www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old January 23rd, 2018, 14:11   #31
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q5TDI View Post
Have heard varying opinions on BMW reliability. I am considering an X5d or X3d after unloading my Q5. Any opinion on BMW reliability?
I joined a BMW diesel Facebook group with a lot of good information. Most of them recommend the 2013 and earlier models because they have two turbos and cost a lot less. A lot of people tune them and love the reliability.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2018, 16:23   #32
BarryT82
Veteran Member

The Chipwerke module is back on my wife’s car and it helped the power tremendously.
Old January 24th, 2018, 22:55   #33
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Depending on when and where in the USA you got your settlement software update on your TDI, you might not be running the same software update as someone else. So it would not be unthinkable to see a real mixed bag of reports back on performance and driveability post-"fix".

2015 VW Golf SportWagen TDI S, 6-speed manual
2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 6.7L Cummins, 6-speed manual
Miss_Athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 04:01   #34
Onetrack97

TDI(s): 2015 Q5 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Athanatos View Post
Depending on when and where in the USA you got your settlement software update on your TDI, you might not be running the same software update as someone else. So it would not be unthinkable to see a real mixed bag of reports back on performance and driveability post-"fix".
Sorry, there is no way that they are still tinkering with the software. That would be a big problem with the government lawyers.

It may learn some based upon altitude and temperature. Or, you really just weren’t very aware of how it operated before the change. Were you operating in Sport mode before the updates?
Old January 25th, 2018, 08:05   #35
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Athanatos View Post
Why so you believe that there are area specific tunes?

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 08:09   #36
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryT82 View Post
The Chipwerke module is back on my wife’s car and it helped the power tremendously.
Settings on the chip?

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (sold back to VW, May, 2018)
2015 Golf TDI 16K Miles (son’s)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 09:31   #37
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
Settings on the chip?
I left it the same
Old January 25th, 2018, 18:08   #38
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd1 View Post
Why so you believe that there are area specific tunes?
I think that VWs records keeping which has been exposed up to this point, as shown in dropping some mid-model year Gen. 1s from the settlement since they can't be "fixed" and the Gen. 1s with dsg transmissions that ended up ruined by the software "fix", is abysmal. The mixed bag of reports of no change for some and noticeable change for others could point to several things: applying one software update to cars with unrecorded mid-model year changes that are incompatible to the software update; or that there are differences in the update software because developments are continuing to be made.

Old January 25th, 2018, 18:21   #39
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetrack97 View Post
Sorry, there is no way that they are still tinkering with the software. That would be a big problem with the government lawyers.

It may learn some based upon altitude and temperature. Or, you really just weren’t very aware of how it operated before the change. Were you operating in Sport mode before the updates?
They're building new hardware for Phase 2 on the 2.0L vehicles...so they're definitely continuing software development in general. No one is scrutinizing, to my knowledge, the actual code being loaded on the vehicles computers, only the effect on emissions. As long as the CARB has signed off on the test vehicles results, there's nothing really preventing VW from continuing to develop and release "fix" updates over time like they did in the EU and UK. Which VW TDI owner whose car operation/performance has changed post-"fix" is going to lookup the CARB test protocol and standards and then test the emissions levels of their own cars?

Old January 26th, 2018, 08:23   #40
wensteph
Veteran Member

Had ours done. Drivability is the same, too early to tell about milage. Dealer invoice listed new O2 and NOx sensors. My thought is the change will be to dump more DEF.
wensteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 17:57   #41
Gumbus1514

TDI(s): 2014 Q5

12 miles worth of warm up mode? Most of my trips are <10 round trip now. Have watched MMI mpg drop from 40s to 20s with cruise set on a level road for no apparent reason. More noise and the Boss, who has a sense of smell that would make a blood hound jealous, registered the first complaint in 3 years about smell. Feeling screwed! Thinking I should go get a pre catalytic converter car, like a SS454 Chevelle. Might find great satisfaction in sending the CARB sprout heads a “my footprint just grew thanks to you” photo.
Gumbus1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 05:19   #42
Q5TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Q5

Got mine back last night after the fix. Zero perceivable difference in driving/warm up. Dealer forgot to fill the gas tank. I e-mailed, and since then, my service rep has called 3 times profusely apologizing.
Q5TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 15:12   #43
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

I heard a good story about

https://www.givemethevin.com

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (sold back to VW, May, 2018)
2015 Golf TDI 16K Miles (son’s)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 17:24   #44
flargabarg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Q5TDI View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to sell our 2014 Audi Q5 or if they are even selling? I have it listed on Craigslist, Auto Trader, some Facebook pages, etc, but there aren't a lot of people in Kansas, so not a lot of interest so far. It's only got 20,000 miles on it and lots of extras. Do we just list KBB or NADA for a price? We can't trade it in, since we already have two other vehicles and need the money for a down payment on a house, since my husband is retiring from the military. Any suggestions would be great appreciated. Thank You!!!
You can trade in a car even if you're not buying one. The dealership will still write you a check and negotiate just like normal, because they are planning to make money on the car.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 22:08   #45
MacDonald

2014 passat non reprogrammed 45 to 50 average mostly highway. Had a couple mid 60's trips with cruise set at 59 to 64, 2015 passat post dieselgate 26 to 28 average. Totally disappointed almost went with a gaser, totally ruined the tdis no point now that they stole the fuel mileage away. We went from seeing 750 to empty to 350 to empty. Driving the cars side by side the 14 smokes the 15 in every aspect. My Ram 2500 with a 6.7 cummins in it gets same mileage as the 15. I am ordering vag-com asap. My 05 jetta gets 48 with almost 300k on it.
MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote