www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 24th, 2018, 11:38   #1
Raezo

TDI(s): None yet
Default Safe to buy a TDI?

Hello all,

New forum member here, have lurked for a few years now when considering a TDI for my daily driver. I'm finally in the position to get one and I'm considering one of these buybacks from VW America.

Two that I'm currently looking at are in different states than I live (I'm near Cleveland , OH) just because there aren't many manual transmissions for sell. One is a 2012 with 66k miles and one is a 2014 with 80k miles. Both are pretty much loaded with leather, fender sound and such. The first question is how do I consider a fair price for one of these? Are the NADA/KBB values accurate with the buyback and all?

Second question is with the extended warranty. I drive around 28k miles a year. What if I were to go outside of the extended warranty before all the stages of the fix are complete (I assume the EPA will have a timeline for this but when I spoke to a dealer, they said that the warranty is from the original purchase date of the vehicle)? Also, is there an extended warranty worth looking at for general coverage?

Thirdly, are there any other concerns or considerations I should have when moving into a vehicle like this?

Thank you for any advice and I hope to be a member of the club real soon.

Ryan
Raezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2018, 13:04   #2
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Sounds like the dealer you talked to was clueless. Fixed TDIs have an 11 year/162K mile warranty or a 4 year/48K mile warranty, whichever is greater, on the emissions system, which also includes the turbo and most of the fuel system. And CPO VWs from dealers also have a 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty. Check on that one, as I don't think it applies to all vehicles.

Bought back TDIs are totally safe for purchase. However, I wouldn't buy one sight unseen, since you'll want to check for evidence of poor treatment by the previous owner or damage suffered during storage. Previously unsold 2015 cars got new batteries, brakes, wipers, and tires (some at the dealer's option) before sale, so check these items on the bought back car. If it sat for more than six months it'll probably need a battery and perhaps brakes, at a minimum.

Otherwise these are great cars and could be our last chance to get a new(ish) TDI. My vote is to hold out for a manual. They're rare, but they'll hold their value better and are a better drive, IMHO.
Old February 24th, 2018, 13:09   #3
Motodude
Veteran Member

If my buybacks are being sold, I feel sorry for whoever gets it. When I found out, I didnt even change the oil for 45,000 miles if thats gives you any idea. And I drove it like i was qualfying for the indy 500.
Motodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2018, 14:33   #4
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I don't know about clueless. The 11 year/162k warranty is from the original in service date. The 4 year/48k mile is from the part two fix date which ever is greater. You would have at least 3 years warranty on the 11 year at your stated mileage and if you got the part two fix done as late as possible another four years after that. Your strategy should be to use as much of the 11 year/162k as possible and then get part two done and get another 4 years/48k miles. Other extended warranties are generally just money makers for the companies/people that sell them.
Old February 24th, 2018, 17:10   #5
Raezo

So far, the sales manager for the 2014 with 80k miles in GA emailed me back and said they did front and rear pads and rotors. Both of these cars are listed at almost 14k
Old February 25th, 2018, 11:22   #6
Raezo

Another question if anyone can. A 2015 tdi was traded in at a local Toyota dealer. Says it was modified on July 6, 2017. Miles are still close to the mileage listed on vwdiesellookup. Also says partial for modification completed. I don't see why it would make a difference from one that was bought back but should I stray from one the owner kept and initiated the fix?
Old February 25th, 2018, 15:54   #7
JCG57

TDI(s): '09 Jetta

I have thought about buying a 2015 Passat TDI later this year when I deliver my 2014 Jetta TDI to VW for the buyback, but just don't see the diesel value proposition anymore so will move on to something newer. If you do buy a used TDI you should make sure you see the service records because a lot of angry (or frugal) former TDI owners rode 'em hard and put 'em up wet, so to speak.
JCG57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2018, 16:02   #8
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Doesn't matter if the fix was done when the car was owned by VW (or a dealer) or an individual. Same tasks were performed regardless.
Old February 25th, 2018, 16:53   #9
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

It can matter if you are looking to get the second part payment.
Old February 25th, 2018, 18:53   #10
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raezo View Post
Another question if anyone can. A 2015 tdi was traded in at a local Toyota dealer. Says it was modified on July 6, 2017. Miles are still close to the mileage listed on vwdiesellookup. Also says partial for modification completed. I don't see why it would make a difference from one that was bought back but should I stray from one the owner kept and initiated the fix?
This one is likely eligible for you to claim the payment after the 2nd phase of the fix. Bought back TDIs are coming up ineligible so weigh that extra $2K into your purchase decision.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2018, 19:37   #11
tadawson
Veteran Member

That, and if the guy kept and fixed it, it would tend to make me think it was less likely to have been abused, based on some of the buyback car stories that have been posted.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 07:07   #12
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
This one is likely eligible for you to claim the payment after the 2nd phase of the fix. Bought back TDIs are coming up ineligible so weigh that extra $2K into your purchase decision.
Key word here is "likely". Not sure how you'd verify eligibility prior to purchase.
Old February 26th, 2018, 10:35   #13
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Key word here is "likely". Not sure how you'd verify eligibility prior to purchase.
So far, based on the reports, buyback cars show eligible on the portal but VW deems them ineligible. I'm not sure if we've seen anyone report eligibility or ineligibility for 2nd hand purchases, but they should be good to go based on what we know (or think we know ). There isn't any way to verify eligibility pre-purchase, though, just basing my opinion on patterns.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 10:40   #14
makattack
Veteran Member

FWIW, I have a 2015 GSW S/6MT lease that's coming up for termination. I'm thinking of actually buying it outright because the residual on it was lower than current retail estimates for it...
Old February 26th, 2018, 11:36   #15
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Good luck with that as others are already posting issues with trying to do that themselves.