New 2003 Center Console/Cup Holder

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
So, YOU'RE the one who called?? Do we know each other?

I've asked John to order this so we can verify that it is indeed the part. SVTWEB saw that the other day and I didn't want to get people's hopes up if it wasn't the right part.

I'll post the findings.

Lito

leadfootedfool

I don't know you, but John was saying you were getting ready to go to the dealership and take apart a new one. I started laughing because I made a deal with a local service manager as soon as new one comes in for service we get to take it apart.

I didn't want to get people hopes up either, but figured it might be worth a shot.

JettaJedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL 5 spd, 2003 Jetta TDI GL 4dr 5 spd, 2017 Golf TSI Wolfsburg Edition
These might help out john when he's ordering the new console or if you'd like an armrest in a gl like myself.
Speaking of armrests - anyone have the part number for the armrest and the installation bracket ?

Nitejav

Veteran Member
TDI
NiteJav
Everything says the wagon uses the same parts as the sedan. But, from personal experience, there is NO WAY IMHO that this can be true.
Lito, I just got the cup holder plastic for my Jetta Sedan. Will it install okay? Is the wagon the only one that has the e-brake mod problem or will I face hacking up my e-brake mount points as well? Just wanting to know before I start doing this, and how long will this whole operation take?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NiteJav,

We're still working on identifying the e-brake handle. But, if we do find it, it's not cheap. $74.00!!!!

So, "hacking it up" is certainly less expensive. I've had mine this way now for many weeks and I've been really pulling up hard on the handle. Still solid as a rock. No problems.

On another note:

FOLKS, here it is!!!

I'm getting mine tomorrow. John has two more.

Lito

leadfootedfool

Cool beans.

I'm waiting for the ebrake to get in, then getting the cup holder, coin holder and ebrake all together.

Jedi- part numbers are

1J0898079-bracket and bolts

3B0867173LKD-armrest cover

3B0867174A94-armrest base

1J0864279B2QL-plastic side cover

1J0864280B2QL-plastic side cover

Those are the numbers for a black cloth car.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Lito:

Forgive my ignorance, but, should I conclude from all the discussion above that it is necessary to order a new front console (the part forward of the centre console that the transmission control sticks up through) in order to mount this snazzy new centre console?

I visited my dealer today, he gave me my new centre console thing (same as what you had photographed) - he was even sharp enough to order the coin holder and rear cupholder thing in my absence for me when he saw they would be needed.

But - I don't want to start disassembly until I have ALL the parts together - and I kind of get the impression I need to buy a new front console as well. Is this correct?

Michael

PS: When at the dealer today, the parts dude and I found a new Jetta sedan in the showroom that had this design cupholder in it - so it is not just a "wagon" feature. Looks like a running change to all the Jetta's.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Michael,

Nope. You don't need a new front center console, the old one works fine.

There is an insert for the rear cup holder that you also need. It's called a "cap" for rear cupholder.

Michael, what we need to know is what the part number for the E-brake handle is for the Jetta Sedan and Wagon that have the new stlye holder. It HAS to be different from what is in the older cars.

Lito

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, I'll go back to my dealer this week and see if they will let me dis-assemble one of the new cars. The dealership owner drives a new Jetta wagon with the new style cupholder - maybe he will let me take it apart.

Then again - maybe I might be better off bringing a borescope along and trying to find the part number that way...

Michael

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Michael,

Great! Make sure to take some pictures of the mounting bolts and the handle bracket.

Thanks,

Lito

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Lito:

Here's an ETKA printout from my dealer - I wonder if part number 10 (mounting for handbrake lever) is what we are looking for?

I am a little concerned that the ETKA does not show "PR-4M2" off to the right in the 'Model' column, because on the other ETKA printouts that reference this new centre console cupholder, every instance of a part related to the new cupholder has "PR-4M2" in the model column.

However - this illustration might help one of us figure it out (and might save me having to disassemble a new Jetta).

Michael

Very 'up to date' EKTA printout from my friendly VW dealer showing handbrake mount

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Leadfoot,

Part number is 1J0 858 033 2QL. The part is on national back order

Michael, My version 542 shows the same info. Nothing denoting PR-4M2. That's the dilema. The only other part Eric was able to find was a 1JM number for the Sedan, which is different from the Jetta Wagon and the older Jettas.

John is getting the 1JM...part so we can look at it.

