Before and after lowering

Picaroon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
:D So this is before and after installing H&R Sport Springs and I also added the Neuspeed rear bar. The installation also included the ECS lowering spring installation kit as recommended by my mechanic.
I am more then pleased with the improved handling and ride!
Thanks to witchcraftz thread that was well put together and helped me make the right choice! http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=488538

Last edited:

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Thanks for posting. I'm glad to see it lowered it that much. I too have the same car and didn't think looking at how high mine sits it wouldn't lower to much. Are you using H&R 54786-2? I know some others use different part numbers.
I'm also installing Bilstein B8 along with the H&R springs. I already have the parts just waiting for early spring to install.
This is how mine sits now.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I'm back to monster truck status now but I ran the H& Rs for a couple thousand miles with stock dampers. Body control is definitely improved. I thought the ride was just okay. I raised the car back up after scraping too much on the poorly designed entrance/exits around LA.

Everything is relative, and I'm getting old, but the ride back at stock height is much better. BMAN you might want to consider the B8s if you can still exchange. The B6s are recommended for stock height and you might end up over-damped.

My plan is to go B6 in the future because I'm not going lower but I wouldn't mind the improved body control.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Picaroon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
Thanks for posting. I'm glad to see it lowered it that much. I too have the same car and didn't think looking at how high mine sits it wouldn't lower to much. Are you using H&R 54786-2? I know some others use different part numbers.
I'm also installing Bilstein B6 along with the H&R springs. I already have the parts just waiting for early spring to install.
This is how mine sits now.
Thanks!! Yes I'm using the 54786-2's and I'm also using the stock dampeners.. I agree with Cuzoe, go with the B8's if you can.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Mine sits pretty low stock also. I am having a hard time understanding the benefits of lowering a street vehicle besides looks alone but keep in mind this is all new to me since all of my previous vehicles have been higher in height, most in the pickup and SUV class.

I can understand improved handling but I cannot understand improved ride. To me improved handling means stiffer suspension and improved ride means softer suspension. It would be great if you could document your observations over the next few weeks of the differences you notice in each, good or bad.

Picaroon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
I'm back to monster truck status now but I ran the H& Rs for a couple thousand miles with stock dampers. Body control is definitely improved. I thought the ride was just okay. I raised the car back up after scraping too much on the poorly designed entrance/exits around LA.

Everything is relative, and I'm getting old, but the ride back at stock height is much better. BMAN you might want to consider the B8s if you can still exchange. The B6s are recommended for stock height and you might end up over-damped.

My plan is to go B6 in the future because I'm not going lower but I wouldn't mind the improved body control.

lol.. I'm an old dog too and this is my weekend ride. Maybe some B8's and a new front sway bar down the road but for now I'm very happy with the ride and handling.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Mine sits pretty low stock also. I am having a hard time understanding the benefits of lowering a street vehicle besides looks alone but keep in mind this is all new to me since all of my previous vehicles have been higher in height, most in the pickup and SUV class.
It's mostly a performance mod that also looks better. Less body roll and probably slightly better fuel efficiency due to improved aero.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Good catch guys. My mistake, mine are B8 Performance Plus designed for lowering springs. I'm no young buck myself about to turn 50 but I've always lowered everything I've owned even my old Cayenne :D

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
lol.. I'm an old dog too and this is my weekend ride. Maybe some B8's and a new front sway bar down the road but for now I'm very happy with the ride and handling.
How do you like the neuspeed rear bar? At one point I had the neuspeed in my garage, waiting to install but then I scraped my Unibrace UBQ coming out of a parking garage and got cold feet about installing anything that reduces ground clearance. Now that I'm trucking again I have no worries, haha.

I liked what a rear bar did for my Mk4, although I drive that car much harder than I drive the Mk7.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Picaroon have you had the alignment done yet? If so how was the readings? I know on the TDI mainly just the front toe can be adjusted.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You don't want any toe-in in the back. I think you mean camber.

Picaroon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
How do you like the neuspeed rear bar? At one point I had the neuspeed in my garage, waiting to install but then I scraped my Unibrace UBQ coming out of a parking garage and got cold feet about installing anything that reduces ground clearance. Now that I'm trucking again I have no worries, haha.
I liked what a rear bar did for my Mk4, although I drive that car much harder than I drive the Mk7.
I like it! Definitely flattened things out and its tucked up a little more then I thought it would be.

Picaroon have you had the alignment done yet? If so how was the readings? I know on the TDI mainly just the front toe can be adjusted.
Yep, had it done when the springs were installed. Everything is in the green except the front camber, its right on the edge @ -1*12 on the left and in the green @ -1*03 on the right. The tech said tried moving the subframe around and its as good as he could get it. Feels fine and wheel is perfectly centered. When the springs settle a little I'll have them check it again. I had my local VW dealer do all the suspension work. Probably not the cheapest way to go but I know it was done right. The service tech has a crush on my car I think.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Yep, had it done when the springs were installed. Everything is in the green except the front camber, its right on the edge @ -1*12 on the left and in the green @ -1*03 on the right. The tech said tried moving the subframe around and its as good as he could get it. Feels fine and wheel is perfectly centered. When the springs settle a little I'll have them check it again. I had my local VW dealer do all the suspension work. Probably not the cheapest way to go but I know it was done right. The service tech has a crush on my car I think.
Thanks... that's great news, hope mine will be the same.