www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 6th, 2018, 07:00   #1
spanky1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50mpg/42mpg
Default Coolant Tank Cap faulty

I have a 2001 TDI with ~340k miles. Recently, I've lost coolant, so I've had to occasionally add some. A few years back, I had to replace a cracked coolant reservoir, but didn't replace the cap at the same time.

I've recently noticed that when removing the cap after the car sits overnight, there is a vacuum on the tank/lid. Same process as a pressure cooker sealing, I assume. The center piece of the cap is always stuck in the opening of the tank, and I have to pull it out by hand, and pop it back onto the cap.

1-Is the vacuum created by the cooling of the coolant normal? Since this is a closed system, it seems normal.

2-What would be the symptoms of a faulty cap? Since it holds a vacuum, it obviously seals quite well.

The coolant leak is bothersome, and I wondered if the lid could cause any issues.
spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 07:19   #2
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

If you're relieving pressure in the cooling system after the car sits overnight you may have a leaking head gasket. Next time the car sits check the radiator hoses and see if they're hard. that is an indication that the system is getting pressurized. Also, run your finger around the inside of the coolant bottle. If it has soot on it after, that's another indicator.
Old March 6th, 2018, 07:29   #3
AndyBees
Veteran Member

1. Yes

2. Not sure! But, those caps are cheap.

Here is a "in the nut shell" experience I had 4 years ago. (2002 ALH in my 84 Vanagon)

On the first day of a very long (33 days) road trip, the coolant pressure line from the expansion tank to a gauge split on the back of the gauge. This is something I set-up to monitor cooling system pressure.

Well, I did not bother to make a repair............ drove the entire 33 days and almost 12k miles without the cooling system pressurized. The engine preformed just fine and no coolant leaks. Repeated the same trip two years later with the system working as it suppose to, engine ran fine.

But, you need pressure in the system to find the leak, assuming it is not at the cap. I'd start with a new cap.
Old March 6th, 2018, 07:56   #4
KLXD
Veteran Member

Cap shouldn't come apart but is the system under pressure when it gets hot? If not you need a new cap and this might splain your coolant loss but it's probably going elsewhere.

The reason for a pressurized system is to raise the boiling point of the coolant. Doesn't seem necessary on these engines which are efficient with well designed cooling systems. But who knows whats going on deep in the engine on the cylinder walls or the top of the combustion chamber.

I know Andy's not recommending running unpressurized all the time but being the picky guy that I am I thought I'd mention it.

Sealed system is to keep air out.

Can't have one without the other when the fluid goes from ambient, which might be well below zero to maybe 200 or more.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 08:10   #5
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky1 View Post
The center piece of the cap is always stuck in the opening of the tank, and I have to pull it out by hand, and pop it back onto the cap.
For sure it's not normal for the cap to come apart like that.

The pressure in the system is dynamic, depending on running conditions, ambient temps, etc, and a slight "whoosh" when you loosen the cap the next morning is normal.

If the cap is not working properly it may vent prematurely...then seal as the system cools, creating a slight vacuum. I'd replace the defective cap and then see if you have any further issues... collapsing hoses...etc.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 02:00   #6
UhOh
Veteran Member

Sure sounds like a bad cap. Replace it and then see how the coolant loss issue is.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2018, 12:58   #7
spanky1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50mpg/42mpg

Thanks all. Gonna replace the cap and see how it goes. I just noticed the relief "port" today. I always thought these vented around the cap, rather than diverting from the cap.
spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2018, 06:12   #8
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

I have a feeling IBW is right on this one... but cross your fingers its just the cap.