www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 4th, 2018, 17:14   #1
SnapRattleKnock

TDI(s): 03 Jetta TDI
Default Zerostart Series 8000 750W vs 1000/1500W heater

I just installed a 750W 8000 Series Zerostart heater and I'm not impressed with the results. I followed one of the other forum posts for install. Hoses are not warm after running heater for 4 hours. Anyone else installed the 750W heater? The forum post I saw had the 1500w heater installed. Guy at the autoparts store was convinced that the 750W heater would be plenty for the little 1.9 ALH.
SnapRattleKnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 18:44   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

I forget what one i am using but if i remember right its the 750, coolant gets no where near warm (above 90F) in -30F outside all night with it plugged in all night it keeps (warm enough) the hood always has the snow melted on it and when i turn the key, its like starting it on a summers day. Thats the point with these heaters. they are cheep to install, and cheep to run. If you wanted a hot car to get into your going to spend $$$. Its normal, what is the coolant temp? do you have a digital temp readout you can measure it with?
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 19:03   #3
h4vok
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 to 50

Is the heater positioned in the right spot? I have a 1000w Frostheater and the coolant hoses get pretty warm. I know that the position is important though as there is no pump and convection is what it uses to circulate coolant. Parking on something that is not flat could also do it. My heater is positioned right under the battery.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 20:02   #4
crawdaddy
Veteran Member

I'm in the process of installing the Zerostar 3308002 model, which is 1000W, which has a check valve that HAS TO BE REMOVED.
Not sure about the 750W.
Was also reading up on the installation from multiple people, and one thing that was so important is that the hose exiting at the top must be always going up.
At the bottom inlet if you see a black ball and can't see the heating elements, it has a check valve, must remove.
Do you have the hose exiting at top always going up?
crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 21:00   #5
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post
I'm in the process of installing the Zerostar 3308002 model, which is 1000W, which has a check valve that HAS TO BE REMOVED.
Not sure about the 750W.
Was also reading up on the installation from multiple people, and one thing that was so important is that the hose exiting at the top must be always going up.
At the bottom inlet if you see a black ball and can't see the heating elements, it has a check valve, must remove.
Do you have the hose exiting at top always going up?
^ this.....750 watts is lots for a 4cyl.....they should work great.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 21:24   #6
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

3X... 750 watts works just fine here in the great white north.

If you're not getting heat you're probably not getting convection... things to check include the correct installation height, the check valve, and the proper connection points within the oil cooler circuit itself.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 22:15   #7
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I have the Frostheater/Zeroheater 1000 watt version and in 4 hours in freezing temperatures my engine starts right up and any snow on my hood is usually melted off.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 23:04   #8
crawdaddy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
I have the Frostheater/Zeroheater 1000 watt version and in 4 hours in freezing temperatures my engine starts right up and any snow on my hood is usually melted off.
For your location you have, Reno, sort of...
Where is sort of?
And what is freezing temperature to you, because I checked the weather for Reno, NV and it would be VERY nice right now.
Tonight where I live it's going be -14c wind chill -21c that's 6.8F not including wind chill.
I was watching Chris Tarrant: Extreme Railways, the one where he travels to Russia and the world's most northerly train station.
At this station in the middle winter, there's a guy walking around outside in shorts and T-shirt, guys in t-shirts with full pants outside and he's wearing a big orange helly hansen.
So the whole point is what is freezing to one person might be not be for someone else.
Sorry SnapRattleKnock for getting off topic
crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 23:20   #9
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Sort of.. is more like Carson City/Douglas County. And yes, right now the weather is quite nice, but a couple of weeks ago there was 1/2" of ice on my car; everywhere except the hood and the car started right away without the usual smoking at startup.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 11:08   #10
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Waldon View Post
3X... 750 watts works just fine here in the great white north.
... in -30F weather.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 19:27   #11
NoSmoke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2K2 Golf

I have the 1,500 Watter. About an hour is what's required for an easy start in Calgary Cold. I went with the big one to minimize waiting time if I suddenly decide I want to travel.

A 750 should get the hoses warm after 4 hours I'm guessing unless there is a stiff wind blowing through the grill or, there's an electrical problem. Can you hear the heater hissing a bit after it's been on a while?

One caution with the 1500 - you won't be able to run a cabin heater as well on a single 15 amp circuit (I have two separate circuits/plugs).
Old February 6th, 2018, 06:17   #12
fouillard13
Veteran Member

FYI Wind chill temp does not effect cars. Or any steel for that matter. Wind chill only affects skin/living things with moisture in them

How can you tell if you got a 750 or 1500?
Old February 6th, 2018, 08:57   #13
NoSmoke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2K2 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouillard13 View Post
FYI Wind chill temp does not effect cars. Or any steel for that matter. Wind chill only affects skin/living things with moisture in them

How can you tell if you got a 750 or 1500?
Wind chill affects anything that is above ambient (air) temperature; living things or engine blocks or anything else.
Old February 6th, 2018, 12:48   #14
tadawson
Veteran Member

Nope. Wind chill is mainly the effect of moving air in causing evaporative cooling on living tissue, thus making the "effective" temperature effects lower than ambient. Considering that steel has *ZERO* moisture to evaporate, this cannot happen. Yes, things will get cold *faster*, but will not see any effect similar to being below ambient temp whatsoever . . .

https://sciencing.com/wind-chill-aff...-10056448.html
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 14:03   #15
fouillard13
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSmoke View Post
Wind chill affects anything that is above ambient (air) temperature; living things or engine blocks or anything else.
no it doesnt. itll cool it off faster when its warm, but overall temperature is overall temperature, like the engine would be on a cold morning. the engine temp is what your digital readout says, its what the mercury thermometer says, its NOT the wind chill temp.

why do you think mercury thermometers dont read wind chill temps?

plus, how does wind hit the engine block? or the pistons?

edit: tdawson beat me to it, and much more elegantly

Last edited by fouillard13; February 6th, 2018 at 14:05.
fouillard13 is offline   Reply With Quote