www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 11th, 2018, 08:58   #16
Gavin312

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Stopping at 14 might not be the problem, though it would be good to work on this. Could be exercising things a bit could help.

Now it would be good to see what kind of vacuum the system is making available.
I removed the top (vac) from the N75 and attached it to my mityvac..... when the cars started it reads 24Ē hg ...... is that what your talking about?
Gavin312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 09:26   #17
UhOh
Veteran Member

OK, sounds like you've got ample vacuum.

I'd look to work that actuator, hoping to help free things up.

Still baffling as to what could have cause so sudden of a change.

If you log boost do you see anything? (here's a guide to performance logging)

Do you hear any unusual sounds? Split boost hoses usually aren't visually detectable, splits only opening up under pressure. It's this kind of thing that would tend to match the suddenness and conditions that you're seeing.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 10:16   #18
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

You can pressure up the boost tubing with an adapter that fits into the incoming air hose. I made one for $20 but sold it last year. Here is similar to what I made:

https://www.ebay.com/i/142420107085?chn=ps
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 20:19   #19
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin312 View Post
New N75 just installed..... checked the pipes and they all appear to be in good shape, plus no smoke black or otherwise. when the car went into limp mode or the turbo went out, whichever it was, there was no sound but just lost power.
If I understand you correctly the car starts and has power then looses it?
That would be limp mode.
Shutting the car for 5 seconds and re-starting should bring it back.
You other post indicating the turbo arm being full at 14 could be the arm sticking inside the turbo or the actuator full of rust/garbage and not able to move.
VW was a bulletin about them rusting internally.
To take it off is the vacuum hose, 2 nuts and 1 clip.
Shake it to see if rust falls out.
Nest move the arm on the turbo full range to see if it hits the stops.
If not put some effort in it.
Some have indicated working it back & forth for 5 minutes has helped. Did not have to do it on mine that long.
Last, when reassembling it tie a length of sewing thread to the clip and add a nut on the other end to make it easier to find the clip when it fly's.
There's a couple in my chassis somewhere.
For the test you did for vacuum on the N75, try teeing the gauge into the line.
You should get slightly less vacuum and it should drop when you take off.
At least mine does.
Second last, I found a crack in my boost tube by spraying soapy water on the tubes and hoses with the car running.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 09:32   #20
Gavin312

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonneber View Post
If I understand you correctly the car starts and has power then looses it?
That would be limp mode.
Shutting the car for 5 seconds and re-starting should bring it back.
You other post indicating the turbo arm being full at 14 could be the arm sticking inside the turbo or the actuator full of rust/garbage and not able to move.
VW was a bulletin about them rusting internally.
To take it off is the vacuum hose, 2 nuts and 1 clip.
Shake it to see if rust falls out.
Nest move the arm on the turbo full range to see if it hits the stops.
If not put some effort in it.
Some have indicated working it back & forth for 5 minutes has helped. Did not have to do it on mine that long.
Last, when reassembling it tie a length of sewing thread to the clip and add a nut on the other end to make it easier to find the clip when it fly's.
There's a couple in my chassis somewhere.
For the test you did for vacuum on the N75, try teeing the gauge into the line.
You should get slightly less vacuum and it should drop when you take off.
At least mine does.
Second last, I found a crack in my boost tube by spraying soapy water on the tubes and hoses with the car running.
Hi, thanks for the info....... I was probably not all that clear, but it seems thereís just really low boost and it doesnít reset when I turn the car off.

VCDS shows some boost at idle and it does rise when I rev the car but itís constantly lower than what shows as requested. The actuator does cycle when testing, however thereís no change in the engine/turbo sound when it cycles.

Also when I rev the engine (when not testing) the acuator doesnít move at all..... I believe it should start to move? when the car is started it moves to the stop but doesnít move at all until the car is shut off when it releases.

Vacuum seems to hold as you can see from my earlier posts

I just received a new acuator and will replace that and I will spray some soapy water on the charge and intake pipes to double check.... other than that could it just be a bad turbo?

Iím so confused 🤔😤
Old February 12th, 2018, 09:44   #21
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin312 View Post
Hi, thanks for the info....... I was probably not all that clear, but it seems thereís just really low boost and it doesnít reset when I turn the car off.

VCDS shows some boost at idle and it does rise when I rev the car but itís constantly lower than what shows as requested. The actuator does cycle when testing, however thereís no change in the engine/turbo sound when it cycles.

Also when I rev the engine (when not testing) the acuator doesnít move at all..... I believe it should start to move? when the car is started it moves to the stop but doesnít move at all until the car is shut off when it releases.

Vacuum seems to hold as you can see from my earlier posts

I just received a new acuator and will replace that and I will spray some soapy water on the charge and intake pipes to double check.... other than that could it just be a bad turbo?

Iím so confused 🤔😤
Please state what data groups you're looking at so that we're sure you're looking at the right things.

In general you're not going to get any boost showing up unless the engine is under a load- at rest you're not going to get meaningful info/data.

If not for the fact that you've stated that this pretty much came on all of a sudden I'd suspect that this problem is due to intake clogging. BUT, we really need to see actual data from logs. Again, Malone's site is the best guide on how to do this: AND, they also have a nifty feature in which you can upload a data file (drag and drop) and generate graphs (you can then grab the generated web page link and pass that along- Malone keeps all this uploaded data).
Old February 12th, 2018, 17:23   #22
Gavin312

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Please state what data groups you're looking at so that we're sure you're looking at the right things.

In general you're not going to get any boost showing up unless the engine is under a load- at rest you're not going to get meaningful info/data.

If not for the fact that you've stated that this pretty much came on all of a sudden I'd suspect that this problem is due to intake clogging. BUT, we really need to see actual data from logs. Again, Malone's site is the best guide on how to do this: AND, they also have a nifty feature in which you can upload a data file (drag and drop) and generate graphs (you can then grab the generated web page link and pass that along- Malone keeps all this uploaded data).
Group 11 is what Iím watching..... so I replaced the acuator since I had the new one. Checked the movement on the VNT lever and it didnít have any problems, it actually moved a lot easier than I thought it would and through the entire range. Also sprayed soapy water on all the intake pipes and hoses... nothing leaking. Iíll run the logs when I get a chance and see what happens.

Same problem...... it just really seems like the turbo isnít spooling up at all. Otherwise the car runs great lol 😂
Old March 4th, 2018, 20:26   #23
Gavin312

Found the problem ....... there was a rattle in my catalytic converter so while I was chasing down the power problem I removed the converter and found that it was broken inside and blocking the exhaust. I cleaned it all up, reinstalled the cat, and the car runs like a champ!!!
Old March 7th, 2018, 02:11   #24
UhOh
Veteran Member

WOW! That's great news.