www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 1st, 2018, 09:13   #16
BleachedBora

...just because something is discontinued in the US doesn't mean it's discontinued everywhere. Nor does it automatically make it obsolete.
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 09:44   #17
Kerma_tuned

Fuel Economy: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachedBora View Post
...just because something is discontinued in the US doesn't mean it's discontinued everywhere. Nor does it automatically make it obsolete.
I myself woud never say its absolete!😀 but the vendor(kerma) i use no longer sells it.......
As per feedback I have also ordered tuscan connecting rods and colt stage 3 billet camshaft......think intercooler will be held off until next paycheck hehe
Kerma_tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 09:49   #18
Kerma_tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
OP, from Kerma's website:
The New!! Kerma 17plus for ALH and BEW engines. The 17plus comes with a new 52mm aerodynamically engineered billet wheel (doka version) that helps dramatically increase compressor burst resistance and allows higher shaft speeds.
-Kerma exclusive replacement for the popular (but now obsolete) 17/22.
I am not trying to be an a$$, I just don't want you to be confused about which turbo is which.
Hey Nevada..appreciate your feedback!😉
My sole reason for saying 17/26 is from a quote on there site

"I HAVE A FULLY BUILD JETTA TDI ALH FROM KERMA, I USED TO HAVE A 17/22 AND MADE 203HP 345FT TQ WITH IT, BUT IT SURGED ALOT. THEN I BOUGHT THE 17PLUS (17/26) AND I MADE 238HP AND 398FT TQ AND IT'S TONS SMOOTHER AND WAY MORE RESPONSIVE. I LOVE THIS TURBO! MY EGTS DROPPED BY 250 DEGREES WITH THIS TURBO"
They only have one turbo called 17plus on there website.
Old February 1st, 2018, 09:53   #19
BleachedBora

Intercooler???

Edmonton, AB, Canada
Thursday 10:00 AM
Cloudy
-20F | -1C
Precipitation: 43%
Humidity: 69%
Wind: 3 mph
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 12:20   #20
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerma_tuned View Post

"I HAVE A FULLY BUILD JETTA TDI ALH FROM KERMA, I USED TO HAVE A 17/22 AND MADE 203HP 345FT TQ WITH IT, BUT IT SURGED ALOT. THEN I BOUGHT THE 17PLUS (17/26) AND I MADE 238HP AND 398FT TQ AND IT'S TONS SMOOTHER AND WAY MORE RESPONSIVE. I LOVE THIS TURBO! MY EGTS DROPPED BY 250 DEGREES WITH THIS TURBO"
Okay, I understand now where you got the info from; the post you have quoted is why you wrote 17/26. What the poster says is quite believable the Kerma turbo will push more air at a lower RPM and also across the power band. The "new" 17/22 has a better designed wheel than the old one did and the difference between the two turbo is literally night and day.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 17:50   #21
senso

I also plan on tunning my ALH a bit more, but I have a massive doubt, I have just made an home made remap(by just I mean almost 1 year ago and already drove almost 20k km's on it), and by comparing its in the 120hp ballpark, and my gearbox is sooooo short for the measly 120hp(if that), I makes a bit above 120mph(205Km/h on the clock) at almost 4600 rpm, I can take 3rd and 4th gear all the way to 5k rpm, but I cant see the car being all that much usable with 150hp or more on the original 5 speed.

My remap is torque limited down low, so I dont murder my clutch, but even then, in polished parts of the road(like an on/off ramp) and pedal to the metal it will spin in 2nd.

Is my gearbox some strange short geared model?

My plans is suspension first, then 6 speed convertion, then turbo(still un-decided between a small 1549vz or go balls out to a 1752vrk), then injectors, FMIC, and lots of remaps in between.

Last edited by senso; February 3rd, 2018 at 17:52. Reason: more info
senso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 18:58   #22
Kerma_tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by senso View Post
I also plan on tunning my ALH a bit more, but I have a massive doubt, I have just made an home made remap(by just I mean almost 1 year ago and already drove almost 20k km's on it), and by comparing its in the 120hp ballpark, and my gearbox is sooooo short for the measly 120hp(if that), I makes a bit above 120mph(205Km/h on the clock) at almost 4600 rpm, I can take 3rd and 4th gear all the way to 5k rpm, but I cant see the car being all that much usable with 150hp or more on the original 5 speed.