Lito

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Any news? I think I'm modifying my handbrake tomorrow, I can't continue to drive around without an interior for much longer

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
And you guys think that being a pioneer is easy.....

Now you know all the stuff that I go through doing European mods to my car. It took 4 months for me to get all of my interior parts....

Mahoutsukai

Veteran Member
Supposedly I'll be getting my gray version of the center console in on Thursday (that's what fedex says). IMPEX notes that the coin holder (or whatever that thing is) is on backorder 2 weeks.
I'll post the parts and pictures once I get it in.
I'm guessing that I'm still going to have to get:
-rear grey interior cup holder
-grey leather e-brake (my current interior is not leather)
If any of you have the correct part numbers for these items yet, or anything else I'm going to need please tell me in this thread. Thank you!

leadfootedfool

And you guys think that being a pioneer is easy.....

Now you know all the stuff that I go through doing European mods to my car. It took 4 months for me to get all of my interior parts....
You have no idea how much respect people have for you for being the pioneer. I bought the tdi to get good mileage and have a reliable car that I left bone stock, after seeing your mods I am constantly challenging that. And yes, I'd really like that interior in brushed aluminum, even if i waited 4 months

Mahoutsukai

Veteran Member
Look... it comes in grey too!

I currently have on order the "Cap for gas filler door button" (I don't know why they called it this) 1J08622923SG It was $6.00 and is on backorder 2 weeks. I think this is the grey version of the coin insert, I was told by Impex that I would need it for this new center console. I'll post pictures when it arrives.
I still need to order:
The rear cup holder: 1J0 862 533F (in grey)
However, Lito & others, I'm waiting to combine that with another part I'll need. I'm anxious to hear back on what the correct part number for the correctly fitting grey leather handbrake would be. Any updates? Thanks for being so helpfull everybody!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think that cap is the right part. That's a cap for the fuel door button hole if your console even has a hole.(which I don't think it does)

There is another "cap" that is needed and it's an insert for the rear cup holder.

LOOK AT THIS PIC

If you take a look at the other post on this cup holder, when you pull out the cup holder there is a plastic piece "inside" so you don't see the holes for the screws.

It's like a trim piece that finishes off the rear cup holder and it also has the "wheels" that are designed to fit the teeth along the underside of the rails.

If you've got the rear cup holder, turn it upside down. Along either "leg" you will see "teeth". If you notice, these don't guide against anything in the console. You're missing this "insert" or "cap" as it's called in ETKA.

Hope this isn't confusing.

Lito

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here it is....

Look carefully at the picture. See how the inside is "finished"?? Someone said that it becomes (2) cupholders. One on the outside and one on the inside.

Lito

Mahoutsukai

Veteran Member
Thanks for the update Lito! So, I assume that nobody has figured out the deal with the handbrake yet?
I'd like to buy the correctly fitting grey leather handbrake.

Looks like the handbrake is the last piece to this puzzle, seems like you got the right part numbers for everything else.
After the part number for the handbrakes are all figured out then it would be nice to post a complete part list up to do a complete swap out in all colors.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
You can see additional pics in my Auto Show folder, linked in the "news" forum. I will post links here when I get a chance.

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, 2008 E320 Bluetec
OK, this may not be the best solution to the e-brake problem, but here's what I did...

I simply put a slight bend/twist in the vertical part of the handle mounting bracket. I did it with the assembly still bolted in the car. With the benefit of hindsight I'd probably remove it before bending it, but it was one of those times when you say to yourself "there's a 50 percent chance this is gonna go badly..." and then you proceed anyway. The assembly seems as strong as ever and the brake lever functions properly.

Gotta love being able to have a cup of coffee in the holder and see the radio display.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We believe the 1JM number for the handle is the right part...waiting for it to come in.

Lito

LarryLymb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon 2003 Mojave Beige, 5 speed
Could one of you "been there, done that" guys tell me how to remove the front console? I put my wife's driver's license on top of the ash tray cover and it slipped into the crack and went inside the console. HELP!

dkuster

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI
My 2003 Golf (bought in January) did not come with the
new center console. I'm trying to figure out if my
situation is any better/worse as far as parts needed
for this upgrade?

Do I still need:

1J0 863 323R 2QL center console
1J0 862 533F 2QL rear cup holder
1J0 863 328G B41 coin insert