www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 7th, 2018, 23:22   #1
Roller68

TDI(s): Gold3 tdi
Default VNT 1Z to ahu convert

Hello. i have a Golf 1Z from 1998 and what to convert to vnt.i got a complete ahu vnt engine for getting all the stuff from.can i put AFN software into my GG box in my golf mk3 or do i need a another box?. anyone got box nr to use and exact with software to put in the box.I cant se a complete information about box nr and software version for makeing this work.The hardware change is easy.
Roller68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 07:24   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

i am very confused.
You want to swap turbos into your 1z with a turbo from a AHU and you need new software?

there is so much conflicting information.
first off, AHU is a 1Z, isnt it?2nd off im not aware that the AHU came with a vtn turbo on any cars. 3rd there is no software swap, boost is boost, its all controlled by waste gate and turbo pressure or vacuum control from the n75

what is a gold3 TDI?

why are you changing your turbo? a vtn stock is not an improvement to a K03. its a sideways move with more complexity as your going from boost control to vacuum control. Upgrade your tubro with something better or are you replacing a failing turbo? why do you think its bad in that case?
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 08:01   #3
Mikkijayne
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi S8
Fuel Economy: lol

Do you mean convert 1Z to AFN to use the VNT turbo? Like Mongler said, 1Z=AHU - both wastegate turbo.

Yes, you can do that if you use AFN software and AFN N75 valve. 028906021GG AHU ecu will probably take AFN software, but its easier to just swap to an AFN ecu (like 026906021GH). I have one with immo off and tuning which you can have cheap MSA15 is plug and play with the immo anyway, if you have a matched key and VCDS.
Old February 8th, 2018, 10:08   #4
shortysclimbin
Veteran Member

Mikkijayne - is the AFN ecu obd port tunable unlike the 1z/AHU which is chip swap?
shortysclimbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 10:22   #5
Exenos
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf

Pretty sure the afn is non flashable. Same ecu as the ahu so its a chip swap.
Exenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 10:27   #6
Mongler98
Veteran Member

this is why its best to just put in a used or new trubo upgrade for the engine you have, vs messing with a swap unless it gains something better, in this case it does not.
Old February 8th, 2018, 14:31   #7
Mikkijayne
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi S8
Fuel Economy: lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortysclimbin View Post
Mikkijayne - is the AFN ecu obd port tunable unlike the 1z/AHU which is chip swap?
All the 68 and 80 pin AFN ecus are chip swaps like the 1Z and AHU.

There are apparently some 121 pin port tunable versions for the AFN & AVG engines in the run-out B5 and C5 models, but I've never actually found one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
unless it gains something better, in this case it does not.
Well it opens up a whole load of more interesting or modern turbos like the BV43, GTB1756VK etc.

Last edited by Mikkijayne; February 8th, 2018 at 14:35.
Mikkijayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 17:48   #8
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijayne View Post
Well it opens up a whole load of more interesting or modern turbos like the BV43, GTB1756VK etc.
that's what i meant, if you go to all that work for a stock VTN13 or whatever you better just go and upgrade it all together,