www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 28th, 2018, 14:23   #1
RedKaotik
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Default New Member, 02 Jetta ALH Auto, new life

Hello all,
*TLDR
Car trashed, brought it back from the dead, Frank TDI shout out for the help.
Minor things left to fix, cant find door handles to replace with.
Question: I have 216 nozzles. is there a specific IQ i should be aiming for?
My IP is timed correctly. IQ was set to default and i hammered it to 5.0 to reduce my coal roll on my onramp takeoffs. I mean i like that people would stop tailgating me but at what cost.

I just recently purchased a dying 2002 Jetta 1.9 TDI that has 180k miles.
this little beast cost me about 400 dollars Plus reg and taxes etc 1k.
But I was hoping the issues would be minor and alas they were not.
This baby needed some work and by some I mean a lot....i mean lets just rebuild the whole car while we are at it.
Budget 1k.

I thank all of you for the amount of time you have spent typing out info guides answering newb questions and providing the incredible amount of details through the years about how to fix known issues and some quirky weird ones.
Here is a list of what I had to do.

1. Engine head failure. PSI 200, 200, 180, 0
2.Timing Belt failure.
3.Serpentine Belt failure(hit the timing belt and broke it)
4. EGR clogged.
5. turbo completely bust and oiled. surprised this thing isnt a runaway.
6. Turbo actuator bust, cant hold a vacuum.
7.injector 4 tip damaged.
8. Glow plugs stuck.
9.vacuum hoses rotted.
10. 4 way cooler tube cracked.
11. Pass engine mount 1 bolt stripped aluminium.
12. well you get the idea this thing needs some love, unfortunately I only had 4 weeks to do this so I had to make some calls and start ordering parts right away.

#1 mention, Frank's VW TDI was a big help, the guy is fantastic, knows his stuff and we were able to work together and come up with a plan on fixing my car.
I'd like to mention that my head was trashed, Maybe fixable if the budget wasn't tight but Frank worked with me and I bought a used head from ebay, sent it directly to him and the work done was phenomenal.
The thing looks brand new and the price was right.


I went slightly over budget to make sure mechanically everything is sound.
I'm not a mechanic, I am a engineer but I do believe with the right tools anything can be fixed.
Things left that i need to budget for....
my taxes... forgot about those.
Suspension, looks like its original 2002.
Tires, good thing I live in California and its 70's
Alignment.
Tail lights, I bought some cheapies but I think im going to go with hella.

If you made it through this post, then i thank you for the read.
Pics to follow soon.
RedKaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 18:18   #2
STDOUBT
Member
 
STDOUBT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, effing Oregon
Default

I'm stuck on the 2000-2003 range and yes they are getting hard to find in good shape. it's really sad. I want a golf for my GF really BAD, but in the whole PNW pickings are really slim. Either they're mostly graveyarded by now, or with people who know how to care for them (and have no real reason to let go).
Standing by for pics!
__________________
2003 Jetta TDI 1.9L 5-speed
All Stock except: Ventectomy
STDOUBT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 19:14   #3
UhOh
Veteran Member
 
UhOh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: PNW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STDOUBT View Post
I'm stuck on the 2000-2003 range and yes they are getting hard to find in good shape. it's really sad. I want a golf for my GF really BAD, but in the whole PNW pickings are really slim. Either they're mostly graveyarded by now, or with people who know how to care for them (and have no real reason to let go).
Standing by for pics!
Ha! I've got THREE Golfs OK, the family has FOUR Golfs (yes, all ALHs, and all manuals)

I don't know what kind of cash outlay you're looking at for one, but someone in the Seattle area recently sold one for $5k, a 5spd with only about 73k miles. She posted here in the Classifieds section. Car was in fantastic shape. That's was a GREAT deal IMO. Son's car had about 155k miles (Canadian car) and was as pristine as one could fine (single owner); paid about $4,200 USD (went for $5,600 CAD).

My 6spd with 206k miles was a steal ($3k). Needed nothing. It fell into my lap: a friend sold it to me. It's my spare.

Keep in mind, if you get something that needs work you're set to use the parts that YOU want: I have rebuilt cars up around these engines, and all have the desired ride and performance that I wanted. If one buys something that already has newer parts then it's a lot harder to justify replacing: I don't like the Bilstein Sports that are in my spare Golf, but they're good enough as it's just my spare car anyway.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 05:29   #4
Mongler98
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern MD
Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKaotik View Post
Question: I have 216 nozzles. Is there a specific IQ I should be aiming for?
My IP is timed correctly. IQ was set to default and I hammered it to 5.0 to reduce my coal roll on my onramp takeoffs. I mean I like that people would stop tailgating me but at what cost.
Yes, 5-6 is a safe zone; you could probably get it down to 4-5 zones. Do you have an EGT gauge; you need one if youíre going to mess with lower higher fuel quantity (lower numbers).
When I did my pp.764s, I did like I was told and put it down to 6, drove nice but not that epic, so I said "screw it, I got gauges" and bumped it up to 1.6 and it turned into a rocket and on the first hard pull on a completely stock engine other than a pd 150 intake, EGR delete, and the pp764's I saw temps on the stock turbo of my AHU of 1650*f, YIKES! And it got there in no time at all; the next step for me was the turbo at that point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKaotik View Post
This baby needed some work and by some I mean a lot....I mean letís just rebuild the whole car while we are at it.
Budget 1k.
$1,000? Thatís it? HEH good luck with that!
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 12:00   #5
RedKaotik
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Default Mpg

1,000!

It was actually enough. I had to skimp on some extras like a good radio but all mechanical parts are solid.

My MPG is 25 right now but not sure how accurate that is.
Since last fill I have fixed the IP timing and IQ. Then did the tank vent mod so we will see. I also wasnít exactly babying it.

