www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 19th, 2018, 14:31   #1
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

Default just another FMIC question

I searched both the site and google and I can't find the answer although I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse. I need new intercooler piping so I figure replace the whole thing.

Any links to a good kit that leaves the crash bar fully intact?

If not I found the same SMIC darkside uses on ebay, but the piping (separate seller) is priced out of this world.

BTW I'm in Canada, so unless shipping is reasonable all the ebay.com ads require ludicrous amounts for shipping. I'm running a GTB2260 so I need it to handle a bit of boost.
Old February 19th, 2018, 15:08   #2
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

You can use the eBay front mount kit and get a euro front crash bar. The euro crash bar is hollow and you can route the upper piping right thru it. If you would buy the dark side front mount kit they will tell you to change to the euro crash bar. A friend of mine uses the eBay front mount on his gtb set up and it works fine.
Yourbuddysatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 15:14   #3
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

I got a 27x7x2 FMIC in front of the AC with out doing more than a tiny trim on the front rebar on my MK3, i had to scoot the radiator back 1 inch and cut and weld the tabs on the AC back .25" and i just had to trim a tiny bit, check out my gt2052 build. i know its for your 04 sport but maybe you can get creative like i did.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 16:33   #4
Geobmx4life
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2005Golf TDI 50mpg...best 60

This is what I ordered....

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-27-X7-X2...lacrNd&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-5-Aluminum...5aWCcG&vxp=mtr
2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, .658 5th gear, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, FK coils, 18in Serrons. Frostheater
Geobmx4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 16:54   #5
tjpeterson96

TDI(s): 04 bew jetta

Darkside pd130 fmic kit it what I got. For extra 50 GBP they will send you the euro crash bar to make it full plug and play with stock BEW and vnt17. Requires very little trimming. I have pics of the install if you want a general idea. Edit: re-read and saw you are running gtb turbo. They have options for gtb turbo on when ordering I believe.

Last edited by tjpeterson96; February 19th, 2018 at 17:02.
tjpeterson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 17:09   #6
Mongler98
Veteran Member

MAKE sure you run a towel with some parts clean though them with a string, you will get LOADS of aluminum shavings out of them from the bending machine.
Old February 21st, 2018, 15:12   #7
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

Crazy! Thanks for the replies.

I was going to get the darkside kit before but its about $1000 plus shipping. Seeing as they use ebay ic's I just cant pay the extra. Can get the kit geobmx posted for $200. Id need a different manifold to run the opposite side but thats ok too.

I've been really busy but sure I will have more questions.

Last edited by WrEkkED; February 21st, 2018 at 15:18.
WrEkkED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 21:30   #8
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 300hp

That fmic will work nice. Just buy some straight alu pipe and use silicone elbows where you need and you are done for under 200$ .

1000 for a fmic and piping? jeez
Old February 22nd, 2018, 05:48   #9
Mongler98
Veteran Member

i did mine for about $80 in parts total, i waited till one was marked on clearance, used my eBay bucks and a black Friday 10% off any eBay purchase. well over $200 in parts, about $250, i had a lot of eBay bucks
Old February 22nd, 2018, 08:31   #10
raffshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrEkkED View Post
I searched both the site and google and I can't find the answer although I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse. I need new intercooler piping so I figure replace the whole thing.
Any links to a good kit that leaves the crash bar fully intact?
If not I found the same SMIC darkside uses on ebay, but the piping (separate seller) is priced out of this world.
BTW I'm in Canada, so unless shipping is reasonable all the ebay.com ads require ludicrous amounts for shipping. I'm running a GTB2260 so I need it to handle a bit of boost.

Check out wagner, not cheap but the best
raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 19:16   #11
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrEkkED View Post
stock piping flows a lot more than your turbo
you can get a 1.8 pancake pipe, but honestly even that's really overkill for anything under a 50mm inducer
Larger intercooler can get you gains if you live where the stock one heatsoaks, piping will get you nothing.

Pressure side can be absolutely tiny, all under 2", as these tiny VNT turbos spool so quick off idle that you don't need atmospheric flow like you do with a larger wastegated turbo where the engine's breathing on its own until the turbo wakes up.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 13:04   #12
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

It might be wise to just upgrade to the darkside side mount kit or at least the inter cooler. You can create turbo lag with all the front mount piping and larger inter cooler. Unless you are running a large enough turbo such as a gtb or along those lines.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 16:47   #13
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

I am running a gtb2260. My side mount gets heatsoaked very quickly and I also blew the sides out of my original one. I happened to have another to throw in for the time being
I was considering a smic, but all the discussions seem to be dont waste the money and go front mount.

I have been doing a fair amount of towing as well.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 16:54   #14
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

Put it this way, I plan to tune it to ~220hp and call it quits. I'm really easy on the car for the most part, but one run from 30-70 and I'm done for.

Go fm, or sm? I honestly would prefer not to throw on a fm because we have to pass emissions and I feel like a fm will make the inspector look further and see the tubular manifold with no egr attached.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 17:52   #15
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

Well Id say with that power outlook and having a 2260 go front mount. If you do it right the whole thing will be hidden behind the bumper cover. I debated doing front mount myself but I only have a vnt17 so I just did the darkside upgraded side mount kit. Like I said above though using a euro crash bar with either the eBay front mount or darkside front mount kit. It will stay hidden behind your cover. Good luck whatever way you decide!!