www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 18th, 2018, 11:55   #1
Hansd99

TDI(s): 1998 Jetta
Default Help!! Pump to Cyl. Head & Oil Cooler hose replacement

Hey everyone. Had a hose blow out on me, pump to cyl head & oil cooler hose. PITA to get too, trying to find a write-up for the proper removal/installation of said hose. Hose was able to be pulled out without removing anything near it. The new hose is a different story.

I've checked youtube, google and done a few searches on here to no avail. anything via google/youtube seems to be for a gas engine or the 2.0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to juggle 2 different work schedules with 1 car is not going smoothly.

Last edited by Hansd99; February 18th, 2018 at 18:26.
Hansd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 15:19   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

A: dont use photobucket, im not paying $40 a month just to view images you can upload here or facebook or ANYWHERE and post a picture link

What engine, AHU or ALH
the AHU is not hard to replace any hose, its just a PITA and you can do it, might skin your knuckles though a bit.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 19:50   #3
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

The '98 Jetta only ever came with the AHU.

I've done a bunch of these and they're a pain without the remote cable clamp pliers. With them they're still a pain but not too bad.

And the OP can upload pics to the forum pictures site and include them in posts.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 22:08   #4
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansd99 View Post
Hey everyone. Had a hose blow out on me, pump to cyl head & oil cooler hose. PITA to get too, trying to find a write-up for the proper removal/installation of said hose. Hose was able to be pulled out without removing anything near it. The new hose is a different story.

I've checked youtube, google and done a few searches on here to no avail. anything via google/youtube seems to be for a gas engine or the 2.0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to juggle 2 different work schedules with 1 car is not going smoothly.
Once you get through this replacement patch etc I'd be interested in knowing what brand hose failed, if you wouldn't mind sharing that.

Thanks
Steve A

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 05:39   #5
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

I replaced mine with some copper pipe and some high grade silicone couplers,
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 09:42   #6
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

This is the likely culprit, it's the one that's most vulnerable.

I've never heard of the other hose failing down there although it could.

The replacement is straight forward, just remove the old hose collecting as much coolant as you can, replace the hose and then filter the old coolant and return to the system.

Post up pictures to the forum if there's a different situation going on but really there's not that much to do, but it is not that easy because of the spatial constraints down there.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote