Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old March 8th, 2018, 06:24   #1
Veteran Member
Default MK3 Bose System really worth it?

Good Morning,

I have acquired from the junk yard the bose system from a mk3. I am trying to justify whether or not I should keep it. I have heard mixed reviews about the system. At this point I only have the in-dash tweeters and two 6.5" door speakers. I understand that the output for the Panasonic stereo is 2 ohms per speaker. And I haven't heard good reviews about the stereo in the first place. I would like to be able to use an early mk4 clarion unit (4 ohm output). However, the bose speakers are rated at 2 ohms. I'm thinking the clarion 4 ohm stereo with the bose amplifier and the 2 ohm speakers would blow up the speakers. I would have to run extra wires to the second set of tweeters in the dash. It all just seems like a pain in the butt. Any input or justification would be appreciated.

jhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 08:29   #2
Veteran Member

When connecting speakers in parallel the formula to use is (R1 x R2)/(R1 + R2).
If your speakers are 2 ohms each and you parallel them when connecting the amplifier, what you get is (2 x 2) divided by (2 + 2) so 4/4 equals 1 ohm at the amplifier. If you connect your speakers in series then the resistance just adds together; where 2+2 equals 4 ohms.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 Custom TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 08:59   #3
Veteran Member

That sounds like a lot more work than I want to do. I was hoping to just be able to wire everything up the same as it was in the jetta while retaining my original door speaker connections, here is the wiring diagram for said system. if I wire these in series I essentially would remove the wires from 25 and 26 and combine them with wires going into pins 1 and 2 in the amplifier? Or that cut the ohms in half (ie wiring in parallel)? Series would be removing the wire at 25, connecting that wire to the left rear woofer and removing the wire from pin 2 altogether. Or If I just want to get rid of the amp altogether,
jhax is offline   Reply With Quote