www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 26th, 2018, 14:41   #16
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

^^^^ oh boy......
Yourbuddysatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 14:43   #17
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

No not at all. They offer a service and have had many satisfied clients. I have no doubt that DBW knows his stuff and the right equipment to do the job properly.

What I despise are the scare tactics, either knowingly or unknowingly citing melted pistons and other world-ending calamity should one elect not to use their services.

When pressed, nobody, and I mean NOBODY has been able to cite even one documented case where a DIY nozzle install has melted pistons. Folks on this site installed their own nozzles with minimal issues for years until it was suddenly out of favor to do anything but use DBW.

There have been cases of one nozzle in a set of four not popping properly or showing a poor spray pattern. Even the most basic of spray pattern or group 13 balance #'s prior to or after install can prevent any damage. The DIY's like the one you posted even say as such.

Due diligence and disclosure on the risks of DIY nozzle install are fine. Scaring people with unsubstantiated fear-mongering (or fear-Monglering in your case) is BS IMHO.

/rant

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 14:58   #18
Caddy 16v
Veteran Member

Lol, when I did my nozzles back in the day (hflox warp 3) I even dropped one a couple times on a dirt floor and after 80.000km+ my engine hasn't grenaded! That's with a stage 5 custom tune and other bits and pieces.

If you want to spend the $$$ go right ahead but surely isn't needed.
2000 Jetta, mufflerectomy, Evolution Atlas skid plate, OEM xenon reps retrofitted, Hella Micro DE, HFLOX Warp 3 nozzles, 3 bar map, Malone Stage 5 Custom, Euro 17/22, DC Stage 4 clutch, STAGG suspension, Curt hitch, Auber EGT and NSP boost gauge, Hella Sharptones, Rally Armor mud flaps, 1.8T pancake pipe, upgraded SMIC, VAG-COM, all offroaded out
2000 Golf, JSP Armadillo skid plate, limo tint (Sold)
Caddy 16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 15:40   #19
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

wish i still had those pictures, HDD crapped out back in 2012, dont have them anymore, it was on a cummins though, not a TDI. To the point of things though, we all thing we know better than what millions of $ has been put in to R&D by car makers. Air filters, engine parts etc. i always say that if a major player in the performance world does it, then its ok to do to your car, but DIY home brew stuff is best left to safer areas of tinkering. I have no issue doing everything my self but when it comes to things like this, i would rather trust someone who has BIG bucks in equipment and expertise knowing way more than 90% of this entire forum put together, other than builders and vendors, in experience in fuel upgrades like nozzles and pop testing. With your argument, you might as well build your own car from scratch. As cited in MANY articles and blogs, improper spray pattern will damage the piston by removing the oil coating on the walls, dripping fuel causes melt downs, and there are plenty of cases where a bad injector has caused substantial damage and its usually due to a user error.

Im not causing a panic, nor am i fear-Monglering* lol > thats a good one, my sides*
Im clearly stating a point of advice i have had first hand experience with, all be it, it was not in a TDI, we learned a lot with that cummins, poor thing!

For OP's question i did state that it would probably be fine as its s light upgrade and as long as its done clean enough and with care, should be fine. IMHO its worth the $200~ for the calibration though with peace of mind and knowing that your not going to have any issues. That and a 1 micron cat filter! everyone says the same thing with the timing belt, its worth doing as the draw back of not doing the extra mile on that job is an engine failure causing major # in repairs. Same thing applies here, Save money on other things, not this.

Last edited by Mongler98; February 26th, 2018 at 15:43.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 17:56   #20
swetbak
Veteran Member

I think everyone understands and appreciates "best practice", but not everyone has the same risk tolerance. For me, $500 is a small price to pay for peace of mind.
However, I wouldn't have a TDI (or 335d for that matter if my brother didn't have one first. He put the cheapest nozzles he could find on his 01 Jetta (520's I think). I loved driving his little race car and get 50mpg to boot. No tune or deletes, just cheap nozzles. That's what got me into this game. Btw, he still has that car after 15yrs.
swetbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 18:27   #21
Mongler98
Veteran Member

does he have a EGT gauge? stock car with pp764's and i was seeing 1600 on the first few pulls even at 4.5 QA, the stock turbo cant usually handle the flow and causes higher than normal EGT's.
Old February 27th, 2018, 08:10   #22
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Like I said before, for me peace-of-mind is priceless. If my TDI were to die, "screwed" would be the most polite word I can use here. Again, $500.00 for nozzles done right is a lot cheaper than having to replace an entire motor.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 10:11   #23
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

If then OP is a risk taker he has a 50/50 shot! Roll the coal dice!!!!
Old February 27th, 2018, 10:36   #24
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourbuddysatin View Post
If then OP is a risk taker he has a 50/50 shot! Roll the coal dice!!!!
Coal dice* love it!
if you had a 50/50 shot at having your arm broken for some reason, would you take that risk? I would defiantly NOT.
Old February 27th, 2018, 10:56   #25
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Mongler98, that is one of the best uses of defiantly I have ever seen; that is a terrific double negative you made there. Unless you meant definitely, then never mind.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 11:17   #26
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
I should know, i have a set of pp.764 5hole nozzles in my AHU pop tested at stage 4 on an engine thats blasting out about 250~hp, Im dumping so much fuel into the engine that if its not warmed up to normal 170*F, it will hydro lock the bowl with fuel and do bad things.
So how do you warm the car up if you canít run it because itíll hydrolock the bowl (??) with fuel unless the engine is warmed up to 170į?

Sounds kinda fishy to me and smells even worse since PP764ís arenít that big.

To jmaitland806, there is no doubt the car will run better with professionally pop tested nozzles. I have 2 sets Iíve run and can tell the difference between them and the self-installed ones Windex set up. That being said, the ones he did are just fine 70k later with some hard pulls fully loaded. So is ok good enough or do you seek perfection. These cars arenít exactly cutting edge.

I bought a pop tester and own an ultrasonic, so I clean them occasionally and then check them with the pop tester for spray patterns and opening pressure. It hasnít been an issue yet. Itís crude by calibration standards but works. There is no changing the pop pressure since the shims are very hard to come by.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 12:31   #27
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
So how do you warm the car up if you canít run it because itíll hydrolock the bowl (??) with fuel unless the engine is warmed up to 170į?
Sounds kinda fishy to me and smells even worse since PP764ís arenít that big.
Only when at WOT. it runs great but if I put it down 100% it will sound like a backfire almost and run like piss until the fuel gets dumped out, the 1st time I freaked out and pulled all the glow plugs and cranked it over, I was messing with my water injection and thought it had dumped too much in. The 2nd time it happened, I figured it out, I was messing with it and decided to pull the head back off, no damage, only a bowl full of fuel about half way full. I specíd out the deck and head and piston protrusion height and it was the exact same before I did my head work and my new tune and was in spec for the engine.
Iím not going to try and keep replicating it to solve this, soon as itís warmed up, no issue. I am feeling Iím lucky and Iím not going to press it any more. Itís an autocross and track car now and never gets driven for much of any other reason other than meets and shows and what not.

My hunch is my timing needs to be retarded a bit more.
Old February 27th, 2018, 14:41   #28
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
Coal dice* love it!
if you had a 50/50 shot at having your arm broken for some reason, would you take that risk? I would defiantly NOT.
Hey I feel the same as you by far. I like my arms haha!