns on??

Yes!! I can’t think of anything...other than possibly something inside the actual lamp that might be crossed or something. But the connector looks identical. [emoji848]

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How I wired mine, and hopefully yours is the same, is I daisy chained the fog lights together and ran it across the top front of the radiator support. So what I'd do is disconnect the one that's on when fog switch is in the "off" position, then tap it to the other fog light wire. Easy peasy. As for why the one is getting power, that you'll have to trace back.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The relay is to kick out the high beams when the fogs are on. Not necessary The power still comes directly from the switch. If you open a MK4 headlight switch, the contacts are huge. Its designed to carry lots of current.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
How I wired mine, and hopefully yours is the same, is I daisy chained the fog lights together and ran it across the top front of the radiator support. So what I'd do is disconnect the one that's on when fog switch is in the "off" position, then tap it to the other fog light wire. Easy peasy. As for why the one is getting power, that you'll have to trace back.

Ok I can try that! Let me check it...

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
So, with Nero’s suggestion, I was able to make the fog lights work with the switch. I still need to figure out why the one light comes on. Must be an issue with the relay or something. Thanks for your help!

jmh61255

TDI
2004 GLS Wagon
After installing a similar kit which designates pin #8 on the light switch harness connector the lamps failed to light when prompted. With a multitester there was no conductivity through 8 regardless where the Euro light selector switch was positioned. However pin 5 did have continuity exclusively when the switch was positioned to the fog lamp setting. After moving the relay connection from pin 8 to 5 the fog lamps lit up.