www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 7th, 2018, 02:53   #1
Dutchie

TDI(s): A4 B5 1.8t
Default Audi A4 B5 Quattro awx/avf swap...

Bonjour, good day to all.
I was wondering if a 1.9tdi awx/avf fits in My car.
I already know i have to convert My car to drive by wire, and that i Will need a diesel Quattro gearbox.
But whatever about the rest.
Is het harness plug and play, pr do i need a different diesel loom.
Will a b6 gearbox fit My car. Will the B5 diesel Quattro box bolt up to the awx.
I hope to fond soms anders with the help of u Guys!!!
Thanks in advance,
Dutchie
Dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 13:54   #2
K1Cowboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40+ MPG

Your B5 is most likely not a can bus wiring system and your gauges and things are gonna be a challenge to do with an AWX/AVF. The AFN is more of what you would want to use, as it came in the A4 overseas and is not can bus. The AFN even shares the same block as the 1.8T.
K1Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 17:12   #3
2many diesels
Veteran Member

Being here in the states I am not familiar with the motors your looking at. I just finished an A4 quattro with an ALH. (b5 2001) Except for not being able to work straight through without interruptions, It was a piece of cake...now for tune and injectors.
2many diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 10:55   #4
Dutchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1Cowboy View Post
Your B5 is most likely not a can bus wiring system and your gauges and things are gonna be a challenge to do with an AWX/AVF. The AFN is more of what you would want to use, as it came in the A4 overseas and is not can bus. The AFN even shares the same block as the 1.8T.
But the afn isnt a pd engine right?
Is it possible to het 250hp with this engine?
Preferably i want to swap to a pd engine.

Last edited by Dutchie; February 10th, 2018 at 10:58.
Old February 10th, 2018, 10:57   #5
Dutchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2many diesels View Post
Being here in the states I am not familiar with the motors your looking at. I just finished an A4 quattro with an ALH. (b5 2001) Except for not being able to work straight through without interruptions, It was a piece of cake...now for tune and injectors.
2001 is a fl right?
So u have canbus then
What power did you het from it?
Old February 10th, 2018, 11:16   #6
2many diesels
Veteran Member

Not sure what fl is. There is can buss in this ecu, but it is minimal. When tuned should be around 170 hp 300 tq.
My son is swapping a b5 with a bhw...2 liter pump duese....has more can buss, so we'll see how that goes.
Old February 10th, 2018, 11:36   #7
Dutchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2many diesels View Post
Not sure what fl is. There is can buss in this ecu, but it is minimal. When tuned should be around 170 hp 300 tq.
My son is swapping a b5 with a bhw...2 liter pump duese....has more can buss, so we'll see how that goes.

Fl is facelift
The car i have is a pre facelift without canbus.
Does your son have a thread on tdiclub? I Will look in to it
Old February 10th, 2018, 15:38   #8
2many diesels
Veteran Member

Ok, yes mine is a facelift, his is not. No thread on the club for either. Done a lot of swaps. Time to document them is just not there
Old February 10th, 2018, 17:27   #9
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

I also have a pre-facelift A4 Avant TDI quattro with AFN engine. Any engine will theoretically go in there, the easiest will be those already found in the A4 / 3B Passat. CANBUS is not an issue to swap if you have the complete wiring harness from a donor car and you have some skills and lots of patience. Good engine for your car could be a BGW/BHW 2.0 PD TDI from the 3BG Passat.

Nevertheless, 250 HP is not too difficult to achieve in an AFN. Someone has posted in the Performance section with 290 HP.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 14:21   #10
Dutchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
I also have a pre-facelift A4 Avant TDI quattro with AFN engine. Any engine will theoretically go in there, the easiest will be those already found in the A4 / 3B Passat. CANBUS is not an issue to swap if you have the complete wiring harness from a donor car and you have some skills and lots of patience. Good engine for your car could be a BGW/BHW 2.0 PD TDI from the 3BG Passat.

Nevertheless, 250 HP is not too difficult to achieve in an AFN. Someone has posted in the Performance section with 290 HP.
Thanks for the quick reply. The 2.0 TDI engines are pretty scarse even here.

BTW i Just asumed the pd engines are all lots better than conventional TDI engines. Is this treu or not.
And what gearbox is best for it. The 5 speed in My car is way to short, do a diesel gearbox nerds to be swapped as well. But what fits and what abuse can it handle. And is there a easy way to look up the gearbox and Final Gear of My car?
Old February 11th, 2018, 16:34   #11
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

6 speed 01E. Those fitted to the V6 TDI will have tallest ratios, eg GBB.
http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a4_...os_capacities/

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 23:09   #12
strangersfaces

Dutchie,
You might consider reaching out to member Frans, a Vendor here at TDI Club, also from The Netherlands:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434593
http://dutchautoparts.com
Many here have purchased their TDI conversion parts (along with many other components) from Frans, with good results. He knows what is needed for successful conversions.
Just a thought...
Lance
strangersfaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 00:51   #13
K1Cowboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40+ MPG

I second that to talk to Frans, he sold me my complete conversion and he is very knowledgeable. I used an O1E from a V6 TDI because it had a taller 6th gear. It works great with a tune that can power the car. The AFN is a VE motor. In my opinion it is more reliable and does not require a lift pump. It's older technology but you can still get a lot of power out of it and parts are cheap and plentiful.
K1Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 14:50   #14
Dutchie

Thanks for the replies about Frans, Will government hun a call tomorrow.
In other light, another question. My car doesnt have canbus. But of i take a canbus engine, Will it run? OR do i need to delete the canbus part...and of i take a canbus engine how far can i go? For example: van i Just take any engine from An A4 b7 OR A6 C6?