www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 18th, 2018, 12:12   #1
Inhabor

Default 1971 vw bus tdi conversion

Hi guys. It took me a while but I finally found the correct forum. I'm in the process of installing a 1.9 ALH in my 1971 vw bus. Does anybody here done this before? Is there any tdi gurus in Florida? This is a new field for me and I would like to learn as much as I can about tdi. I kind of need help with the wire harness now. I'm still wating on my transmission to be built but I would like to have the harness ready for when the tranny gets here. Also, how do I post pictures here? The donor car is a 2002 jetta.

Last edited by Inhabor; February 20th, 2018 at 16:23.
Inhabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 05:54   #2
vwztips
Veteran Member

Hey is this a TDI from 2000: A Space Odyssey? Haha, I assume it is an ALH instead of a HAL. If you are new to this and needing direction or a ready to use harness, reach out to Hasenwerk on this site. He knows harnesses inside and out and can build you one.

Last edited by vwztips; February 19th, 2018 at 06:15.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 15:20   #3
Inhabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwztips View Post
Hey is this a TDI from 2000: A Space Odyssey? Haha, I assume it is an ALH instead of a HAL. If you are new to this and needing direction or a ready to use harness, reach out to Hasenwerk on this site. He knows harnesses inside and out and can build you one.
Thanks,l think I have dyslexia. Lol
Old February 19th, 2018, 16:48   #4
markd89
Veteran Member

My thread (linked below) has lots of info. Unfortunately the pictures are broken. There is also another thread on thesamba.com of someone else who has done a bus.

Biggest question is the transaxle. This is a big cost and something to decide on properly the first time. I have a regeared 091 and a Kennedy plate. A better way IMO is an upside down longitudinal TDI transaxle. There was also a guy who installed a the stock TDI trans and engine by welding it all into his bus, mid-engine. This turned out surprisingly well.

If you go 091, figure out how to not have the head water outlet smack into your fuel tank. Options other have done include changing the fuel tank shape or making a custom flange.

For intercooler: After trying almost everything, I went dual Air-to-water. This works. A better solution is a huge under-bus air-to-air intercooler. That has been done with success in a Vanagon. All of the other ideas I have seen, which mostly involve an A2A intercooler in the engine way, with and without fans, with and without ducts had disappointing results.

Other general advice: Read a lot of other projects. Look for people who have done ANY watercooled engine into a baywindow for general info on cooling, etc. as it applies to your scenario. Look at the Vanagon TDI group on yahoo for TDI into VW Van info. This stuff applies to your scenario too, minus the cooling.

Good luck and post lots of pictures!
Mark
Old February 19th, 2018, 19:27   #5
Inhabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd89 View Post
My thread (linked below) has lots of info. Unfortunately the pictures are broken. There is also another thread on thesamba.com of someone else who has done a bus.

Biggest question is the transaxle. This is a big cost and something to decide on properly the first time. I have a regeared 091 and a Kennedy plate. A better way IMO is an upside down longitudinal TDI transaxle. There was also a guy who installed a the stock TDI trans and engine by welding it all into his bus, mid-engine. This turned out surprisingly well.

If you go 091, figure out how to not have the head water outlet smack into your fuel tank. Options other have done include changing the fuel tank shape or making a custom flange.

For intercooler: After trying almost everything, I went dual Air-to-water. This works. A better solution is a huge under-bus air-to-air intercooler. That has been done with success in a Vanagon. All of the other ideas I have seen, which mostly involve an A2A intercooler in the engine way, with and without fans, with and without ducts had disappointing results.

Other general advice: Read a lot of other projects. Look for people who have done ANY watercooled engine into a baywindow for general info on cooling, etc. as it applies to your scenario. Look at the Vanagon TDI group on yahoo for TDI into VW Van info. This stuff applies to your scenario too, minus the cooling.

Good luck and post lots of pictures!
Mark

I have been doing research and reading everyting I find for a year now. The radiator is alredy installed under the bus. The new 002 LST and proper gears for the tdi should be done next week. It is expensive $3400. I want to do it wright the first time. Thanks for your hep.

Last edited by Inhabor; February 20th, 2018 at 16:24.
Old February 20th, 2018, 03:38   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Cool project, post some pics!

Yeah you will for sure not want the stock gearing from a 1600 Bus. The ALH in stock form is literally about twice the HP, and I would bet thrice the TQ.

I had a '71 Westy, drove it all over the place. Great vehicle. Stuck to 65 MPH, never any faster, and it did that OK. Was reliable and had a lot of fun in it! It had about the same get up and go as my diesel Vanagon... so, not much. A TDI would be an excellent upgrade!
Old February 20th, 2018, 06:49   #7
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwztips View Post
it's from a 2001
Old February 22nd, 2018, 19:50   #8
leecat

Hi Inhabor; I'm as far away from Florida as you can get, but I installed a 1.9 AHU into my 1969 Westfalia and love it. My swap was different in that I used the Jetta 1.9 manual transaxle as well as the engine, so might not be the same thing as you're considering - sounds like you are using a stock-ish transmission. Feel free to drop me a line if you'd like and I would sure try to help in any way!
leecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 04:42   #9
Inhabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecat View Post
Hi Inhabor; I'm as far away from Florida as you can get, but I installed a 1.9 AHU into my 1969 Westfalia and love it. My swap was different in that I used the Jetta 1.9 manual transaxle as well as the engine, so might not be the same thing as you're considering - sounds like you are using a stock-ish transmission. Feel free to drop me a line if you'd like and I would sure try to help in any way!

Thanks, I will.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 06:32   #10
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Inhabor, do you know what the 4th gear and Ring & Pinion Ratios will be in your tranny?
Old February 23rd, 2018, 16:03   #11
Inhabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
Inhabor, do you know what the 4th gear and Ring & Pinion Ratios will be in your tranny?

4.57 ring and pinionand .82 4th gear.
Old February 27th, 2018, 05:56   #12
Inhabor

Quote:

What did you used for fuel pump?
Old February 27th, 2018, 06:17   #13
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Other than the location of the fuel tank, most everything in your swap will be similar to my 84.

The Injection Pump does all the pumping without any assistance. A lift pump has not been necessary.
Old February 28th, 2018, 08:18   #14
markd89
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhabor View Post
4.57 ring and pinionand .82 4th gear.
FYI: I had a .70 and switched to a .77. I kinda wish I kept the .70. I'm also running much larger tires 16" 215 75 R16, You could still have sufficient power, drop RPMs and get more MPG with taller gears..
Old February 28th, 2018, 08:18   #15
markd89
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yours is one of the most creative I've seen. How many miles on the swap now? Any issues?

Mark