www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 3rd, 2018, 20:46   #1
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Default ALH Colt Cam Lower EGTs?

Searched around but didnt find what I was looking for. Those that tow or have a an ALH in a heavier swap (+4000lbs) did a colt cam stage 2 lower your sustained cruise EGTs?
Old February 3rd, 2018, 22:28   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

HECK YEA, it will easily drop the temp 100F across the entire rpm range, provided you have head work already done (port polish etc).
highly suggest a DIY water injection. If your interested i can PM you a parts list and a few links to help with doing a water injection for under $200.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 22:52   #3
Kerma_tuned

Fuel Economy: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
HECK YEA, it will easily drop the temp 100F across the entire rpm range, provided you have head work already done (port polish etc).
highly suggest a DIY water injection. If your interested i can PM you a parts list and a few links to help with doing a water injection for under $200.
How will they perform with out head work. Ive got a stage 3 colt cam on order for my alh with no porting or polishing done yet
Kerma_tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 08:24   #4
Mongler98
Veteran Member

That i do not know off the top of my head. A cam works by helping other mods. by its self, with no other mods on a stock engine, it does very little. What it does do is help that torque and HP curve creep up a bit further in distance on the graph and help extend the rpm range within that curve. If you have a bigger curve than the cam multiplies that more, hence it helps out your mods big time vs a stock setup.
If you dont get a tune to go with that cam, your wasting your money. Other things can solve your issues of high EGT,s low HP etc... a cam is always installed after lots of mods and usually some head work, then it shines gloriously. Lets put it this way. i ran 215HP on stock internal block a ported head with undercut valves, big turbo, and big big power injectors and a water injection system and never had issues with temps. all that with no cam.

You should give Kerma a call and talk with them about this, same with Mark Malone. Im not an expert on cams but there are other veteran members here who are. I think they will all say the same, "why"
Old February 4th, 2018, 08:36   #5
crazyrunner33
Veteran Member

What kind of EGT are you seeing? I wouldn't be concerned about the EGT too much unless if you're holding over 900 degrees science for a very long time. The bigger concern should be coolant temperature.
Old February 4th, 2018, 10:18   #6
Mongler98
Veteran Member

1600+F EGT? thats way WAY to high for the stock turbos. Technically it can handle those temps but realistically its more like 1450 max. big 10/4 on the coolant temps.
If your hauling, you need gauges. nothing worse than doing things with out data, especially putting an expensive and fairly pointless mod like a cam on a stock engine.
Old February 4th, 2018, 10:18   #7
PB_NB
Veteran Member

We didn't do any porting but did a bunch of upgrades with a focus on moving air with as little restriction as possible without breaking the bank. I don't have an EGT gauge but am looking at getting one. That's why we added the stage 2 cam.

I do notice that the power band has shifted to higher rpm's. When we are towing, I try to keep the speed around 60mph when cruising. Our trailer creates a hugh wind drag due to its shape and the car is so small so it doesn't break the wind for the trailer.

I usually keep it in 4th gear and let the rpm's run around 2,600 or so. With our hilly roads that seems to work the best. When in 5th, I need to push the rpm's up or it seems to be lugging and leads to running too fast to be safe with the trailer in tow.

The trailer weighs about 2,000 lbs. which the car doesn't seem to mind. I think the shape creates the biggest drag on the system.
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 13:50   #8
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Anything that opens the exhaust valve earlier up the expansion stroke will not reduce EGT but rather raise it. If there is a real reduction, it's due to some other factor(s), most likely the higher volumetric efficiency from the combination of cam and head porting that means effectively operating at a leaner lambda for a given amount of fuelling. Now that will materially reduce EGT.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 15:51   #9
vwdsmguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/46/42
Default Colt stage 3

I had one of these which was timed properly, but what I didn't like was lower fuel mileage and less power in the normal driving range 1800 to 3000. It had a little more on top, but my 1/4 times were not improved at all. I was luck to sell it for a reasonable price.
'02 Golf TDI, RC5, PP764's, FMIC, 2.5" T-Back, OMI, SB-3 clutch, 11mm pump, VNT17/22, 3 Bar MAP, CAT filter, 90 GPH Holley lift pump, modded D24 intake manifold, Rosten rods, Nural pistons, ported head - 15.0 @ 94 at the drags
vwdsmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 16:24   #10
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
Anything that opens the exhaust valve earlier up the expansion stroke will not reduce EGT but rather raise it. If there is a real reduction, it's due to some other factor(s), most likely the higher volumetric efficiency from the combination of cam and head porting that means effectively operating at a leaner lambda for a given amount of fuelling. Now that will materially reduce EGT.
This
its all about flow, If you have a larger intercooler than this will help lower EGT's greatly but on stock, its not going to do much. Im not sure why you have "high"egts to begin with on a stock system? you need gauges and logs to get a better handle on what you need for your application.
Old February 4th, 2018, 17:51   #11
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Let me preface all thats been said with the setup. Stock ALH, R520 injectors, BV43a turbo,tuned, pushing a 4200lbs truck down the hwy @ 70mph I see sustained 1100F EGTs. Coolant never goes above 208F (ecu) and only gets that warm if its summer and loaded and EGTs pop above the 1350F level. Intercooler is decent sized but could be bigger. I am in the process of putting a much larger cooler on soon and it sounds like it might be what Im looking for. I was just curious if a colt cam might be worth it. I still might do one later down the road.
Old February 4th, 2018, 18:36   #12
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Motohead1,

Strongly suggest you listen to TDIMeister. He has a VERY strong high level diesel engineering background.
I also witnessed a comprehensive cam test at a SoCal Dyno day a couple of years ago on a modified B4. Results, cam timing changes and a cam change with the Colt Stage 2 from a stock cam. Results were statistical no change

I have a Jeep Comanche mid size truck just finished with a TDI engine conversion. So EGT temps will be a priority for me also. Hope to post my experience before too long
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.

Last edited by john.jackson9213; February 4th, 2018 at 18:44.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 18:46   #13
Mongler98
Veteran Member

OK, well your coolant temps are fine and so are your EGFT, 1350 is nothing to be concerned with, once you pop into the 1450+ thats when you get worried.
Squirt some water injeciotn DIY into it and be done.
Old February 4th, 2018, 19:18   #14
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

What mongler98 says in post #4 about needing tuning changes with a cam change is EXACTLY what was found with extensive Dyno testing referred to in previous post.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 05:28   #15
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Another thought here. Your running R520's on a stock fuel system? those injectors are way to large for your set up. pp764s or smaller would be better considering you have a bolt on turbo and stock exhaust. To make your system work with those injectors, you need bigger turbo, upgrade IC water to air or FMIC and increasing your volume of the IC by at least 30% from the stock volume, exhaust manifold work, up your PSI a bit perhaps and most of all a upgrade on your fuel pump if you have one. Walbro is great pump here. Also the biggest issue is you need an 11mm pump and preferably a 12mm head.

I mean you dont have to use these mods but those injectors are a waste of your money otherwise. A cam will also be a waste if you dont do the following to your engine. Port polish on the head with valve work and upgrade springs, larger or up the psi on your BV43a and upgrade your fuel delivery. your going to be working at higher RPM's and without the supporting fuel delivery and air flow, not to mention the all important retune, you might as well give my disabled son the money or throw it down the toilet.