GTG: Sturgeon Bay, WI Cruise/GTG October 20th, 2018

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
After much thought and turmoil on when to have the cruise/gtg, I've decided that one fall gathering would work best for most. This way it gives everyone plenty of notice on when the cruise/gtg will be held and can make necessary plans to make it to the cruise/gtg. Plus it should be close to peak fall colors that weekend. :D
Your more than welcome to invite a friend that is into cars, but doesn't have a TDI. I figure the more the merrier.:cool:

Our shop will be the meeting spot for the cruise/gtg.
203 Keel Ct
Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235

Our shop is 60x90 and has a 2 post lift for anyone that would be interested in getting underneath their car or just make it easier to rotate tires, change pads, bleed/flush brakes, etc. Please no major work unless I approve it.

Start time is 9am and we usually have a 15 minute meet and greet before we leave for the cruise. The cruise usually takes between 3-4 hours depending on route/speed if you just wanna come for the gtg portion or if there is someone that would be there tuning cars. You can figure we'll be back between 12:30 and 1.

If you can please bring a dish to pass(can be cookies, chips, water, soda, napkins, plates, plasticware, etc) for when we get back from the cruise and get the grill going to cook some burgers, brats, and if you wanna bring something else to put on the grill you're more than welcome to.

EDIT: Unfortunately Jeff at Rocketchip had to cancel his trip here due to a family obligation that came up. If things change I'll keep you guys and gals updated.

Feel free to pm me or ask here if you think others might be wondering the same thing. I look forward to seeing everyone this fall. :)

Here's a link to last years cruise/gtg: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=480490

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
cool, so is there going to be any tuners there or don't we know yet. Got to get the new car tuned :):)
No one has committed at the moment, but I'm working on getting someone to tune cars at the cruise/gtg.

I hate to say it, but if there's enough interest in getting your car tuned, you may have to miss the cruise portion, so everyone that wants a tune can get one. Otherwise if it's just a handful of people needing a tune I would think that everyone can participate in the cruise and get their car tuned when we get back.
Please don't hold me to that, since it will be at the tuners discretion on what they want to do.
Mark this is just a generalization and not aimed specifically at you. ;)

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
No one has committed at the moment, but I'm working on getting someone to tune cars at the cruise/gtg.

I hate to say it, but if there's enough interest in getting your car tuned, you may have to miss the cruise portion, so everyone that wants a tune can get one. Otherwise if it's just a handful of people needing a tune I would think that everyone can participate in the cruise and get their car tuned when we get back.
Please don't hold me to that, since it will be at the tuners discretion on what they want to do.
Mark this is just a generalization and not aimed specifically at you. ;)
well if that is the way it has to be the so be it. I miss the Jetta's tune the new car just doesn't do it right now. Gets great mileage but just doesn't go :):rolleyes: need POWER

Mark

shadowhand

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Are you going to set up a Meetup or Facebook even so that we can track it? I'd love to make it just need some way to track it beyond my calendar or I'll forget about it until it's too late! :O

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you going to set up a Meetup or Facebook even so that we can track it? I'd love to make it just need some way to track it beyond my calendar or I'll forget about it until it's too late! :O
I guess I hadn't thought about it, but I can put something up on Facebook. I'll post the link and add it to the original post as well.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Good news is that Jeff from Rocketchip will be making the trip to come and tune cars for the day. I'm not sure if Jeff does DSG tunes, so please contact him if you're interested in getting one or he might post in this thread in his regards to doing DSG tunes.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Jeff definitely does DSG tunes. We'll try and make it.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
anyone know the prices? Just so I know how much to bring along
Your best bet is to email or text Jeff directly for the price of his tunes, since I'm sure the price varies on what you want done. Let me know if you want me to pm you his info.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Your best bet is to email or text Jeff directly for the price of his tunes, since I'm sure the price varies on what you want done. Let me know if you want me to pm you his info.

yes please send me his info. I have no idea who Jeff is. :)

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hi,
Sorry I am not going to make it to the gtg due to family obligations beyond my control. If things change I will advise.
Jeff ;-((

edit; btw, there is a Michigan gtg in the planning stages at Kirks, I may attend in oct/nov tbd. just saying.

Last edited:

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
If people are up for a fast pace on curvy roads and I'm free I may come up.

Man, I should get a Malone stage 1.5... but with 300k on the ol girl may not be the wisest.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Still haven't made it to one of these yet... Not sure what's on my calendar that far out. Fast paced curvy roads, maybe I'll bring the Supermoto... If anyone wants a tune and doesn't want to wait until maybe October, hit me up!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
If people are up for a fast pace on curvy roads and I'm free I may come up.

