www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old March 3rd, 2018, 22:47   #16
vdubwannab
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf
Fuel Economy: 42-46 MPG

I'll be curious to hear how the ALH handles the weight of a JKU. I always assumed it was too much dead weight to be efficient. I was looking at the Cummins R2.8 but even that has pretty low power levels compared to a modified ALH. (Plus it costs $$$$$).

Cool build! You're making great progress already. Good luck!
vdubwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2018, 06:30   #17
bwk9087
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 1.9 ALH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubwannab View Post
I'll be curious to hear how the ALH handles the weight of a JKU. I always assumed it was too much dead weight to be efficient. I was looking at the Cummins R2.8 but even that has pretty low power levels compared to a modified ALH. (Plus it costs $$$$$).
Cool build! You're making great progress already. Good luck!
I am hoping it will do better than the stock motor. That thing was a dog, that sounds like it is going to blow up over 4000 rpm. Peak hp is at 5200rpm, I think, and I never took it that high. Hopefully the Lower rpm range of this motor should be good. That cummins would be a good motor. I should have a little more power than that, too!
bwk9087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 04:20   #18
bwk9087
Veteran Member

Default coolant fishbowl

Do I need to use the stock vw coolant fishbowl? I am not finding definitve answers on that.
Old March 5th, 2018, 05:45   #19
samuraitd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwk9087 View Post
Do I need to use the stock vw coolant fishbowl? I am not finding definitve answers on that.
Depending how you have your cooling system setup, whether you have a radiator with a cap or not, and whether the top of the radiator is higher than the head. The good thing about the fish bowl, is you can mount it near the firewall, and you will want it as your highest point, to try and catch any air bubbles from the system. Technically, you could still use it with a capped radiator, but there isn't much sense in that.
Old March 5th, 2018, 07:18   #20
bwk9087
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraitd View Post
Depending how you have your cooling system setup, whether you have a radiator with a cap or not, and whether the top of the radiator is higher than the head. The good thing about the fish bowl, is you can mount it near the firewall, and you will want it as your highest point, to try and catch any air bubbles from the system. Technically, you could still use it with a capped radiator, but there isn't much sense in that.
Ok, I have a capped radiator, and am fairly certain that the top of the radiator will be higher than the head, so I will hold off on that for now, until I get radiator back in to check height. thanks
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:30   #21
samuraitd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwk9087 View Post
Ok, I have a capped radiator, and am fairly certain that the top of the radiator will be higher than the head, so I will hold off on that for now, until I get radiator back in to check height. thanks
I mean, theoretically, the radiator can be lower than the head, you just want to make sure you don't get any air bubbles trapped in the head.
Old March 5th, 2018, 13:39   #22
bwk9087
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraitd View Post
I mean, theoretically, the radiator can be lower than the head, you just want to make sure you don't get any air bubbles trapped in the head.
alright, got it. thanks.
Old March 5th, 2018, 17:12   #23
evguy1

Cool build, I'm not sure how I did not see this before.
I did have DIY motor mounts for the JKU that are not on the website.
We love ours but I think the 50lb Centerforce flywheel has a lot to do with that. With the heavy flywheel, larger turbo and a good tune it should work well.
Ours is a stock BEW and stage 1.5 Malone Tune, its a good around town vehicle for our daughter but definitely not a powerhouse.
I put 33" tires on it and a leveling kit. Why do you need a workaround for the flywheel sensor? The stock one should work?
evguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 01:49   #24
bwk9087
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evguy1 View Post
Cool build, I'm not sure how I did not see this before.
I did have DIY motor mounts for the JKU that are not on the website.
We love ours but I think the 50lb Centerforce flywheel has a lot to do with that. With the heavy flywheel, larger turbo and a good tune it should work well.
Ours is a stock BEW and stage 1.5 Malone Tune, its a good around town vehicle for our daughter but definitely not a powerhouse.
I put 33" tires on it and a leveling kit. Why do you need a workaround for the flywheel sensor? The stock one should work?
Hey, two reasons for the crank sensor. Hpa put the starter where that switch used to be and the starter nose hits the tone ring if it is on there. While I have you, what did you end up doing to your fuel filler hose to get more than 71 cents in fuel, I think you said? Did you get your tach working, you should be half there with a functional crank sensor. Get your stuff up on your website! I would have just bought from you!
Old March 7th, 2018, 20:45   #25
evguy1

I replumbed the fill system with 1 1/2" all the way from the filler to the tank and then cut a 3/4" vent fitting into the back of the tank at the top.
I tried to use existing fittings but had no luck getting it to vent with any of them. I replaced the in tank fuel pump with a piece of hose and then added a small diesel rated 5-7psi fuel pump inline. This is my daughters Jeep and she drives it every day so getting it back to finish the tach wiring is a challenge and she has figured out how to shift by the feel of the torque.
Yes I need to get the website updated.
Feel free to ask any questions about my swap and I will see if I can remember what I did.
Old March 7th, 2018, 20:51   #26
evguy1

I found the late model JKU airbox has a better outlet angle for the turbo inlet and they are cheap when guys change to CAI. The stock airbox should flow lots for the TDI.
Old March 8th, 2018, 04:25   #27
bwk9087
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evguy1 View Post
I found the late model JKU airbox has a better outlet angle for the turbo inlet and they are cheap when guys change to CAI. The stock airbox should flow lots for the TDI.
I had planned on using the stock airbox, also, and after seeing how yours looks, I made the right decision. I also purchased a front mount intercooler like you did, sized from the supercharger builds that are out there.
Old March 8th, 2018, 04:35   #28
bwk9087
Veteran Member

got a few things done. Got fuel filter mounted and lines plumbed from injection pump back to tank, using stock line, and vapor line for return. Made power steering hose, using aeroquip hi pressure hose, and an fittings, I should have taken a better picture of filter, it is below brake cylinder, attached to frame, and I can still get it out to change it from topside.
Old March 12th, 2018, 17:32   #29
bwk9087
Veteran Member

slow going lately, waiting on supplies, did get a few things done. Got the jeep cam sensor mounted. I did buy a Dakota digital box DSL-1E for the crank sensor, as Motohead1 suggested, in case I decide against my front mounted one, or need to adjust it, or it just don't work.

Got gas tank rollover vent installed, still waiting on fuel filler line, as EVGuy suggested. I kept in tank pump, and removed filter, and placed tee, with check valve in between pressure, and return, to use it as a lift pump.

Got to work on my guage mount for inside of jeep.
Old March 12th, 2018, 21:21   #30
evguy1

I also knocked the big check ball out of the tank inlet. It may not have been one of my problems but anything that will restrict the diesel and cause it to foam is bad.
I think in the end the 1 1/2" fill and new vent were the solution.
I like your vent fitting, what is it?