Anyone in GTA with knowledge on Strut Replacement

boodles

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
Ugh. So I just claimed my problems were solved in another thread. I think we fixed one problem only to uncover another.

At this point I’m so frustrated and fed up and broke. Essentially my stepdad said he couldn’t do the struts on my car, then he decided he could. Then he had a hard time because it’s a VW and not the same as any other car anyone in my family has ever owned (every car they have ever owned has been American made-Chevy, Dodge, Pontiac, etc). Now I have two struts that I don’t think either of are working properly, no one willing to take another look, and can’t afford to send the car into a full shop after having my job slashed with the wage hike.

Please, can anyone in the Toronto area help me out? Take a look/know somewhere cheap but good I can take the car for a second look, or something.

Right now I have a drivers side strut that looks like it’s supporting the car but making some noise on turning, a passenger strut that doesn’t seem to be supporting the car, and the car still sounds like a freight train when it hits potholes.

Please help.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Did they put the other Napa strut in? To bad you weren’t closer I’d look at just to see what’s going on, no charge, just curious, after your other thread.

boodles

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
The did put the other identical strut in.
:D :D If I had a passport I’d drive there if you could fix it. If your actually in Lawrenceville PA it’s only 5 hours, what’s another $100 in gas. Not gunna find anywhere her to fix it for $100 unless another member from this forum in Ontario offers up services.

But now I seem to have two different problems. One seems to be not doing is job, the front passenger corner of the car is significantly low, and has a lot of bounce when tested (as if it’s a worn out strut). While the drivers side is just making a ton of noise.

The problem with my family is they half ass everything and if they don’t have the right tools they “make it work”. At this point there’s so much going on I don’t know what to do and can’t afford to sink any more money into it now. It already cost me $460 for the struts, and about $100 worth of gas driving back and forth from my place to the shop three times. Still cheaper than the alternative, but obviously not in the long run if I now have to pay someone else to look at it anyway.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Yeah about 2.5 south of buffalo.

Maybe your best bet is to try and find someone local explain what happened and see if they’ll work with you.

Last edited:

boodles

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
Place I went to today wants the full price for a suspension inspection and and to replace the strut as if it was the first time and not already new if anything is wrong with it :/ so much for “neighboor hood guys”.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Place I went to today wants the full price for a suspension inspection and and to replace the strut as if it was the first time and not already new if anything is wrong with it :/ so much for “neighboor hood guys”.
Sorry about your predicament, but you are expecting too much for another shop to do things without them removing possible liability of responsibility of what was done. They don't want to mix up previous crap work and possibly compromised parts that you now have on your car with their work. I would keep trying to find someone who might have a different view though.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Just find a good local shop. Try a referral service to weed them out, Angies, Home Advisor, Car Talk are ones I've used.
Like jokila I don't quite understand your statement on the work quote.
Any good mechanic will approach a repair in a comprehensive manner, they should go over the whole system. For example if they find a control arm bent, you want to know about it.

ianfar

TDI
05 PD Jetta - retired 2015 Jetta
The struts don't hold up the car, the springs do. The struts control the bounce of the springs.

It sounds like you need springs. When the strut bearing seizes, turning the wheel forces the springs to bind in their mounts. Eventually the springs break.

Mine broke near the top. Have a look up in the wheel wells. It should be obvious if they are broken.

Search up the replacement on YouTube. If you still need help, PM me.

Be forewarned, I am a backyard hack, not a mechanic!

boodles

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
The whole system was replaced. The strut, spring, bushing, everything.

I don’t need the whole car inspected. I need the two new strut assemblies checked out and figure out what’s wrong with which one, if anything. It’s all 100% brand new parts just put in. The problem is either they are in incorrectly, or a part was faulty when baught, but since the two look different, I’m not sure what it’s supposed to look like like so I can’t even say which one is right.

Last edited:

boodles

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
I already know the car has other problems but I can’t afford to fix them all right now. I’ve forked over $600 into two new strut assemblies, I need this fixed and finished before I even think about working on the other problems the car has.

I bought the car real cheap for cash, and I’ve been slowly putting money into it, but it’s taking time. Regardless, it gets me where I need to be, it’s a nice little car, and I didn’t have to take out a loan or put it on payments.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have replaced struts on these cars a few times so I know how they are supposed to look.

I'm at DVP & 401 and willing to pull the front wheels and take a proper look provided it's not too nasty out - PM me.

Simon

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
^^ as above, I'm well versed...where are you located? I live in Elora (just north of guelph) and work in Cambridge, and will travel (within reason) to help a fellow TDI'er out :)

PM me :)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you take one of these guys up on their offer, make sure you watch, listen and ask about anything you don’t understand. When you own a car and have a distinct lack of funds it helps to be able to do your own work.

I found that out at 19 when I bought my first car. Good luck.

boodles

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
Ah I know all too well. In fact I am capable of changing my own tires, doing an oil change and other small repairs, but I live in a small apretemtn alone and have no tools or anything. Given access and the chance, I do enjoy working with my own car. When I was in high school I did consider mechanics as a second career choice but got a lot of lash back in my coop placement for being a girl. Figured it wasn’t worth the trouble when I had all the requirements to follow another career path.

Anyway, I’ll PM you guys. Any help is much appreciated.