www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 5th, 2018, 09:11   #16
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmoo View Post
?????
I'm sorry but that's plain silly.
Do you put tires,brakes etc,etc on your vehicle occasionally?
The glow plugs are designed to help your tdi start not just to pass an emisions test....why wouldn't you want a functioning glow plug system?????
What I'm saying is an electrical harness shouldn't be a wear item. It's a poor design if it is. Also, why spend $100 when I can spend way under $20 and come up with a significantly better harness.
Old March 5th, 2018, 10:56   #17
DavidMTroyer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1999.5 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 39/43/49

You might get lucky applying some dielectric grease to the glow plugs where they interface with the harness. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, consider it with a new harness.
DavidMTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 12:10   #18
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

I like the idea of rebuilding that GP harness. They sell the bits like the boots etc.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 12:20   #19
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You can also have high resistance/poor connections through the glow plug relay. Or inside the relay itself.

You have to do a voltage drop test from inside the car to the plug connection on the engine, while some sort of load is placed on the system.
Old March 5th, 2018, 16:11   #20
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

When you say plug connection do you mean the glow plug harness?
Old March 6th, 2018, 04:38   #21
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Yes, the four connectors made into the "bridge" otherwise known as a harness.

The glow system in these cars is brutally simple, not much to it. I have had DIYrs come in here having given up trying to fix them, only to find out their cheapo Chinavolt multimeter was unable to properly check the plugs. Have had that happen a couple times. My Fluke ET88 works fine. It also cost $400. 25 years ago. Used ones are still worth north of $150. You get what you pay for sometimes.
Old March 6th, 2018, 06:08   #22
paul_cat
Veteran Member

2 cents of input - I used to have these codes each season-change, then I put some dielectric grease into each GP socket and they have been error free for several years now. Cheap insurance...
paul_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 11:59   #23
DavidMTroyer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1999.5 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 39/43/49

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_cat View Post
2 cents of input - I used to have these codes each season-change, then I put some dielectric grease into each GP socket and they have been error free for several years now. Cheap insurance...
Same.
DavidMTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 16:25   #24
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

My harness is past the point of grease. If I go with a factory one I'll definitely grease it.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the glow plug circuit? I'm having a hard time understanding how the ECM monitors the glow plugs if there is only 1 relay.
Old March 6th, 2018, 19:56   #25
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
My Fluke ET88 works fine. It also cost $400. 25 years ago. Used ones are still worth north of $150. You get what you pay for sometimes.
I'm still using my Fluke 77 vintage late 70's (iIrc)
Doesn't have the newer features and I could use a max/min & freeze.
Maybe scope in one also.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 02:41   #26
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

i've repaired several composite glow plug harnesses by breaking off the over molded rubber, tightening the female bullet connectors, reinserting them into the plastic sleeves, and heat shrinking the bare crimps... I squeeze a little bit of black silicone into the top end of the plastic sleeves around the wire to hold it in place

Last edited by jimbote; March 7th, 2018 at 02:44.
jimbote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 11:19   #27
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

Well I made some time after work this morning and threaded the glowplug terminals and built a simple harness. I'm back to having 2 wires instead of just one feeding the glowplugs. I cleared the code and shall see how long this lasts. Considering how quick and easy it was I'm surprised that anyone bothers with the factory style harness.

I tested the glowplugs while they were out and they all started smoking almost immediately when put to power.

Regarding cheap testers, I used my cheap one at home and my not so cheap one at work. Both gave similar numbers so I don't think that is my issue.
Old March 7th, 2018, 21:46   #28
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_your_money View Post
Well I made some time after work this morning and threaded the glowplug terminals and built a simple harness. I'm back to having 2 wires instead of just one feeding the glowplugs. I cleared the code and shall see how long this lasts. Considering how quick and easy it was I'm surprised that anyone bothers with the factory style harness.

I tested the glowplugs while they were out and they all started smoking almost immediately when put to power.

Regarding cheap testers, I used my cheap one at home and my not so cheap one at work. Both gave similar numbers so I don't think that is my issue.

Post a pic. Would like to see your setup
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 12:14   #29
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

I got my bill for the parts. I buy through work so I get it at cost plus I had some parts already. Grand total $0.40. I used 40 inches of 14 gauge wire, 4 ring terminals, 8 #10-24 nuts, 2 quick crimp connectors and some glue filled shrink wrapping. I would have preferred to solder the wires to the harness but the factory wires were too short so I made due.

I'm also happy to report that I passed the e-test and should be getting my sticker tomorrow.

I'll post pictures soon.
Old March 10th, 2018, 09:39   #30
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Now that sounds like a pretty solid fix/upgrade.
Always better to crimp than solder, too.