www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old January 22nd, 2018, 13:39   #1
DrgRnnr
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 Jetta
Exclamation Netflix Special on VW - “Hard NOx”

This will be the first episode of their new series called Dirty Money. It will be available to view starting this Friday, 1/26.

I expect this to release some previously not so public information about the whole debacle. It will also help shed light on why so many Opt-out's are holding strong to their decision to not accept the class action settlement.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 16:09   #2
texsize

Fuel Economy: jetta 2013 42MPG avg.

thanks for the heads up.
texsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 01:18   #3
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Looking forward to it!

2015 VW Golf SportWagen TDI S, 6-speed manual
2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 6.7L Cummins, 6-speed manual
Miss_Athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 07:39   #4
danimalk

sweet! Will definitely be watching.
danimalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 07:59   #5
DSL HED
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a gas engine

I've watched about half of it so far. Pretty good overall. The balls of some of the VW executives must be made of titanium.

Edit/Update: Watched the whole thing. No way in hell that I'll buy another VW now, especially after seeing the last 20 minutes of the episode. Pretty disturbing what they wanted to do to some monkeys.

Last edited by DSL HED; January 26th, 2018 at 13:28. Reason: Updating post
DSL HED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 18:23   #6
Rico567
Veteran Member

They lost me in this "shockumentary" when they pulled a Godwin* less than five minutes in. This video contributed nothing to my understanding of Dieselgate.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 21:37   #7
miningman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Well worth watching but as my vw is a 2003 I'm not really affected , nor do I have a strong opinion on dieselgate. Certainly animal lovers will not like the monkey treatment. Perhaps I'm biased or uninformed, but as someone who worked in the underground mining industry, my colleagues and I were exposed to levels of NOx many times higher than anything in polluted LA or Mexico city ever endured. I think it fair to say the producers of this show have an agenda.
miningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 23:03   #8
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
They lost me in this "shockumentary" when they pulled a Godwin* less than five minutes in. This video contributed nothing to my understanding of Dieselgate.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
I'm quite disappointed in the propaganda in the documentary, but the history is interesting.

Old January 26th, 2018, 23:11   #9
miningman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Propaganda is a good word. If an unbiased ambivalent member of the public, who had no special interest in vw etc etc, then watched episode 2 of the same series, i suspect that sub-conciously that member of the public would form a very negative view , just based on the implied association between vw and unscrupulous payday lenders.
miningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 02:46   #10
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningman View Post
Propaganda is a good word. If an unbiased ambivalent member of the public, who had no special interest in vw etc etc, then watched episode 2 of the same series, i suspect that sub-conciously that member of the public would form a very negative view , just based on the implied association between vw and unscrupulous payday lenders.
Propaganda is a neutral concept. In the case of this documentary, the propaganda is opposed to major logic (criteriology), and therefore is extrinsically evil. I appreciate the factual information, but supposed-documentarians need to leave off the editorializing.

Old January 27th, 2018, 04:47   #11
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Athanatos View Post
I'm quite disappointed in the propaganda in the documentary, but the history is interesting.
That was the source of my problem with it— I've been following Dieselgate here on TDIClub since the story first broke, and I didn't see a single factual thing in that documentary that I hadn't already learned by reading here and following links various contributors put up.
If I didn't already appreciate TDIClub (which I do) that -by itself- would do it.

- Adam Savage
Old January 27th, 2018, 06:54   #12
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Um...facts or propaganda that VW lied again and again to the regulators to cover up their brazen disregard for our national laws? And all for a few dollars per car, and a few more dollars in holding down warranty payouts. They could have legally solved every challenge presented by the emissions regulations, but in case after case, they chose not to.

The only part of the documentary that bothered me a little was the discussion of city smog. They left the impression that little diesel cars are a big factor in it. (Even there, that is apparently true in Europe, where diesel is much more prevalent.) The claims of premature deaths did not arise from the film, but have been put forward by other organizations. The documentary did not fact check that claim, but that was not their brief.

2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)

Last edited by Mythdoc; January 27th, 2018 at 06:57.
Mythdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 08:46   #13
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
Um...facts or propaganda that VW lied again and again to the regulators to cover up their brazen disregard for our national laws? <snip>
No, that was (part) of the factual part. Assuming we both watched the same documentary, maybe you missed the propaganda portions the first time. Don't worry about it, you got (or maybe, like me, you already knew) the important stuff. But the relevant material was all mixed up with things that weren't, and that is a waste of my time.

- Adam Savage
Old January 27th, 2018, 08:54   #14
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

I did not watch it and can already guess it's a liberal propaganda piece of crap, just like CARB and the EPA who made regulations that were impossible to meet.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 10:29   #15
npb

All the more reason you should watch it and see for yourself.
npb is offline   Reply With Quote