www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 27th, 2018, 12:42   #1
ecorob

Default 2003 TDI repair rescue in Louisville, KY

Hi All.

My 2003 TDI Wagon was disabled (3 weeks ago) near Louisville while I was driving home to Richmond VA. The obvious problem was a failing timing belt tensioner. I shut the car down while it was still running normally with a loose belt. I had it towed to a Louisville repair shop (that I will not name just yet). The Shop supposedly did a complete timing belt kit install and now can not get the car running. I guess I picked the wrong shop. You know my frustration since I've done successful timing belt jobs on three generations of TDIs.

I'm coming back to Louisville (by Greyhound) this Friday, March 2nd to deal with this sad situation.

Can any of you local TDI Club folks refer me to the TDI Guru(s) in Louisville OR offer garage space, driveway, whatever and a hand to get me up and running (for fare compensation)? I'll have all my timing tools and VAGCOM with me.

Please PM me you can offer a repair location or tow dolly.

Any help is appreciated.
ecorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 12:52   #2
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Odds are you suffered head damage. Did the shop pull the valve cover and inspect the lifters? That would tell them if there was piston to valve contact. You probably need cylinder head repair or replacement.

There's a good guru in Versailles KY (about 60 miles from Louisville) but I don't know if he's accepting this kind of work.
Old February 27th, 2018, 15:02   #3
williambill

I wouldn't rule out head damage, as IBW stated above, but for what it's worth, I helped out a local TDI Cluber a few months back change his timing belt. Once we got into it, we found the TB was very loose. Don't know if the tensioner let out completely, but the belt had a lot of slack and had been running normally for and unknown amount of time. The cam was still in time with the crank, and the lifters were perfect. Maybe this was a one in a million situation, but I'm just saying there's hope... but verify!
-1984 Mazda B2200 2.2L NA Diesel
williambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 15:09   #4
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Well, Louisville is over 3.5 hours from my location. Maybe Paramedick (Bruce) in Lexington could give you a reference there in Louisville.
Old February 27th, 2018, 16:13   #5
bbexotics
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51mpgs in 96 passat,41mpg in 2004 passat,42mpg in 2006 jetta

Any kind of shop would turn the engine by crank twice to make sure timing is correct, no valves hitting pistons etc. more than likely ( hopefully) they don’t know hoe to bleed injection system in order to get car started.
bbexotics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 09:50   #6
ecorob

As I said, car was running normally at 70mph, happen to pull into rest area and heard noise at timing belt then shut car off and towed it to a shop in Louisville. So this engine should restart.

Anyone have a contacts for the Louisville local TDI clubers??

Will pay $100 for a tow to a place I can futs with my car for a day this Friday/Sat.

Thanks
ecorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 09:55   #7
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecorob View Post
As I said, car was running normally at 70mph, happen to pull into rest area and heard noise at timing belt then shut car off and towed it to a shop in Louisville. So this engine should restart.

Will pay $100 for a tow to a place I can futs with my car for a day this Friday/Sat.

Thanks

Do you have AAA? They will tow you. If you don't, it's worth having.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 10:41   #8
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecorob View Post

Thanks
That's kind of a tough ask.
Your diagnosis may be good, but maybe not. At this point it's hard to say if they botched the job or there is an additional issue or both.
2 biggest user groups are tdiclub.com and vwvortex.com, search those for local connections.
Google Custom Search
We have this list-
Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 10:57   #9
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
There's a good guru in Versailles KY (about 60 miles from Louisville) but I don't know if he's accepting this kind of work.
According to his thread, the shop is currently open.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=80
Old February 28th, 2018, 11:01   #10
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I know that. But I saw Bruce in October and he said he was limiting the kind of work he was taking on. The OP should call him, but I didn't want him to count on Bruce accepting the job. It's not uncommon for gurus to have cars just get dropped off at their shops.
Old February 28th, 2018, 11:19   #11
Prairie Chicken
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokila View Post
Do you have AAA? They will tow you. If you don't, it's worth having.
Ditto to that.... worth checking into as I don't recall if there was a down time from when you join and when you can make a service call. It'll pretty much pay for itself in one call. I have the "RV" package that includes a 200 mile tow for each member (which I've used twice).

I've got it for me and my boys and between turbo failure, oil feed line failure, gas in tank, hitting a raccoon the size of a bear (all in the last year) - it has more than paid for itself. Wait times vary greatly, but still worth the $$$.

good luck with the car
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 11:25   #12
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

If you can't make the needed connections, you may want to tow it back to Richmond yourself.
Seems drastic I know. Seems unusual that the shop that did the TB just left you hanging.
Basic AAA comes with like 10 mile free tow, longer if you pay more.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 12:05   #13
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Got truck that can tow it (e.g. Suburban, etc - really any sort of mid-sized truck/suv or larger can handle it as the car's not that heavy)?

Pay for the fuel and a one-way dolly run, get it home. That's how I'd handle it (and cover a friend's expenses if I didn't have the truck, but a friend did.)
Genesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 04:10   #14
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40's

I believe it is a 7 day waiting period
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken;5385741[B
]Ditto to that.... worth checking into as I don't recall if there was a down time from when you join and when you can make a service call.[/B] It'll pretty much pay for itself in one call. I have the "RV" package that includes a 200 mile tow for each member (which I've used twice).
I've got it for me and my boys and between turbo failure, oil feed line failure, gas in tank, hitting a raccoon the size of a bear (all in the last year) - it has more than paid for itself. Wait times vary greatly, but still worth the $$$.
good luck with the car
Old March 1st, 2018, 07:30   #15
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I know that. But I saw Bruce in October and he said he was limiting the kind of work he was taking on. The OP should call him, but I didn't want him to count on Bruce accepting the job. It's not uncommon for gurus to have cars just get dropped off at their shops.
Definitely agree with that. Definitely don't recommend just showing up with the car. A preliminary phone call or contact of some sort should always be made.