www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 19th, 2018, 17:26   #1
hwork1

TDI(s): 2002 TDI Bug
Default EGR Delete

If I am doing this properly I need to introduce myself first being new to the forum. I am currently a diesel fan, however it has mostly been Powerstroke when it comes to mods (more than willing to help with those . I currently have a 2013 Touareg TDi with 55,000 miles on it and just recently had the emission recall complete. Not happy with the outcome I have decided to make this car an “off-road” compliant car. The Raw tech went smooth and the Malone stage II went easy. However the block off plates I purchased for the EGR were for the “hot” side of the system. I was unable to get the bolts off the plate without risking breaking the turbo bolts. I went ahead and custom made a plate for the “cold” side. Does anyone see any issues with this? In pickup world, I have read about guys doing this with no issues.
I understand I am new to the forum, however to pay it forward I will upload vids and MPG numbers as well as PM anyone who is interested in building a off road’er.
Thanks in advance.
hwork1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 18:41   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

as long as its blocked off, it will work, get some acetone and AFT 1:1 ratio, soak the bolts over night with a healthy dose, hit it with some heat and send an impact to it if you can. or hit the wrench with a hammer, works like a charm 1:1 ATF and acetone is a god send. I would get the hot side blocked off if you can!
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 01:43   #3
1.4TDI PD

it"s true 1:1 ATF and Acetone does work very well i had a couple of bolts seized and the only way i got them out was with this mix of atf and acetone so you should really try this first and if it doesn"t work then you can block off the cold side.
1.4TDI PD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 07:45   #4
hwork1

Thanks. I will try and get it off there. Going to drive it a little more. Have both sets of plates.
Old February 20th, 2018, 19:50   #5
hwork1

Got it out today and first indications are more power. Not as much as 3/4 tonn diesel pickups when they get deleted however it is more than stock and much more than post emissions mod. I am working to get on dyno soon, will update when have solid numbers. Will reset fuel mileage after next fill up and get true hand calculations. At WOT she will puff a little coal .

Most impressive aspect of the delete is the quality of the emissions equipment. Stainless all the way.
Old February 21st, 2018, 20:58   #6
Burnt

TDI(s): A7

Did you also have to do a DPF removal with EGR delete? I heard those DPFs get clogged wayyy faster.

I'm interested to see your numbers. I have an Audi A7 that is going to get fixed soon, looking for options to bring it back after I get paid. Thinking Malone stage 2 with EGR delete, DPF delete and larger down pipes. Going to have to find an A7 TDI downpipe though
Burnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 19:07   #7
hwork1

I did do the DPF / EGR delete.

First impressions are this baby is a rocket....

Has a low grunt sound over 2000 RPM.

Fuel mileage is up a solid 4.2 MPG hand Calc over original VW program. After the new and improved emissions upgrade I am 6.5 MPG better. Overall once I quit doing boost launches and rolling coal, I think I will land about 5 MPG overall better than original VW programming.

No CEL’s and seems to be running well. Warm ups definitely take a lot longer, will remind you of old school diesel. Happy with the tune as I plan to keep this car for the long haul. Will be doing oil analysis after next change. Assuming it will be clean after third round like the pickups I have deleted.

Cheers and happy “off roading”
Old March 2nd, 2018, 18:49   #8
Savageman69
Veteran Member

got any links and pictures of egr stuff
2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2018, 19:33   #9
travis45
Veteran Member

Nice!
14 Sportwagen GTB2260vklr Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone custom tune, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar, PolarFIS, Darkside intercooler and piping, Wavetrac LSD. Soon to install Colt billet stage 3 cams w/upgraded springs, ARP Headstuds.
travis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 11:49   #10
Yamajet

Are the egr block plates necessary? I thought it was tuned out and closed by the tune?
Yamajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2018, 07:53   #11
GearGuy2014

On the engine side you have to close off the exhaust port (on the header) and on the intake side you are blocking off where the EGR connects back to the intake. So yes you do need the block off plates.
Malone Stage 3 Tune w/ DSG Tune
GearGuy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2018, 09:27   #12
BoilerBrad

Following. I ordered the Rawtek pipes which should arrive on Tuesday. Did you have any problems getting the old pipes off? I'll have to keep the acetone mix in mind.

How involved is the egr delete? I have been asking around if a local shop will install this stuff for me since i don't have a lift or impact or anything like that. I have yet to find one that will do it. (Indianapolis)