www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old January 19th, 2019, 11:08   #1
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: In the sig
Default ProfBrown's 2015 GSW TDI Build

Purchased a 2015 GSW TDI with the DSG trans this past Thursday. Loving my new-to-me grandpa wagon!! Already put just shy of 200 miles on her as of the Saturday morning following the purchase. Needless to say I love this car and do not regret trading in my previous daily driver one bit. This is my first modern VW, my first personal diesel, and my first turbo car of any kind so this will be the build (or more or less the maintenance log with some slight mods) of the car that is now my daily! Plan is to make a sort of storm trooper looking wagon without going crazy and blowing the bank or messing with how the car already performs, as I am actually quite impressed with this car out of the box!
Plans:
  • Window tint (limo on all the back, 30% on the front sides, undecided if I want to do a limo strip on the front windshield)
  • Black wheels of some sort. Planning on keeping this car with no body mods, so I'll stay with stock wheel and tire size (225/45/17) just go black on the wheels to play off of the white paint. Recommendations are welcome for style and brand!
  • Maybe mudflaps? I live down 3 miles of dirt road and when it rains it can get muddy so we will see on this one...
  • Maybe black out the badges with plasti-dip or other material to add to the contrast of the white and black?
I will post more pics as I keep the car longer with the places I go. Few pictures so far as I have been busy driving it or spending the time with my lady before school kicks back up for the semester.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
ProfBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 11:09   #2
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old January 19th, 2019, 11:56   #3
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

I guess I should also ask what is the recommended oil change window, it was done right before I bought the car, but I am used to on my truck doing it every 5k or so... Seeing what looks like some people going 10k? Is there a preferred oil/ oil filter to use? On the truck I just ran high mileage Mobil 1 and their filter and it was plenty happy. I know the trans is at every 40K so I will be doing it myself at 80k or so, maybe a bit earlier. The only record I have of the trans work being done was at 56k miles when the dealer I bought it from took it into their stock. Shifts flawlessly though, so I am not worried.

Side note, I had noticed the passenger side tail light has some condensation in it... Might have to use the warranty on it lol. Is condensation in taillights common with these cars? I know some trucks suffer from it! Never had a car with a warranty before!

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old January 19th, 2019, 12:41   #4
bizzle
Veteran Member

Oil is 10K with 507 spec.
I use idparts: https://www.idparts.com/scheduled-ma...its-c-175.html

Unless you have documentation the DSG service was done at 40K, I'd do it now. I did mine since my car was at 65K and I was either 15K too late or 15K too early and I knew which way I wanted to error since that's one item not covered under the extended warranty.

Depending on which part of California you're in, from one Prof. B to another Prof. B, I have a bunch of tools you could use to DIY all of what you need to do.
I'm actually going to put a big order in for my ALH and my 2015 services in a day or two.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 12:48   #5
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

I have documentation saying the fluids were done at 56k miles at the dealer I bought it from. So it is at least partially fresh. Also has a really amazing 2 year unlimited mine warranty since it’s a CPO TDI! Would you still be worried about the trans fluid/filter with it being done less than 400 miles ago?

Anyone know the part number for the MDI to lightning cable? In case I ever end up using it? Who even has a 30pin iPhone anymore? Lol.

Edit: I have 5w-30 left over from my truck, but it is the High Mileage formulation. Ill need to check to see if that specific oil is 507 spec. If not I have no plans on using it trust me... Also from the link you sent me, this seems to be the exact kit I will need, but I wanted to double check as the link you sent put me in a list viewer not an exact kit. From what I hear the oil filter is in a stupid location on these cars and there is a tool to make it less messy, is that recommended?
https://www.idparts.com/20l-tdi-oil-...798678771ac63d

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE

Last edited by ProfBrown; January 19th, 2019 at 12:57.
Old January 19th, 2019, 12:49   #6
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

I am located in So Cal. In the Temecula area.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old January 19th, 2019, 13:05   #7
bizzle
Veteran Member

Oh good. I wasn't sure if that was the transmission work you were referring to. Yeah, those CPOs are fantastic with their unlimited warranty. I ended up not going that direction because of the price I paid for my '15.

I'm a bit further south and east from you, but I can drive that way soon. I've got an IDparts oil extractor and a wired VCDS that I could drop off. If I haven't sold the VCDS by then you can borrow it and make whatever changes you need. I'll possibly be going to North County on the 25th/26th to pick up a bug, but I'm definitely going to LA during Chinese New Year (first week of Feb) and could pick everything back up on the way back down.

When I had my 2012, it was sold from Mossy and taken back home to Murrieta and serviced there until I bought it so I continued to let them service it. They used to have some special where they charged me around $65 bucks for oil changes if I'm not mistaken...but it might have been $85. Whatever it was, it was worth it to me not to have to worry about anything but we stopped going with the '15 because it doesn't have the same paper trail and my wife and I stopped making the SD to LA trip frequently enough to stop off there. Anyway, I think the people at Murrieta are a good group of people from my experience and I don't say that lightly when it comes to VW dealerships

Let me know if you need anything. I'm not looking forward to Tuesday, that's for sure. I've been on reduced load for the past semester for family leave :P I'm just kinda hanging out on the boards today delaying the inevitable...
Old January 19th, 2019, 13:37   #8
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Lol sounds good! I actually bought this from VW of Murrieta on Thursday! I donít remember if I said that.