0-60 10.4 sec
RedKaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 12:07   #6
RedKaotik
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
I saw temps on the stock turbo of my AHU of 1650*f, YIKES! And it got there in no time at all; the next step for me was the turbo at that point.
$1,000? Thatís it? HEH good luck with that!
That would be one way to blow your turbo seal, wait till you see the pics of my old turbo before I rebuilt it.
RedKaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 12:39   #7
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: NJ, U.S.A.
Default

25mpg seems a bit low even for an automatic, what sort of driving are you doing with it?
__________________
2002 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic
Baltic Green/Beige Leather
Rob Mayercik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 13:36   #8
RedKaotik
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Default

I attributed the bad mpg to having my IP timing retarded(didn’t have VCDS after TB change, fixed now)
And my IQ at 3.0.

I’m now right below the middle blue line and the software says perfect.
IQ at 4.8-5.0

My driving is 60 miles of stop and go freeway traffic during the day, work there and back.
A bunch of random freeway spurts at 70+

Also test driving where I was gunning the car with the gas pedal floored, that was at least 10 times before this fuel up.

Im hoping this next fillup will be more accurate since I finally was able to fill the diesel to the top of the tank port.
RedKaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 13:52   #9
RedKaotik
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Weird.

My IP timing went advanced after my hammer mod.
Within spec but still advanced
RedKaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 14:16   #10
RedKaotik
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
pd 150 intake, EGR delete

Did you have a MaF twist to rid the cel from the egr delete?
RedKaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 18:21   #11
RedKaotik
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Default

RedKaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 12:53   #12
Diesel-Dan1
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Murphy, TX
TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKaotik View Post
Hello all,
*TLDR
Car trashed, brought it back from the dead, Frank TDI shout out for the help.
Minor things left to fix, cant find door handles to replace with.
Question: I have 216 nozzles. is there a specific IQ i should be aiming for?
My IP is timed correctly. IQ was set to default and i hammered it to 5.0 to reduce my coal roll on my onramp takeoffs. I mean i like that people would stop tailgating me but at what cost.

I just recently purchased a dying 2002 Jetta 1.9 TDI that has 180k miles.
this little beast cost me about 400 dollars Plus reg and taxes etc 1k.
But I was hoping the issues would be minor and alas they were not.
This baby needed some work and by some I mean a lot....i mean lets just rebuild the whole car while we are at it.
Budget 1k.

I thank all of you for the amount of time you have spent typing out info guides answering newb questions and providing the incredible amount of details through the years about how to fix known issues and some quirky weird ones.
Here is a list of what I had to do.

1. Engine head failure. PSI 200, 200, 180, 0
2.Timing Belt failure.
3.Serpentine Belt failure(hit the timing belt and broke it)
4. EGR clogged.
5. turbo completely bust and oiled. surprised this thing isnt a runaway.
6. Turbo actuator bust, cant hold a vacuum.
7.injector 4 tip damaged.
8. Glow plugs stuck.
9.vacuum hoses rotted.
10. 4 way cooler tube cracked.
11. Pass engine mount 1 bolt stripped aluminium.
12. well you get the idea this thing needs some love, unfortunately I only had 4 weeks to do this so I had to make some calls and start ordering parts right away.

#1 mention, Frank's VW TDI was a big help, the guy is fantastic, knows his stuff and we were able to work together and come up with a plan on fixing my car.
I'd like to mention that my head was trashed, Maybe fixable if the budget wasn't tight but Frank worked with me and I bought a used head from ebay, sent it directly to him and the work done was phenomenal.
The thing looks brand new and the price was right.


I went slightly over budget to make sure mechanically everything is sound.
I'm not a mechanic, I am a engineer but I do believe with the right tools anything can be fixed.
Things left that i need to budget for....
my taxes... forgot about those.
Suspension, looks like its original 2002.
Tires, good thing I live in California and its 70's
Alignment.
Tail lights, I bought some cheapies but I think im going to go with hella.

If you made it through this post, then i thank you for the read.
Pics to follow soon.
Got a wrecked 02 sitting in the driveway less engine and some interior stuff. If you are looking for something let me know. It was a fnt ender. I took the engine and trans out. Used the trans for my 5 speed swap on my other car. Wasn't bad at all. Highly recommend.
__________________
WRECKED: 2002 Jetta TDi, 5 speed, 17" wheels, rebuilt head, VNT17, PP764's and Malone Stage 4

2002.5 Jetta TDi, 5 speed swap, unlocked ECM with small tune, Studs, Stage 2 cam. Slowing working stuff over from wrecked car.
Diesel-Dan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 12:59   #13
belome
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mid MI
Fuel Economy: 47'ish
Default

Wait until that horrible transmission takes its final breath of air and you pump another couple grand into it.
__________________
The only thing I can pass is a fuel stop, but I'm OK with that.
My claim to fame - I was banned from VWVortex!
belome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm bored with my 02 ALH Auto Bran Diezel TDI Power Enhancements 34 August 28th, 2014 13:44
FS: stock 02 ALH auto ECU all-starr-me Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted 0 September 12th, 2012 22:31
New Member, '02 ALH Jetta Auto, knock at idle? speedfreeq VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 0 September 14th, 2011 18:56
Low fuel economy w/ 02 Jetta ALH Auto jmb83 TDI Fuel Economy 16 December 7th, 2010 17:34
Happy w/02 TDI Jetta purchased from club member + questions b1gmoose VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 4 June 13th, 2006 07:20


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
© 1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.17681 seconds with 10 queries
[Output: 119.00 Kb. compressed to 100.92 Kb. by saving 18.08 Kb. (15.19%)]