www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 25th, 2018, 17:21   #1
Firedog

Fuel Economy: 60+ mpg 4.3L/100 km
Exclamation OBD Codes rear window replaced

I had the front wind screen and rear window replaced. When I tried to start it , check engine light and Glow plug light came on. RPM wouldn’t go above 1500 OBD scanner gave the following codes.

P0401 EGR Insufficient flow 01025
P0638 throttle body accuator signal implausible 01592
P0229 boost pressure regulation control range not reached. 00665
Function limitation reached due to over voltage 00447

I don’t think the windows are related but this is what happened. The vehicle was in a warm environment for 3 days then put outside to the -17 C before I picked it up.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2018, 18:55   #2
RoseBud68
Veteran Member

Why where both windows replaced? was the car in a crash?
Old February 26th, 2018, 06:55   #3
mu3098
Veteran Member

I have a couple of ideas that I would check first.

1. I would fully charge the battery since it was probably run down with the windows being replaced. It was probably started several times to move the car and not run long enough to recharge the battery. I have read of several people getting fault codes and other problem due to a weak battery.

2. I would also check for the intercooler icing problem. Check the passenger side intercooler hose to see if it is blocked with ice restricting the amount of air the engine can get. This might be preventing you from being able to get the RPM over 1500 and cause some boost problems since the air can't get through that the engine needs.
Old February 26th, 2018, 07:48   #4
KLXD
Veteran Member

Good thought on the battery.

My first diagnostic step is to clear em and see if they repeat.

Current: ’02 Jetta, Auto; ’98 Jetta, 5 Spd; ’98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; ’84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): ’85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: ’85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; ’81 Rabbit, 1.6; ’80 Dasher, 1.5; ’79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 11:01   #5
Firedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseBud68 View Post
Why where both windows replaced? was the car in a crash?
No crash. Front window was rock chip damage. Rear was broken by accident when clearing the snow in the extreme cold
Old February 27th, 2018, 11:08   #6
Firedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu3098 View Post
I have a couple of ideas that I would check first.

1. I would fully charge the battery since it was probably run down with the windows being replaced. It was probably started several times to move the car and not run long enough to recharge the battery. I have read of several people getting fault codes and other problem due to a weak battery.

2. I would also check for the intercooler icing problem. Check the passenger side intercooler hose to see if it is blocked with ice restricting the amount of air the engine can get. This might be preventing you from being able to get the RPM over 1500 and cause some boost problems since the air can't get through that the engine needs.
I did run the vehicle until it reached operating temperature. It did allow for increased RPM but not enough. About 2k.
The inter cooler icing issue is worth a check. -17C / 1.5 F is the night temperature here so that could be causing an issue.

Last edited by Firedog; February 27th, 2018 at 11:16. Reason: Already stated item
Old February 27th, 2018, 11:13   #7
Firedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXD View Post
Good thought on the battery.

My first diagnostic step is to clear em and see if they repeat.
Codes have been cleared by my mechanic but it does keep coming back. His diagnosis is the throttle body but he is not an import mechanic so I am going to get a 2nd opinion from a mechanic recommended to me. Throttle body is $500 plus installation and ? programming ?
Thanks for the help from all
Old February 27th, 2018, 11:53   #8
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

I have had to remove and clean/lube my throttle body twice now. giving me all the same codes you have, but being caused by the P0638. not very hard to do and that would verify that the throttle body valve is causing your problems.

That valve is between the radiator and the engine. first unit on the 4" rubber hose coming up from the intercooler. The inside of my valve butterfly was coked up with carbon and would barely move until I sprayed some lube on it and worked it a few times by hand. That was almost a year ago I last did mine and its still fine.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2018, 16:56   #9
Firedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlagmech View Post
I have had to remove and clean/lube my throttle body twice now. giving me all the same codes you have, but being caused by the P0638. not very hard to do and that would verify that the throttle body valve is causing your problems.

That valve is between the radiator and the engine. first unit on the 4" rubber hose coming up from the intercooler. The inside of my valve butterfly was coked up with carbon and would barely move until I sprayed some lube on it and worked it a few times by hand. That was almost a year ago I last did mine and its still fine.
I will give the throttle body a good once over. Sounds like something I could do before having it towed to the dealership for an expensive repair. Thanks
Old March 11th, 2018, 21:17   #10
Firedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlagmech View Post

Problem Solved !!
Pulled the throttle body out and found it was seized ..... really bad.
Took the motor and gear assembly off, sprayed it with throttle body cleaner over and over. Made sure I only worked the gear, not the valve for fear of damage. Actually had to hold it in a vice and using pliers with 2 hands worked it loose.
Cleaned it all up and reassembled it to find it worked great. Check engine light was still on but it has since gone off. No hesitation or rough idle at all.
Took me about 4 hours and cost me $10 for the cleaner.
Thanks to jetlagmech and others for the help.