www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 3rd, 2018, 11:44   #1
boodles

Default Anyone in GTA with knowledge on Strut Replacement

Ugh. So I just claimed my problems were solved in another thread. I think we fixed one problem only to uncover another.

At this point Iím so frustrated and fed up and broke. Essentially my stepdad said he couldnít do the struts on my car, then he decided he could. Then he had a hard time because itís a VW and not the same as any other car anyone in my family has ever owned (every car they have ever owned has been American made-Chevy, Dodge, Pontiac, etc). Now I have two struts that I donít think either of are working properly, no one willing to take another look, and canít afford to send the car into a full shop after having my job slashed with the wage hike.

Please, can anyone in the Toronto area help me out? Take a look/know somewhere cheap but good I can take the car for a second look, or something.

Right now I have a drivers side strut that looks like itís supporting the car but making some noise on turning, a passenger strut that doesnít seem to be supporting the car, and the car still sounds like a freight train when it hits potholes.

Please help.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 13:20   #2
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Did they put the other Napa strut in? To bad you weren’t closer I’d look at just to see what’s going on, no charge, just curious, after your other thread.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 16:20   #3
narongc73
Veteran Member

Struts are damn easy in any car...make sure top nut is tight.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 21:23   #4
boodles

The did put the other identical strut in.
If I had a passport I’d drive there if you could fix it. If your actually in Lawrenceville PA it’s only 5 hours, what’s another $100 in gas. Not gunna find anywhere her to fix it for $100 unless another member from this forum in Ontario offers up services.

But now I seem to have two different problems. One seems to be not doing is job, the front passenger corner of the car is significantly low, and has a lot of bounce when tested (as if it’s a worn out strut). While the drivers side is just making a ton of noise.

The problem with my family is they half ass everything and if they don’t have the right tools they “make it work”. At this point there’s so much going on I don’t know what to do and can’t afford to sink any more money into it now. It already cost me $460 for the struts, and about $100 worth of gas driving back and forth from my place to the shop three times. Still cheaper than the alternative, but obviously not in the long run if I now have to pay someone else to look at it anyway.

Last edited by boodles; February 3rd, 2018 at 21:29.
boodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 03:42   #5
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Yeah about 2.5 south of buffalo.

Maybe your best bet is to try and find someone local explain what happened and see if they’ll work with you.

Last edited by Tdijarhead; February 4th, 2018 at 03:44.
Old February 4th, 2018, 18:53   #6
boodles

Place I went to today wants the full price for a suspension inspection and and to replace the strut as if it was the first time and not already new if anything is wrong with it :/ so much for “neighboor hood guys”.
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:53   #7
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodles View Post
Place I went to today wants the full price for a suspension inspection and and to replace the strut as if it was the first time and not already new if anything is wrong with it :/ so much for “neighboor hood guys”.
Sorry about your predicament, but you are expecting too much for another shop to do things without them removing possible liability of responsibility of what was done. They don't want to mix up previous crap work and possibly compromised parts that you now have on your car with their work. I would keep trying to find someone who might have a different view though.

Last edited by jokila; February 5th, 2018 at 07:04.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:44   #8
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Just find a good local shop. Try a referral service to weed them out, Angies, Home Advisor, Car Talk are ones I've used.
Like jokila I don't quite understand your statement on the work quote.
Any good mechanic will approach a repair in a comprehensive manner, they should go over the whole system. For example if they find a control arm bent, you want to know about it.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:50   #9
ianfar

The struts don't hold up the car, the springs do. The struts control the bounce of the springs.

It sounds like you need springs. When the strut bearing seizes, turning the wheel forces the springs to bind in their mounts. Eventually the springs break.

Mine broke near the top. Have a look up in the wheel wells. It should be obvious if they are broken.

Search up the replacement on YouTube. If you still need help, PM me.

Be forewarned, I am a backyard hack, not a mechanic!
ianfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 09:55   #10
boodles

The whole system was replaced. The strut, spring, bushing, everything.

I don’t need the whole car inspected. I need the two new strut assemblies checked out and figure out what’s wrong with which one, if anything. It’s all 100% brand new parts just put in. The problem is either they are in incorrectly, or a part was faulty when baught, but since the two look different, I’m not sure what it’s supposed to look like like so I can’t even say which one is right.

Last edited by boodles; February 5th, 2018 at 10:04.
boodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 10:00   #11
boodles

I already know the car has other problems but I can’t afford to fix them all right now. I’ve forked over $600 into two new strut assemblies, I need this fixed and finished before I even think about working on the other problems the car has.

I bought the car real cheap for cash, and I’ve been slowly putting money into it, but it’s taking time. Regardless, it gets me where I need to be, it’s a nice little car, and I didn’t have to take out a loan or put it on payments.
Old February 5th, 2018, 16:32   #12
P2B
Veteran Member

I have replaced struts on these cars a few times so I know how they are supposed to look.

I'm at DVP & 401 and willing to pull the front wheels and take a proper look provided it's not too nasty out - PM me.

Simon
2000 Canyon Red Jetta TDI GLS 300K
P2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 18:13   #13
j_martell
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly

^^ as above, I'm well versed...where are you located? I live in Elora (just north of guelph) and work in Cambridge, and will travel (within reason) to help a fellow TDI'er out

PM me

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
j_martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 18:43   #14
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

If you take one of these guys up on their offer, make sure you watch, listen and ask about anything you don’t understand. When you own a car and have a distinct lack of funds it helps to be able to do your own work.

I found that out at 19 when I bought my first car. Good luck.
Old February 5th, 2018, 18:49   #15
boodles

Ah I know all too well. In fact I am capable of changing my own tires, doing an oil change and other small repairs, but I live in a small apretemtn alone and have no tools or anything. Given access and the chance, I do enjoy working with my own car. When I was in high school I did consider mechanics as a second career choice but got a lot of lash back in my coop placement for being a girl. Figured it wasn’t worth the trouble when I had all the requirements to follow another career path.

Anyway, I’ll PM you guys. Any help is much appreciated.