www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old January 31st, 2018, 12:17   #16
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
maybe look into using a toyota trans and t case ? the nissan gearboxes use failure prone keys to affix the main input counter gear instead of splines... they don't hold up well with the relatively torqueless gas motor

Although I have zero experience with a Toyota or Nissan TDI conversion project, I can attest to what Jimbote is saying about the Nissan transmission.

My son had a Nissan that looks just like this one, 4X4 too. The Tranny bit the dust at about 90k miles. It sit parked in his back yard for 4 years with a junk yard tranny laying in the bed. About three months ago, he traded it off, as is, for 150 hours labor on the farm at $10.00 per hour ($1,500.00). The body and frame was rust free.
Old January 31st, 2018, 18:45   #17
casey823
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg with auto jetta, 50+ with the golf

I swapped out a trans in my friends 95 d21 a few months ago because he had some gear whine from the trans in 5th gear only and that original trans had 290k miles on it. He's had never changed the trans fluid either. This trans was behind the v6 also, hell his clutch lasted to 270k...If these trans get a bad rap, his must be the irregular one haha.
casey823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 17:41   #18
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

I am on the optimistic side of this transmission discussion obviously haha. There is a whole forum (ka-t.org) dedicated to boosting the gas engine that came in my truck (ka24e) and on there I read a couple of threads talking about the strength of the transmission. It is the same trans for the 240sx and the 4 cylinder hardbody trucks and those people seem to think that it is fairly strong. 400 to 500 whp is what they see as a limit. This of course is as long as the trans is not being shock loaded, ie drag racing, clutch kicking/drifting and the like. Smooth shifting on an already healthy transmission and it should last.

When I went looking for a clutch for this swap I came across ACT (Advanced Clutch Technology). I put in my trucks year make and model into the website and what do know, the weakest clutch kit they offer for my application is rated for 410 ft/lbs of torque. There highest was a little over 600 ft/lbs. Anyway I bought the 410 knowing that it would be at least 100 ft/lbs stronger than I needed.

I have put on a little over 1000 km (600 miles) on the swap so far. The clutch does not slip whatsoever and I try to shift as smoothly as possible. I have Redline synthetic oil in the trans and it feels nice.

Just thought I would let you guys know why I am thinking that the trans is going to be ok.
J.Klassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 19:46   #19
Motohead1
Veteran Member

So this used the nissan flywheel? How much does a KA flywheel weigh? I started with a stockish 26lbs flywheel (I6 jeep) but later went with a centerforce unit thats in the 43lbs range. Helped quiet the rattling countershaft in my trans. I think is does a great job of softening the pulse shock inherent is 4 cyl diesel.
Old February 4th, 2018, 12:47   #20
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

Yes I used the stock Nissan flywheel. I just weighed my spare and it is 20.5lbs. It would have bolted up to the tdi if vw had not used a weird crank bolt pattern where two of the holes are closer together than the rest. I have not noticed any funny rattling noises coming from the trans.
Old February 4th, 2018, 13:07   #21
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

Alright intercooler time. If any of you guys have ever seen the space between the grille and the AC condensor on a Hardbody you'll know that there is no room for a traditional air/air intercooler in there. So my other option was air/water and I am really happy I went this route. As you will see charge piping becomes extremely minimal.

First pic, air/water cooler and chopped alh intake manifold.

Mock up time

This was my first time TIG welding aluminum and I could not have picked a harder project. Welding crappy cast aluminum to scrap checker plate was a little difficult.

Test fit on engine time.

Duct tape the two together and put the turbo under it to see whats what.

Add a mounting point for the 4 bar map sensor.

Then turn the two pieces into one and hey, you have a custom air/water intercooler. Welding the checker plate to the air/water core was a lot easier than the cast part.
Old February 4th, 2018, 17:02   #22
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
cool project BTW, maybe the trans will be fine but i've personally seen keyway failures on 2wd and 4wd trucks ...
Do you know what lead to the keyway failure? I am interested in knowing if maybe it was a bad rebuild, lack of maintenance, or just abuse of the trans.

Also I had kinda looked into the toyota trans but decided I didn't need anymore complication in the project. At the time I read your thread you had issues with the adapter you were using and I don't think Randy(EvGuy) had his toyota adapter made yet. What side does the t-case output on? My front diff is on the driver's side.
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:20   #23
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

You could run a separate cold water cooling tank with a circulating pump with that setup. I have seen that mod done on an AMG550. They run a water cooled intercooler too, but some make it cooler yet.
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 10:41   #24
5cyl

Fuel Economy: 43

This makes me so happy cuz i literally had this idea pop in my head yesterday. Subbed for sure.
5cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 19:46   #25
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq import repair View Post
You could run a separate cold water cooling tank with a circulating pump with that setup. I have seen that mod done on an AMG550. They run a water cooled intercooler too, but some make it cooler yet.
I do have a small tank for water and a pump that will complete the air/water setup. It will be shown later on in the pics. I didn't go crazy and make it so that I could add ice though.
Old February 7th, 2018, 20:00   #26
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cyl View Post
This makes me so happy cuz i literally had this idea pop in my head yesterday. Subbed for sure.
The air/water part or the whole truck build?
Old February 7th, 2018, 20:13   #27
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

The eagle eyed among you probably already guessed what turbo I am using from the previous post. It is a GTB1756vk with vacuum conversion. From everything I could learn about the turbo options for these engines and my power goals, this turbo was the best choice.

Sitting beside the microscopic oem trubo.

I clamped the turbo flange to the turbine housing and there seemed to be a rather large step issue going on.

That was not going to be good for flow and EGTs. So out came the carbide burr and after a decent amount of time the step was no more.
Old February 8th, 2018, 08:18   #28
5cyl

Fuel Economy: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Klassen View Post
The air/water part or the whole truck build?
The whole build. I think if i do it i want to go for more of a lowered 2wd type deal.

Just read the disclosure that its actually done. got any mpg numbers?
5cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 21:50   #29
A-man930

What exhaust manifold will you be using?
A-man930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 20:11   #30
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cyl View Post
The whole build. I think if i do it i want to go for more of a lowered 2wd type deal.
Just read the disclosure that its actually done. got any mpg numbers?
Sounds cool, the 2wd part should help you quite a bit. You will see later the kind of oil pan mods that needed to be done for 4wd.

As far as mpg I am quite happy so far. Being that it is winter right now and all my trips are quite short (10km one way to work) I have averaged exactly 25 mpg on my first two tanks. I am on the third right now. I also have not got the final tune done by Malone yet because our roads are no good for data logging right now. The previous couple of winters I would got 15mpg at best. The tank is only 60L so those last couple of tanks I went 518km and then had to put in 49L of diesel. Before I had to fill up and I had only gone 250-270km.