www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 1st, 2018, 11:25   #16
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garreth5 View Post
CAI can improve throttle response and sound but not mpg.
Can you show proof of improved throttle response? What do you consider improved sound? more noise? I like a nice quiet car with good mpg and would not spend a dime to make it have your so-called improved sound.

Last edited by MichaelB; February 1st, 2018 at 12:00.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 13:05   #17
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What do you consider improved sound?
Turbo whistle man... it gives the teens a little lift in their pants.
Old February 1st, 2018, 13:09   #18
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
for what its worth, the stock air box can handle 250hp no problem
the airbox and paper filter can, but that ridiculously small snorkel that goes around the battery can't, even with the snow screen cut out.. A VR6 snorkel is enough to do the trick..
Old February 1st, 2018, 13:11   #19
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Sounds a little like the Dodge Demon CAI. A tdi with similar arrangement probably wouldn't be banned by the NHRA though .
lol for the 97th time, the car itself isn't banned by the NHRA... they'll only ban you if you actually run a sub 10 second pass
Old February 1st, 2018, 14:20   #20
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, I know, but potentially banned by the NHRA just doesn't have the same ring to it . The ram air headlights are pretty cool(hellcat has them too), you have to admit.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 15:10   #21
PB_NB
Veteran Member

I am pretty excited about the ram air systems that have an electric fan in them.

Sort of like a pre-turbo turbine! Could get up to 10 psi pre-turbo at a stand still. Down side would be the need to run a second battery and those wimpy hoses and clamps would need to be changed out to support the increased pressure.

I wonder what the MAF would think about that! And the MAP sensor. I wonder if we could throttle down the VNT vanes and still get the same boost in the end!

Look out sub 10 seconds! Here we come soot and all!
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 04:40   #22
dubStrom
Veteran Member

My old ALH has a new Garret and it has a sweet sounding whistle that pops up after idling for a minute or two. Goes away when you get moving (or I am going deaf). My 2014 had a nice subtle turbo whistle, and you could hear it spool up in parking lots and low speed acceleration when wind/traffic noise wasn't too loud. It sounded cool.

My 2015 turbo is silent. I don't think turbo sound qualifies as noise, and wish I could hear it.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 09:21   #23
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Yeah, I know, but potentially banned by the NHRA just doesn't have the same ring to it . The ram air headlights are pretty cool(hellcat has them too), you have to admit.
yeah they are pretty cool for sure.. I'm curious to see how many people get tossed from Island dragway this summer for running 9's without a roll bar.. I feel like most Demon owners aren't going to be blasting out 9's without some practice.. (your original reply came through in my email lmao)
Old February 9th, 2018, 19:20   #24
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
I am pretty excited about the ram air systems that have an electric fan in them.

Sort of like a pre-turbo turbine! Could get up to 10 psi pre-turbo at a stand still. Down side would be the need to run a second battery and those wimpy hoses and clamps would need to be changed out to support the increased pressure.

I wonder what the MAF would think about that! And the MAP sensor. I wonder if we could throttle down the VNT vanes and still get the same boost in the end!

Look out sub 10 seconds! Here we come soot and all!
LINK PLEASE, im dying to know what this new magic vodoo is!
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 19:29   #25
PB_NB
Veteran Member

This is another high quality product from?? You guessed it "ebay"!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Tu...-/261497959604
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
Old February 9th, 2018, 19:31   #26
PB_NB
Veteran Member

This one looks a bit more reputable:

http://shop.bankspower.com/i-511-418...ctric-fan.html
Old February 9th, 2018, 21:55   #27
tjpeterson96

TDI(s): 04 bew jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
This is another high quality product from?? You guessed it "ebay"!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Tu...-/261497959604
WOW for the low, low price of $300 one can bypass the law of conservation of energy and thermodynamics
tjpeterson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 13:07   #28
hey_allen
Veteran Member

Yep, plenty of articles debunking the intake electric fans.

If you really want an electric supercharger, they do exist, but they use what look like a trio of starter motors, and a HUGE battery bank to feed them, for ~12 seconds.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...-supercharger/

The little ones with little computer cooling fans in them? not a chance in the world of even flowing the air required for an engine, much less pushing positive pressure to gain performance.
Assuming that they could push that much pressure, then you're looking at the electrical-mechanical efficiencies
The typical brushless DC motor isn't all that great, so you're loosing power with an alternator charging the battery, and then loosing a little more taking the power from the battery and using it to run a motor.

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...gers-the-truth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGWgvJN1_8

http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/eturbo.aspx

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/ele...gers-debunked/

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-dif...ger-1795017793

Happy reading!
hey_allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 20:52   #29
KLXD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
short answer, no. the best fuel econ is with a clean stock air box that the ecu expects and making sure that the MAF stays clean. Check the sticky on cold air intakes please.
any aftermarket air intake other than a Swiss cheese mod on the stock airbox and a cat air filter check is a waste of money and is hurting your engine and you will suffer power loss and bad fuel econ and trash parts like the MAF, engine bearings ect.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373
I'd think the Swiss cheese mod would allow hot engine compartment air in instead of cooler air from the stock location.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 09:46   #30
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Get yourself a stout leaf blower lol... That'll give you some ram air...