www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 7th, 2018, 21:49   #1
Kiter

Default Long-Distance Buyback Appointment?

I have been considering the buyback for a while, and finally made the decision and got around to doing the paperwork in December. I was planning on scheduling a buyback appointment in early March (before I need to renew the registration). I just went online to schedule a buyback appointment at Lithia VW of Des Moines, Iowa, but the site said there are no appointments available at the dealer. Based on the layoffs of buyback agents, as well as the now-voluntary participation of dealers in the buyback process, my guess is Lithia got out while they could. The next closest dealer listed was 100 miles away. I'm absolutely astounded... and left wondering when I'll find time to take a day off work to make the drive and complete the buyback, as well as how in the hell I'm going to get home?

Has anyone else ran into a similar issue, or spoken to VW about there being no reasonably distanced dealers to turn a vehicle in at?
Kiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 22:05   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Yes there have been others reporting similar situations. It will probably get worse as time goes on, in my opinion.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 06:00   #3
rambalu80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiter View Post
I have been considering the buyback for a while, and finally made the decision and got around to doing the paperwork in December. I was planning on scheduling a buyback appointment in early March (before I need to renew the registration). I just went online to schedule a buyback appointment at Lithia VW of Des Moines, Iowa, but the site said there are no appointments available at the dealer. Based on the layoffs of buyback agents, as well as the now-voluntary participation of dealers in the buyback process, my guess is Lithia got out while they could. The next closest dealer listed was 100 miles away. I'm absolutely astounded... and left wondering when I'll find time to take a day off work to make the drive and complete the buyback, as well as how in the hell I'm going to get home?

Has anyone else ran into a similar issue, or spoken to VW about there being no reasonably distanced dealers to turn a vehicle in at?
Check out this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=485283

Going forward, it appears that the dealers can decide whether or not to participate in the buyback program. I live in an area with 7 dealerships within 65 miles from me. The closest one is about 12 miles away and they are of course one of two dealerships that are no longer participating in the buyback program and when I look for appointments at these two dealerships on the claims portal I see a message that no appointments are available. As of today, the other 5 dealerships still have appointments available until the 3rd week of June, but I plan to hold on to the car a little bit longer. We'll see what happens.

There was also another person that reported that appointments he had already scheduled have been canceled because that particular dealership is no longer participating.

rambalu80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 09:56   #4
Rico567
Veteran Member

Anyone who has had additional costs and inconvenience added to what they would originally have had to do to turn the car in should contact the plaintiff counsel. Be prepared to specifically demonstrate the costs to you e.g., one poster above is going to have to take a day off work, which is a cost.
This is what I intend to do when we're ready to pick a date (not until later this year).

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 14:26   #5
Kiter

I contacted the VW TDI Claim hotline and they confirmed the dealer did not file the necessary paperwork to continue participating in the buyback return process. I called the dealer (also where I bought the car) and gave them an earful about their blatant decision to abandon their existing customer base, and that I would no longer do business with them. I received an apologetic call from the GM at the dealer - he said that VW never returned the necessary paperwork to him, but that he would contact VW to get everything sorted out so that they could process buybacks. I guess we'll see what happens...

If anyone else is in a similar situation, it might be worth putting pressure on your local dealer. Hopefully others in central Iowa will benefit from my conversation with Lithia today.
Kiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 14:48   #6
rambalu80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiter View Post
I contacted the VW TDI Claim hotline and they confirmed the dealer did not file the necessary paperwork to continue participating in the buyback return process. I called the dealer (also where I bought the car) and gave them an earful about their blatant decision to abandon their existing customer base, and that I would no longer do business with them. I received an apologetic call from the GM at the dealer - he said that VW never returned the necessary paperwork to him, but that he would contact VW to get everything sorted out so that they could process buybacks. I guess we'll see what happens...

If anyone else is in a similar situation, it might be worth putting pressure on your local dealer. Hopefully others in central Iowa will benefit from my conversation with Lithia today.
Glad your local dealer is willing to continue to do buybacks. Mine however has decided not because they see it as a waste of time. Iíll very likely end up with a new Tiguan to replace the JSW TDI, but I donít think Iíll buy from my local dealer either.

rambalu80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 17:54   #7
BroncoAZ
Veteran Member

I just posted this in another thread:

I just made the appointment for my Touareg. My local small town dealer is not doing them currently, I spoke to the GM and he told me about the transition to dealership personnel. Unfortunately I need to turn in mine by 2/26/2018 because that is when my extended warranty expires, I don’t need the vehicle anymore (already purchased my Passat TDI) so I want it gone before anything can happen to it.

The Phoenix dealers are still doing appointments, the first available was 2/26, so I’ve got to drive 140 miles one way and find a way home after. I’m guessing VW won’t cover my Uber to the airport or the $48 shuttle back to Flagstaff, not to mention the extra 5 hours of my time wasted.

Former TDIís: 2009 Jetta TDI - traded 09/2013, 2011 Touareg TDI - Bought back 2/26/2018
My Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins
Wheelin Rig: 1987 Ford Bronco http://www.supermotors.net/registry/13
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 23:36   #8
bizzle
Veteran Member

You don't *have* to drive to Phoenix, you are choosing to. What you do have to do, however, is weigh the inconvenience of what you described against the probability of something major in your car grenading a month or two after the extended warranty expiring. I personally think the chances of that happening are slim to none but I understand everyone has a different risk threshold.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 05:32   #9
BroncoAZ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
You don't *have* to drive to Phoenix, you are choosing to. What you do have to do, however, is weigh the inconvenience of what you described against the probability of something major in your car grenading a month or two after the extended warranty expiring. I personally think the chances of that happening are slim to none but I understand everyone has a different risk threshold.
I donít understand some of the responses I get on this forum. I see it as I *have* to drive to Phoenix, here are just a few reasons: Iím done with the vehicle, have already purchased a replacement, donít want it sitting in my driveway (in the way) for who knows how many months while my local dealer figures out if they will be doing buybacks, donít want to continue paying insurance on it, donít want to pay $300+ for tags at the end of February, etc.

I work in the dealership industry and speak to VW techs and service managers regularly. There have been a few cases locally where something major happened to the TDI just before the buyback but out of warranty, in one case it was a 3.0 engine catastrophe. In those cases the customer had to pay for the repairs before their car could be bought back, $15K in the case of the 3.0 engine. Iím not willing to risk buyback money repairing this vehicle because I couldnít turn it in when I wanted to.

Former TDIís: 2009 Jetta TDI - traded 09/2013, 2011 Touareg TDI - Bought back 2/26/2018
Old February 12th, 2018, 07:26   #10
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Everyone's circumstances are different and some have zero empathy. I agree with you assessment. Since your local dealer is not doing buybacks, you have to take it to Phoenix.

Last edited by kjclow; February 12th, 2018 at 07:28.
kjclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 09:51   #11
bizzle
Veteran Member

I have empathy, but that's not the issue. His local dealer is going to be doing buybacks but after the original date that he wanted to turn his car in. He could wait instead of taking it to Phoenix but he's making a choice not to. That's simply a factual correction and doesn't have any relationship to whether or not I sympathize with his circumstances.

Once someone quits focusing on how someone is making them do a choice they don't want to do, that opens up potential alternatives. I suggested one viable alternative choice, which was wait until his local dealership starts accepting buybacks again, but there could be others if he stops believing that he has no choice in the matter when in fact he is the one making a choice.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 11:14   #12
BroncoAZ
Veteran Member

The GM told me he intended to continue doing buybacks, but there is no guarantee that VW will give them approval. He told me not to wait and to take it to Phoenix.

Old February 12th, 2018, 11:22   #13
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post
The GM told me he intended to continue doing buybacks, but there is no guarantee that VW will give them approval. He told me not to wait and to take it to Phoenix.
Throw it on the trailer behind the Dodge, road trip time!

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 11:36   #14
BroncoAZ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd1 View Post
Throw it on the trailer behind the Dodge, road trip time!
This is certainly an option. Unfortunately the Dodge has developed a coolant leak that needs to be addressed first.

Old February 12th, 2018, 12:58   #15
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Rent a dolly, tow the Passat behind the Touareg. Leave Dolly.

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote