www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 5th, 2018, 12:31   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The ALH Golfs and Jettas, with the proper 195-65-15-91H tires, will turn just shy of 3000 RPMs at an indicated 80 MPH. A wee bit more than the manuals.

If you have the wrong size tires, then who knows.... but you can easily confirm the correct transmission by the 3 digit code in the case, visible from above, near the starter flange.

Most ALHs got the FDB, but they could also get EPB, ELT, and ECN. May be others, too.
Old February 5th, 2018, 15:34   #17
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLTOO View Post
Thankyou for all the information. I looked up carfax and it look slike the tranny was replaced at 40000 miles already. Man them trannies must be a piece of work.

Another question. The car has 205 size tires on it. how much will this effect the gas mileage and how far off will it make the speedometer for mph and calculating mpg?
Get a GPS app for your smartphone and display the mph while you drive and set your vehicle on a flat stretch of road where you can put the cruise control on and compare.

Generally, the speedometer indicates about 2 mph faster than the actual speed over ground.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 15:57   #18
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokila View Post
Get a GPS app for your smartphone and display the mph while you drive and set your vehicle on a flat stretch of road where you can put the cruise control on and compare.

Generally, the speedometer indicates about 2 mph faster than the actual speed over ground.
Or use a real GPS...
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 23:47   #19
DSLTOO

you guys are awesome, thanks for all the help

Im going to order a panzer plate and then i found a clunking in the front on bumpy road im going to have to figure out what that is
DSLTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 11:11   #20
UhOh
Veteran Member

3,400 is definitely way too high. Not sure what it should be as I don't often drive an 01m car, but for sure it's a fair bit lower than this (doubt it's over 3,000 rpm). Good bet the TC is not locking up. Because there hasn't been any codes presented one really has no idea what is going on with this transmission. I'd at least look to get it scanned. Might be that one can bilk a few more miles out of this transmission by changing filter and fluid. I'm trying to extend the live of one with a new, rebuilt valve body (codes indicated that there's a chance it was the VB). Look around for CoolAirVW's threads on 01m issues: I got a rebuilt valve body from him.

Google around for "boertje transmission swap." I've got one of his old cars that he'd done an auto-to-manual swap on (lucky me, it's a 6spd!).

Cost depends on clutch (if going with a new one, AND, if going with an upgraded/performance clutch) and labor. Lower end somewhere around $750; high end close to $3k (6spd).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 14:16   #21
djrhetoric
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLTOO View Post
you guys are awesome, thanks for all the help
and then i found a clunking in the front on bumpy road im going to have to figure out what that is
Front sway bar bushings
djrhetoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 14:22   #22
UhOh
Veteran Member

^^^ yeah, if going straight forward. One can get one's eye on these things to see if there's a gap around the rubber; if there is then there's a match. Do proper research before attempting to replace as these things can be a pain to do (they're deceptive).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote