www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old February 10th, 2018, 12:31   #1
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Default Stock 23mm FSB vs Eibach 22mm solid bar

My 04 wagon has a factory 23mm front bar, I can pick up an Eibach 22mm non adjustable bar for peanuts, I know its 1mm smaller but is it a better bar than stock?

Thanks.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 19:42   #2
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Bueller, anyone???
Old February 18th, 2018, 08:58   #3
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

It all depends on what is meant by 'better'. If better means more roll resistance because of a higher spring rate from one bar vs the other, then the thicker bar is 'better'. On the other hand, there are those who think that less roll resistance is better able to keep more rubber on the road due to more suspension movement during cornering.

So you should be able to answer this question yourself by doing some critical testing and thinking about what is going on at your limits of adhesion during cornering.

Oh, and there is an interesting hint in looking at racing photos. You know, the ones where the front inside corner of the car is in the air during a fast turn? Well, it might look cool, but it isn't the fast way around the course. It is indicative of too much roll resistance for that set up, be it from spring rates that are too high or roll bars that are too heavy, or both. When you roll up on the outside tire only, your tire patch shrinks to a small part of what the car needs, and you will experience horrid understeer. That isn't likely to happen with street equipment, but it shows what happens when things are taken to the extreme.

Hope that helps,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 10:21   #4
PB_NB
Veteran Member

I had got my hands on some Neuspeed 25mm bars. I changed the front and felt a less body roll on tight cornering. Then I put the rear one in and the car really changed. The rear of the car is so tight that when I turn into my uphill driveway one of the back wheels is a foot off the ground. I think the understeer created is manageable for our purposes of towing our trailer. Most of the time we are going straight at 100kph.

I have KW2/3 fully adjustable coilovers with rears running KW3 rebound and bounce control all to tighten up the effects of the trailer on the car.

When we drive the Beetle without the trailer, it is rough ride. That's why we have the GTI

If we were to race the car, I would redo the entire setup to make it more compliant for cornering. Probably drop the rear swaybar too.
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 17:18   #5
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Thanks, I just don't like the way the front end really rolls into corners. I have a rear bar and not it makes the front seem softer,
Old February 20th, 2018, 10:32   #6
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

I put in the Seat Cupra Leon poly bushings in the rear - or should I say, I had a mechanic do that - and it so firmed up the rear end so much that I ditched the 25mm roll bar I had back there.

I have stock springs with Koni Reds and don't get a lot of front end roll.

I wonder if the larger rear bar makes the front end roll? In other words, since the force is resisted at the back, it affects the front of the car?
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.

Last edited by Judson; February 20th, 2018 at 10:35.
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 15:12   #7
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
I put in the Seat Cupra Leon poly bushings in the rear - or should I say, I had a mechanic do that - and it so firmed up the rear end so much that I ditched the 25mm roll bar I had back there.

I have stock springs with Koni Reds and don't get a lot of front end roll.

I wonder if the larger rear bar makes the front end roll? In other words, since the force is resisted at the back, it affects the front of the car?
I have those bushings to put in, will be done when I put the GLI rear beam in.

That's probably what is happening, forcing the front to roll in more. Hmmmmm.