www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 15th, 2018, 09:45   #1
Tony45
Veteran Member

Default Buyback turn-in is now November ‘18

Just finished talking to GM at my VW dealer and was informed that they will take turn-in for the 2.0 Liter TDI until end of November (not December anymore); the Audi side of the dealership may have a different end date. I don’t know if this is a universal practice; maybe it’s a good idea to check with your dealer every now and then if you plan on turn-in toward the end of year.
Tony45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 07:51   #2
740GLE
Veteran Member

Don't trust anything a dealer tells you regarding end dates, contact the online site or the 1800 set up for the settlement for confirmation. Dealers are just a middle man between the cash the lawyers and VWoA.

Talk is cheap and dealers are known for some wild crazy stories.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 11:19   #3
czeetah
Veteran Member

Bet that's there line they give everyone hoping to avoid a last second December rush.
czeetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 16:46   #4
Rico567
Veteran Member

So, let me get this straight: they will tell this "-to GM at my VW dealer-" but not notify the owners of these cars, who are the ones most directly affected. Yeah, that seems reasonable. And what happens when lawyers for a couple of thousand owners who planned to turn in in December arrive waving the legal agreement?*

*Things like the dates for turn-in stem from a legally binding agreement entered into in Federal court, and ratified by a judge. VW can no more unilaterally change that agreement than they can come up with an affordable family spaceship.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 21:08   #5
bizzle
Veteran Member

Let's be clear about who is telling whom what; that is, the responses seem to be interpreting this as a statement the dealership made about VW telling them buybacks are shutting down in November. But it's also true that the dealership can just individually stop accepting buybacks after November even though VW hasn't made that policy. In that case, the statement could be completely true without any hogwash from the GM.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 09:48   #6
Tony45
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
Let's be clear about who is telling whom what; that is, the responses seem to be interpreting this as a statement the dealership made about VW telling them buybacks are shutting down in November. But it's also true that the dealership can just individually stop accepting buybacks after November even though VW hasn't made that policy. In that case, the statement could be completely true without any hogwash from the GM.
I tend to agree with the principal here. VW dealers can decide when to stop accepting turn-in vehicles; the remaining question is whether VW AG is obligated to make turn-in convenient for the consumer. If VW reaches the target % of turn in, they may feel off the hook and start behaving accordingly! It could be, as we get closer and closer to the bitter end, things start to get helter-skelter. Tighten the seatbelts folks!
Old February 19th, 2018, 13:05   #7
Rico567
Veteran Member

Some posts in this thread are conflating two clearly separate things:
1. The final date for a turn-in, which is 12/31/2018, and which VW is required to comply with per legal agreement.
2. Dealers participating as "hosts" in the buyback program. Nothing in the legal agreement requires any VW dealer (which are not owned by VW, but are all independently owned and operated) to participate, or, once participating, states when or if they can end such participation.
It is not completely clear in the OP which of these things is being discussed, but my opinion is that it leans rather strongly in the direction of #2. I think anyone who believes their dealer of choice is about to pull out of the program should consider pulling the trigger ASAP and turn the car in. I have no particular dealer in mind. Will they all pull out? Will I have to drive to Herndon, VA and turn it in? We live in interesting times....

- Adam Savage
Old February 20th, 2018, 07:49   #8
rambalu80
Veteran Member

The dealership closest to where I live, stopped doing buybacks as of January 31st. So did another dealership in the Houston area. This however, does not mean that VW stopped doing buybacks as of 01/31/2018. Instead, it means I will be driving 20+ miles to turn in my car (as long as the remaining dealerships in the area continue to participate) when I could have turned it in several months early by driving 12 miles to the local dealership. Those of us who have chosen to hold out a bit longer are certainly taking the risk of not being able to turn the car into the closest or preferred dealership, but to each...his own.

rambalu80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 16:48   #9
flargabarg
Veteran Member

From the 2 liter notice: "The Class Action Settlement claim program closes on December 30, 2018. You must have submitted a
complete and valid claim by September 1, 2018 to get a Buyback or an Approved Emissions
Modification plus Restitution Payment by the time the Class Action Settlement claim program ends. To
ensure that you have adequate time to schedule your Buyback or Approved Emissions Modification, do
not wait until the deadlines are fast approaching."

So there is no promise that you will be able to schedule if you try to do it very close to the deadline. Trying to wait until the last minute might be stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny.

You have been warned in the official settlement that an appointment is not guaranteed if you wait until the last moment. There is not going to be a legal out here, as one has already been given by allowing you to execute a buyback or modification now.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 05:09   #10
Tony45
Veteran Member

I’ll set my appointment in August for a turn-in in November (not December). This way if the chosen dealer decided to quit receiving cars (which they can clearly do, even after an appointment is taken), then I still have time to scramble for an alternative.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 14:06   #11
Rico567
Veteran Member

As I happens, we will probably not wait until December to turn the car in, because things get kind of hectic for us around the holidays— so, sometime this Fall.

- Adam Savage
Old March 7th, 2018, 09:09   #12
Flora

We just completed our buyback (Audi) today. The dealer closest to us stopped doing them recently so we had to drive a little further, but it wasn't a big deal.
VW recently pulled the buyback rep from that location as well, and the transaction was done over on an iPad using a Skype type program with a dealer employee facilitating the transaction. They used the iPad to take photos of the vehicle, important documents, us holding the check, etc. The dealer said they only have two buybacks scheduled all month (granted Audi has a lot less volume than VW), but that they are really slowing down. The dealer was in Raleigh, NC, so a sizable metro area.
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2018, 06:03   #13
ddorrer
Veteran Member
Default Thats funny

Thats funny, caus the phase 1 fix paperwork atates if phase 2 os not completed by a certain date, owners can still sell back their cars. I have a ‘15 GSW and have heard nada about phase 2 for a Gen 3 Tdi

ddorrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2018, 06:18   #14
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony45 View Post
I’ll set my appointment in August for a turn-in in November (not December). This way if the chosen dealer decided to quit receiving cars (which they can clearly do, even after an appointment is taken), then I still have time to scramble for an alternative.
I wouldn’t wait until August. I’d keep checking the portal and as soon as they open up November slots I’d be on one like a duck on a Junebug.

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (sold back to VW, May, 2018)
2015 Golf TDI 16K Miles (son’s)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2018, 07:05   #15
rambalu80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
I wouldn’t wait until August. I’d keep checking the portal and as soon as they open up November slots I’d be on one like a duck on a Junebug.
While no one knows how availability of slots will change 5 months down the road, as of today, I am able to schedule appointments as early as 1st week of April through the last full week of July. This has been the trend since early February. If you are in a large metro area with multiple dealerships, I don't think it will be a concern to get an appointment for the last quarter of the year, as long as the dealerships are still participating.

rambalu80 is offline   Reply With Quote