www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old February 8th, 2018, 08:04   #1
CrazyMonkey

Default Bluetooth OBD Scan Tools

Hi Folks,
I have an OBDLink MX and the Torque Pro app that I have been using to monitor EGT and such. When I close down the app, it gives me a reminder to remove the adapter from the OBD socket, which I have been doing. However, it seems that inserting and removing the adapter all the time will eventually either wear out the pins on the adapter or wear out the little connectors in the OBD socket itself.

Other than the small drain on the battery from the adapter trying to search for a Bluetooth connection all the time, can anyone think of a reason I couldn't just keep the adapter plugged in?

Thanks.
Old February 8th, 2018, 08:09   #2
gmenounos

I don't have a wiring diagram handy but if the OBD connector 12V wire is live all the time, it seems like your could fairly easily rewire it to switched 12V so it's only on when the key is in the ignition.
Old February 8th, 2018, 08:18   #3
CrazyMonkey

Good thought. I performed the "mod" to keep the switched 12V outlets to constant power outlets... involved moving a fuse. I seem to recall that the OBD 12V power stayed active even before I moved that fuse, but I suppose I should check that first before I dive into rewiring the OBD 12V power connection.
Old February 8th, 2018, 08:57   #4
tadawson
Veteran Member

Check your ScanTool docs . . . I have an MX as well, and recall reading something about a 'sleep mode' to allow it to do exactly what you want to do and leave it plugged in *without* doing any wiring mods . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 19:49   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I also remember something like this.

Automatic sleep & wake-up

BATTERYSAVER™ MODE < 2 mA

Page 18

https://www.scantool.net/downloads/98/stn1100-frpm.pdf
Old February 9th, 2018, 07:52   #6
CrazyMonkey

Thanks folks. I violated my own rule: when in doubt, read the directions. I'm one of those people that actually reads my car's owners manual, and look through the instructions and such for all my devices, except somehow I missed the sleep mode... or since I've just been so crazy busy at work, I just forgot. Anyway, I went back to the OBDLink site and found the following under the MX:

"BatterySaver™ Technology
Plug it in, leave it in — without the danger of draining your vehicle’s battery. Fully automatic sleep and wake-up: does not require switches or manual button presses!"

So since the TorquePro app works with any Bluetooth adapter, it gives you a warning message for those adapters that don't have a sleep mode.

Last edited by CrazyMonkey; February 9th, 2018 at 07:56.
CrazyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 08:01   #7
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

One good advantage of buying the real deal!
Old February 9th, 2018, 09:16   #8
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

I would assume that a ScanGauge II does exactly that as well. Having used a SG II on two different vehicles since 2005 I can say that it has never been current draw concern to me. There are enough VW items constantly drawing juice from the battery, i.e alarm, radio/Nav, plus whatever else there may be.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 10:29   #9
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

The car itself goes into sleep mode a certain period of time after locking. So it's trying to do the same thing as he wants to do as well.
Old February 9th, 2018, 14:51   #10
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
The car itself goes into sleep mode a certain period of time after locking.
Obviously it doesn't go into a "deep" sleep since the alarm LED in the drivers door blinks for a few days and even after it eventually does go off the alarm is still active, so is power to the Nav/radio and who knows how many other computerized items to keep memories alive.

I know, because where I am now I have not driven my car since December 12th 2017 and I have a 12 volt 2.5 amp solar panel connected to the battery.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 18:15   #11
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Well it doesn't just shut down and kill everything but it does go into sleep mode. There are posts here that detail how much power it uses in each state. 40 mA according to this document up to 2010 models. Newer ones I assume to be similar.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/TSB..._04_Matrix.pdf
Old February 22nd, 2018, 09:42   #12
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I am running the ELM 327 v1.5 and it goes into sleep mode after 600 seconds IIRC. There is also a mode to keep it on for longer than 600 seconds; what I remember was getting fuel or drinks or what-have you it will stay on for 10 minutes after the key is turned off.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2018, 13:04   #13
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
One good advantage of buying the real deal!
They are talking about a "Real Deal". A lot folks would probably never use VCDS to it's full potential anyway and would be a Gee Wiz toy to them. What is this advantage you speak of as it relates to this thread?

Something to try would be to with the dongle plugged in, trip the drivers latch and arm the alarm Wait for the car to go into sleep mode (20 minutes or so) and check the dongle to see if it's light goes out.

You trip the latch because it would let you arm the alarm with the drivers door open. Alternately you could roll down the drivers window and use a mirror to check if the power light on the dongle goes out.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; February 25th, 2018 at 13:27.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote