www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 8th, 2018, 18:17   #1
Gippeto

Default Rear dogbone mount question...

Have been catching up the maintenance/repairs on a Jetta TDI I bought a couple weeks back. Today was fixing coolant leaks and an oil/filter change (this was supposedly only at ~5000Km, but now I know for sure how many Km are on it).

While underneath, I found what I believe to be the source of a "clunk" when switching from drive to reverse (or vise versa).

Initial thinking was that somehow a bolt had come loose and fallen out, so I spent a little bit of time searching google for either the part# or the size for the bolt.

I found this;
https://order.germanparts.ca/product...pe=APPLICATION

Never having crawled under a VW, let alone a Jetta...I simply don't know if I'm missing a bolt...or the mount is actually broken.

Pretty sure someone here can tell me one way or the other what it is I need to pick up so I can fix this...bolt or a mount.

Thanks,

Al
Gippeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 19:34   #2
PB_NB
Veteran Member

This is the one I have in my car (this is not my car). VF Engineering. Pretty stiff product even after 5 years, I am still waiting for it to break in.

It looks like you are missing the longer bolt that connects the mount to the tranny casing.

That must be really sloppy and hard on the downpipe and other parts with all the movement.
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 19:53   #3
Gippeto

Yes, longer bolt is missing. Was mostly wondering if the steel plate was integrated or separate...it's no longer attached to the rest of the mount....likely as a result of the bolt going awal at some point.

Further searching turned up a video where it appears the steel plate IS supposed to be attached to the rest of the mount...looks like I"m shopping for a mount AND bolts.

Not the exact same engine/trans but it's reasonable to suspect they are similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDOZtMSLR9M

Edit:....or maybe not....a bunch of the aftermarket ones have the steel plate separate. I dunno....but better get a bolt in there for asap.

Al

Last edited by Gippeto; February 8th, 2018 at 20:30.
Old February 9th, 2018, 06:38   #4
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Make sure the threads are still good in the tranny.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 11:52   #5
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

oh man, yea theirs your problem lol. chase the threads with a tap and put some blue locktight on it when fixing it. How did this happen?
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 16:31   #6
AndyBees
Veteran Member

If you had the correct bolt and assuming the threads in the transmission are not damaged, it's just a matter of installing and torqueing to spec.
Old February 9th, 2018, 17:26   #7
PB_NB
Veteran Member

I have a spare transmission in the shed, reason for the spare is because the original casing cracked where the front bolt goes. The factory bolt hole just opened up and the gear oil drained out.

Be careful with those bolts as bad things can happen!
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 19:57   #8
Gippeto

Was an easy fix (as easy as, well....threading in a bolt )once the proper bolt size was obtained.

Interesting there....web searches had turned up a size of M10 x 75 x 1.25 and M10 x70 with no pitch specified.

Fortunate that I grabbed both coarse AND fine pitches to cover the bases...turned out to be coarse thread.

In the event someone else needs that bolt and comes to this thread searching for a straight answer;

The bolt I used is M10 x 70 x 1.5

Clunk is gone, peace of mind restored and a new mount and bolts are on order.

Al