And the VCDS tool is used for the trans filter and fluid changes yes? That is what I am commonly hearing about. Like I said this is my first modern VW, and my first personal diesel at that so I am new to these acronyms and short hand stuff lol. Start talking Chevy and I am game on lol.

Yeah I go to CSUSM so I will be in North County twice a week on Monday/Wednesdayís for class. Other than that pretty much just am in Temecula for work or play.

Very nice of you to extend the helping hand and offering to let me barrow the tools. I am unsure what you mean by changes with the VCDS tool honestly. And with the maintenance they did at the CPO testing and the lists I got, it looks like all fluids, cabin air, AdBlue filled, tires new, 4 wheel alignment, wiper blades and all were replaced I donít see a need for any maintenance for a few thousand miles unless there is something I have missed... The passenger twilight assembly was swapped, but it seems my luck the new one has a leak somewhere and the lense is getting some condensation in it.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old January 19th, 2019, 13:57   #9
bizzle
Veteran Member

Yeah, you sound like you're good to go on the service for now.

You can do some cool mods with a VCDS. I have my gauge needles sweep and windows roll up/down with my remote control. Search for VCDS tweaks MK7 and you'll find a long list over on the vortex (google that if you don't know what it is).

SM is a fantastic campus! It used to be one of our satellites but has really grown...as has the entire North County area since the 70s!

I thought you were a fellow professor but it sounds like you're attending classes? Well the offer still stands to do some wrenching and tool sharing I still have family in North County and am up there frequently.

I see you mentioned Murrieta in another thread. Good deal.
Old January 19th, 2019, 14:00   #10
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Default ProfBrown's 2015 GSW TDI Build

I will have to look up those tweak! Wonder if one of them is the needles stay red like when the car is off but accessory is on but like that all the time?

Anyways, sorry for the misleading lol, I am a student yes, the Prof part is a neighborly joke cause with certain topics I can be a know it all. I had been proven correct too many times for one neighbor to handle so they took to called me the Professor lol.

I didnít say it before on any other threads, but I am 21 going on 22 in March so still a youngin!

Edit: I am an idiot lol, the needles are already red...

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE

Last edited by ProfBrown; January 19th, 2019 at 14:08.
Old January 19th, 2019, 17:21   #11
bizzle
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention that I have a brand new MDI to lighting cable that I don't use.
The part number is 000051446Q. You can have it for like $30 bucks.
Old January 19th, 2019, 17:24   #12
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

I was looking over some of the tweaks, and not many seem like anything I would be interested in other than the needle sweep for the dash, most just seem like stuff for gasser cars and what not. Some stuff for brake lights... ever heard of any tweaks messing with warranties?

And thank you, but I might just buy a cheapie of amazon and make sure it works and just leave it in the glove box. Donít plan on using it much if ever honestly. Not like the car has Apple CarPlay so as it is Bluetooth audio/calling/Waze direction read out is needed. Thanks though once again!

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old January 19th, 2019, 17:36   #13
bizzle
Veteran Member

I used to buy those cheapie ones but back in 2012 they were made to look like the OE ones and the square was junk and would fall apart after a while. After a couple of those I finally bought an OE one...and then the buyback happened and I never used it lmfao.

The ebay ones look better built now, even better than the OE one, imo. The other problem was iOS updates would brick the cables because they weren't licensed lightning adapters. I don't know if that's been fixed.

Tweaks can't void warranties.
Old January 19th, 2019, 17:39   #14
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

I had assumed unless the coding of the tweak caused the issue then your warranty would be intact but I thought Iíd ask still. Still no tweaks I can see the need for. This car is nice out of the box and I have yet to have a complaint honestly.

And yeah Apple being stingy sure is bs. And I way it costs VW more than 20 bucks to make this adaptor yet they charge 65 for it. Iíll give the gamble on 9 bucks and if itís no bueno Iíll reevaluate lol.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old January 19th, 2019, 17:47   #15
bizzle
Veteran Member

I wouldn't waste your money on either one.

I just connect to BT and play Spotify. It's controllable via the steering wheel and the stereo face (and voice if you want to play around with it). There is a USB to MDI that will keep it charged while you use BT, but I don't use that anymore, either.

If I plug in to charge, I use a USB to lightening. I keep a dual USB 12v charger plugged into the center console with two Apple cables. I just leave my phone in my pocket or toss it in that cubby under the stereo (but I don't have to fiddle with a cable) and it connects to the head unit when I turn it on. If I ever need to charge it, it's right there and my wife does the same thing. You mentioned your gf traveling with you so you'll have to get a USB charger anyway or one day both phones will get low...might as well get the dual charger now and they probably have them at the dollar store.