My remap is torque limited down low, so I dont murder my clutch, but even then, in polished parts of the road(like an on/off ramp) and pedal to the metal it will spin in 2nd.

Is my gearbox some strange short geared model?

My plans is suspension first, then 6 speed convertion, then turbo(still un-decided between a small 1549vz or go balls out to a 1752vrk), then injectors, FMIC, and lots of remaps in between.
Ya i was thinking about a 6speed conversion😉 but ive spent a litttle over $5000cad this month so im holding off haha and im running high 4000's at 180kmph too

Are you running 120ish HP on the stock engine?
Old February 3rd, 2018, 19:11   #23
senso

Totally stock, Mann air filter, Bosch oil and fuel filter, the turbo is the stock 1749V, spikes up to 1.2 bars, stable 1.1 bars, smoke map is calculated up to 800mg/stroke for 17:1 AFR and at most it goes 50.5-50.8 mg of fuel injected. A bit of haze when cold, then it clean.

And for fun, 16.8 seconds on the quarter mile, the Jetta sure is a fat car.

It sure is a nice upgrade from the stock maps and the car feels a lot more lively, and with moderated driving it got better fuel mileage!

Being EU based I can get a 6 speed swap for around 500€, plus 250-300€ for a new dual mass clutch+flywheel from a PD150 that will handle a lot of abuse and avoid all the shudder/chatter of a single mass.
senso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 13:24   #24
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachedBora View Post
Intercooler???
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Thursday 10:00 AM
Cloudy
-20F | -1C
Precipitation: 43%
Humidity: 69%
Wind: 3 mph
Funny guy,

It does get warmer there, but only for a few months,
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 21:10   #25
tjpeterson96

TDI(s): 04 bew jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerma_tuned View Post
You are correct. It looks like after Kerma phased out the 17/22 he called his replacement the 17/26. (this can still be found my searching using the search bar on kerma website) which then phased into the 17plus that has the exact same specs. i looked into all this because i was bored and stumbled upon this thread
tjpeterson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 21:26   #26
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I guess we are all stuck in the semantics portion of the discussion. The "real" 17/22's are no longer made by Garrett, so anything available in that size is a custom hybrid and custom hybrids are quite cool... What Kerma now sells has a 52mm compressor in a vnt-17 frame, as the "real" 17/22's were 52mm compressor wheels in a vnt-20 frame.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Old February 9th, 2018, 22:23   #27
tjpeterson96

TDI(s): 04 bew jetta

Quote:
I guess we are all stuck in the semantics portion of the discussion. The "real" 17/22's are no longer made by Garrett, so anything available in that size is a custom hybrid and custom hybrids are quite cool... What Kerma now sells has a 52mm compressor in a vnt-17 frame, as the "real" 17/22's were 52mm compressor wheels in a vnt-20 frame.
hmm thats very interesting. what ever kerma calls their custom hybrid, i wonder how they compare in performance. kerma's having the same size compressor wheel inside a smaller frame
tjpeterson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 09:52   #28
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

With the same shaft RPM as a stock vnt-17 there will be more boost pressure as well as more air volume in pounds than the stock compressor wheel would produce. The billet compressor wheel should help the turbo come up on spool at a somewhat lower RPM as well creating better throttle response with proper fueling and tuning.
I have a 56mm wheel machined into a vnt-15 cold side, and my turbo spools crazy fast even though I live at 4600' elevation; I literally start building solid boost right off of idle.

Last edited by Nevada_TDI; February 11th, 2018 at 10:14.
Old February 11th, 2018, 12:16   #29
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
With the same shaft RPM as a stock vnt-17 there will be more boost pressure as well as more air volume in pounds than the stock compressor wheel would produce. The billet compressor wheel should help the turbo come up on spool at a somewhat lower RPM as well creating better throttle response with proper fueling and tuning.
I have a 56mm wheel machined into a vnt-15 cold side, and my turbo spools crazy fast even though I live at 4600' elevation; I literally start building solid boost right off of idle.
I did the same turbo thanks to Nevada doing it, and its a very good, mild upgrade for not much money.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2018, 07:52   #30
Kerma_tuned

Edited and gave a little bit of an update to my post!