www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 8th, 2018, 13:05   #1
Shonky

Default Maf or something else

Hi, I've just bought a 2005 golf plus 1.9tdi, all was well until it started running rough and smoking.I pulled the plug from the maf sensor and it started running fine again.I fitted a new sensor, plugged it in and it's running rough again. I was thinking maybe it's the wiring but I don't know what the voltage etc should be, or could it be something else, if anyone has any ideas id be grateful.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 13:18   #2
UhOh
Veteran Member

Guessing will eventually get tiresome.

Have it scanned.

BTW - Anything other than a quality MAF (Bosch) is going to be questionable. Because MAFs play a pretty important part in how things operate they're not something to cheap out on.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 13:21   #3
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

what part brand did you get? OEM? ebay? autocrap stores? amazon?
if you unplug it and it runs fine, thats your issue. you probably have a bad unit, RMA that suker and get a quality one and or try and repair/clean the old one? MAF's are simple circuit and when they get dirty they dont work. not sure why you would have much smoke increase with a bad maf? it usually sends into limp mode or just rough ride. you have a tune on it or larger injection? stock?
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 13:36   #4
Shonky

Scanned it, no codes(except a glow plug earth). Doesn't go into limp mode. Obviously get check light when the sensor is disconnected. Doesn't smoke all the time, just random clouds. Admittedly the new sensor was from Gsf but is behaving exactly the same as the Bosch. Wasn't sure what to do next, thought I'd get some advice before I start throwing money at it. Cheers

Last edited by Shonky; February 8th, 2018 at 13:38.
Old February 8th, 2018, 13:39   #5
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
not sure why you would have much smoke increase with a bad maf? it usually sends into limp mode or just rough ride. you have a tune on it or larger injection? stock?
There's different ways in which a MAF can be "bad." 1) Outright failure (I've experienced this- turned the car into a bucking bronco- don't recall there being a code popping up [I run UltraGauges in all my cars]); 2) Degraded- FE and performance will drop (over time; very subtle); 3) Improper readings from a cheap MAF (readings within spec, but output isn't correct for actual conditions).

Could be that the MAF is reporting more air flow than is happening, in which case the ECU is happy about commanding more fuel. More fuel and not enough air = black smoke.

I'd unplug the new MAF and drive for a while. If it behaves (no black smoke) then it's for sure the MAF and or MAF circuit. If it's a cheap MAF then replace it with a quality one, regardless.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 14:52   #6
Shonky

Cheers uhoh, when it's unplugged it drives fine, maybe a little thirsty.

Last edited by Shonky; February 9th, 2018 at 07:46.