Man, I should get a Malone stage 1.5... but with 300k on the ol girl may not be the wisest.
I'd like to think that cruise has a good pace without being out of hand where an accident could happen or where we leave people in the dust/coal. ;)

As long as the maintenance is up to date, I don't see why you shouldn't get a tune even at 300k, since you still have another 200k to put on the engine before you really need to start worrying. :p

Still haven't made it to one of these yet... Not sure what's on my calendar that far out. Fast paced curvy roads, maybe I'll bring the Supermoto... If anyone wants a tune and doesn't want to wait until maybe October, hit me up!
It would be great if you could make it, since Jeff had something come up and you get to hit the fun twisty roads of Door County. :D

I'm not sure if you would wanna bring the Supermoto and then get stuck near the back of 8-9 diesels rolling coal. ;)

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
I'd like to think that cruise has a good pace without being out of hand where an accident could happen or where we leave people in the dust/coal. ;)

As long as the maintenance is up to date, I don't see why you shouldn't get a tune even at 300k, since you still have another 200k to put on the engine before you really need to start worrying. :p

It would be great if you could make it, since Jeff had something come up and you get to hit the fun twisty roads of Door County. :D

I'm not sure if you would wanna bring the Supermoto and then get stuck near the back of 8-9 diesels rolling coal. ;)

Well I just contacted Kevin going to have the tune done on the 6th of July. Eric you can take me off the tune list at your GTG so I can go on the run :):):) I guess I don't need a DSG tune so it's cheaper too.

Mark

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I just contacted Kevin going to have the tune done on the 6th of July. Eric you can take me off the tune list at your GTG so I can go on the run :):):) I guess I don't need a DSG tune so it's cheaper too.

Mark
Thanks for the heads up Mark :)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I know it took me longer than it should have, but here's the link to the Event I created on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/events/2238217956413010/

Feel free to share with others that aren't members here. ;)

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Would you guys mind if a GLK250 Bluetec somehow found its way up there with you all?

I haven't been to a GTG/cruise event in years, and it sounds like it should be a good time. I'm about 4 hrs away.

Any expenses we should be aware of?

Is there a final word on attending tuners? I'd be interested in at least discussing possible options.

Thank you guys in advance.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
You're more than welcome to attend. The more the merrier in my opinion. :D The fact that it's a diesel is a bonus of course. lol

If you could bring something to pass or share would be fantastic.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like a tuner is going to attend, unless something changes last minute.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Thanks, I thought I'd check first just in case my schedule allows for it. Sturgeon Bay looks to be about 4 hrs NW of Lake Geneva, and if I'm only able to come up for the day that'll be quite a bit of driving.

I'll have to check with the boss (read wife) as well, so nothing is settled yet.

Too bad about tuners :( I'll check back before the day of.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I thought I'd check first just in case my schedule allows for it. Sturgeon Bay looks to be about 4 hrs NW of Lake Geneva, and if I'm only able to come up for the day that'll be quite a bit of driving.

I'll have to check with the boss (read wife) as well, so nothing is settled yet.

Too bad about tuners :( I'll check back before the day of.
You're more than welcome to drive up on Friday and crash at my place, so it splits up the driving time for you.

I'll see if I can get ahold of the 2 people that I know are Malone Tuning dealers if they would be interested in attending.

On a different note...What route do you guys wanna go on this year? The last couple of years we've explored Northern Door County, so I figured I'd see if there is any interest in exploring Southern Door County?
To be up front there aren't as many sites to see in the southern part of the county, not saying the roads aren't as much fun to drive. It's just that there's not much to stop and look at like there is the northern part of the county.
So I'm going to leave it up to you guys to decide where we go this year on the cruise.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
What do you think of this for a stop idea? It's right in Sturgeon Bay.
https://www.doorcountycoffee.com/

I'm planning on being up in time for the cruise, but if not, I'll definitely be there for the bull session after. I'm not bringing brats, but I'll have something just as good, that should stick to your ribs. Especially since the weather forecast looks, shall we say, interesting for Saturday.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
What do you think of this for a stop idea? It's right in Sturgeon Bay.
https://www.doorcountycoffee.com/
I'm planning on being up in time for the cruise, but if not, I'll definitely be there for the bull session after. I'm not bringing brats, but I'll have something just as good, that should stick to your ribs. Especially since the weather forecast looks, shall we say, interesting for Saturday.
I hate to break it to you, but the coffin shop you linked is about 15 to 20 minutes north of town in Carlsville technically.

I'm going to be picking up 16 hamburgers, so hopefully whatever you're bringing tastes even better than your brats. ;)