www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 26th, 2018, 06:28   #16
dunerking
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Jetta TDI

Oilhammer,thanks for the info!! It's much appreciated! Do u have any other suggestions while I'm getting into this project? Thanks again.
04 Jetta-5 speed
dunerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 06:38   #17
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You may want to clean up the intake manifold. You do not *have* to take it off to replace the turbocharger, but it is easy and makes it much easier to get at things. And that one you can take apart, as it has the split port runner control flaps inside it.

There is a VERY specific way the EGR cooler needs to be mounted, and all the fasteners and brackets need to be in place. Otherwise, stuff will break.

The short version is make sure the EGR pipes, both upper and lower, are secured first, while the EGR cooler to intake manifold fasteners are left slightly loose. In this way, the cooler is at a neutral point when it is tightened down. Otehrwise, it can be in a bind, and the EGR pipe will break, and in some cases one of the three tabs on the cooler itself will break.

I'd also look closely at the coolant vent hose assembly that goes to the EGR cooler changeover flap, as that hose gets swelled up and fails under the tandem pump if there is any leaks there.
Old February 26th, 2018, 08:25   #18
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I am all for using IDParts, I do use them myself on occasion. You might want to check out Dutch Auto Parts for a replacement turbo as well: see post #3
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434593
You may want to get a SS flexible oil feed line while you are purchasing your turbo; they simplify life a lot and are available on ebay for $25.00. I have had one for years and there are no issues with it.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 09:34   #19
dunerking
Veteran Member

Oilhammer and Nevada thanks for helpful advice and suggestions! Keep them coming as it's being fixed I'd like the knock out any preventive maintenance that makes sense.
04 Jetta-5 speed
Old February 28th, 2018, 11:15   #20
dunerking
Veteran Member

So I'm on the fence as to wether I upgrade to the VNT 17 or stick with the stock KP39. After researching here and online the VNT 17 sounds like a more durable unit,which is very appealing but also seems like I need to add additional upgrades like injectors,tuning and probably upgraded clutch to see the full potential of the VNT 17. I'm so turned off by these cost as I'm more concerned about being able to smog it while living here in California. But the added performance and possibly being a more durable turbo are pluses.
But by replacing with stock KP39 turbo and maybe a simple tune would keep repair cost down and keep it easy for me to pass smog. Looking for opinions and suggestions. Thanks
04 Jetta-5 speed
Old February 28th, 2018, 11:19   #21
oilhammer

You can run the VNT17 on there with the stock software, and it will run just fine. I do a Basic Settings VNT control to let the ECU learn the new vane sensor, but otherwise it will work just fine.

You can get OBD/CARB compliant software tunes that should work just fine with nothing else changed at all if you like, and the car will run fantastic, and you can retain the EGR and associated bits so the CARB inspectors will be happy.

The BEW, like all PDs, has a reasonable amount of fueling capacity in reserve anyway, so unless you are really wanting to double your output, injectors are not necessary. I have folks do Rocketchip Stage 1 tunes on otherwise stock BEWs all the time and they run great and pass our OBD test no problem.
Old February 28th, 2018, 12:17   #22
oilhammer

Um.....
Old February 28th, 2018, 15:51   #23
dunerking
Veteran Member

Thanks Oilhammer! So would it be wiser for me to go the route of the VNT 17? I'm hoping as a end result to have a reliable,enjoyable,and easy to maintain commuter....which it has been for most of part of my ownership.
I've considered moving on from this Gen IV and get into Gen V,but I've rebuilt most of the suspension(Audi TT CA bushings,OEM tie-rod ends and BJ's,Koni shocks,OEM brake pads and rotors,etc)so with starting over in a Gen V would me starting all over.
As usual your information is appreciated! Thank u...Josh
04 Jetta-5 speed
Old March 1st, 2018, 04:30   #24
oilhammer

I would always recommend the Garrett VNT17 for replacing the turbo on the BEW. Even if you were otherwise not ever going to do anything else to it, I'd still go that route.
Old March 1st, 2018, 05:59   #25
dunerking
Veteran Member

Thanks Oilhammer! May I ask why u lean towards the VNT 17? I'm liking the benefits of the VNT 17 as well.
04 Jetta-5 speed
Old March 1st, 2018, 06:26   #26
oilhammer

Because Garrett makes a better variable geometry turbocharger than Borg Warner does.

This is why the two TDIs that were sold here from the factory with them, the ALH and BHW, rarely have turbocharger failures... or at least, not within any normal period of driving.
Old March 1st, 2018, 06:33   #27
dunerking
Veteran Member

Thanks again! Great information to know! And helps making the decision to go with the VNT 17 that much easier!
04 Jetta-5 speed
Old March 7th, 2018, 19:50   #28
jsrmonster
Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast

I remember talking the the tech's at Garrett and Borg Warner booths at a sema show on year.

I told the Garrett guys their turbo gives better fuel economy and more power than their competitor. They claimed, yes they last longer, and I aggreed.

Then I walked across the isle to the BW table, and told the tech, their turbo had much better failure mode than their competitor. He asked what I meant, and I explained that when the garrett blows, it usually breaks the shaft and floods the intercooler with oil and shrapnel. He looked at me and said, yes ours are better engineered. And I carefully answered, that the BW turbos have stronger shaft in the center and usually just shear off wheels on either side of the captive axle and don't leak the oil. He agreed, then I explained this was observed from the large pile of blown BW turbos, I have in the scrap pile. He didn't ask what I replaced them with, but I always replace the BW with Garrett. ;-))
15 Golf SW DSG, 00Jetta 6spd race, 99.5Jetta Rocket ARL-PD150 6spd 2260, 2003.5 5.9L Cummins QCLB 4x4 Blue Monster, 00Passat1.8T, other tdi's: 97J, 98J, 99.5J2x, 00-C5 6spd - EFILive, HPTuner, Diablo Sport!
Never argue with an idiot.They will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
The beatings will continue until the morale improves!
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement !
"DIESEL TUNING PROFESSIONAL" 1-5-3-6-2-4=;-)

jsrmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 03:30   #29
oilhammer

Those clowns rarely know the whole story, or at least, will never let on that they do. The guy at the Aisin booth had no idea their autoboxes eat valve bodies. No clue. Yet it is one of the most commonly found problem in the last decade on their transmissions. Some dealers even stock several of them on the shelf.
Old March 11th, 2018, 10:03   #30
dunerking
Veteran Member

Had a question about intercoolers? When digging into my issues I noticed one of the plastic mounting tabs is cracked. I assume it's been like this since buying the car in 08. I was considering buying a new IC for a couple of reasons,contamination,broken and upgrading to better match the VNT 17 turbo. I saw fixmyVW sales a SMIC as well as Eurojet...I'm sure that there is others as well. Looking for Pro's/Con's and any suggestions for IC's.
Also considering getting new injectors to take advantage of the VNT 17 turbo as well. Any suggestions on who to buy from and type of injectors would be great. Thanks
04 Jetta-5 speed